Author Topic: Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special... Streaks  (Read 10341 times)

OCTARD

• View Profile
Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special... Streaks
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:19:44 AM »
This topic may seem like detail minutia to most, but something a few others on this forum may be able to answer for me.  Can anyone tell me why the blue stripes on certain Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Specials seem to be different?  Some of the period detail shots seem to show the Blue Streaks as:

• A single blue stripe between the two raised rubber molded ribs on the tire sidewall,
  • Two blue stripes painted on top of the raised rubber molded ribs on the tire sidewall.

To ease review, I've tried to pull pics only from 1968.  The first two pics attached show two 1968 Trans-Am Camaros.  One of a '68 Penske Camaro, and one of a '68 Yunick Camaro.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Re: Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special... Streaks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:27:15 AM »
And though not Blue Streaks on Camaros, here are some good color shots of the differences I speak of on the front tires of some Can-Am cars (all in 1968 races).

First some two stripe tires...

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:30:10 AM »
Again, not a Blue Streak on a Camaro, but here is a good "one stripe" tire shot on a Can-Am car in 1968...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:42:16 AM »
Chad, I've got several Goodyears (and a Firestone) from that era and all have the single stripe between the two ridges. I honestly have never noticed that some of the Goodyears had a double stripe like that. First I've seen of it. It looks on my old Goodyears that a mask or template is used to spray on the stripe between the two ridges. In absence of the mask or template, if someone were to apply the paint with a tiny roller or something, it would yield the double stripe arrangement.
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
Thanks Jon.  Good to know, and neat to hear of your collection of these tires. 

Perhaps I follow too much modern day Formula 1, but I was hoping to hear or learn that the difference was to signify something... Something like a designation of compound.

-Chad

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
Same here Chad,
I have never seen the dual stripe.
Mike

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »
Chad, I asked a friend about this who I thought might have some insight but his input was...

"That is very interesting, and I must say that I have never seen the dual blue stripes, even though I thought of myself as a "Goodyear Bluestreak afficianado". I have 4 NOS 7.00 X 15 Bluestreaks from Carroll Shelby vintage 1963 - 64 and they still have the stickers on them. My tires have the single blue stripe. Sorry I couldn't be more help."

I'll continue to ask around. Have you tried asking about this on the TNF website?
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:08 AM »
Thanks Jon.  I've asked the fellow who was at the each of the Can-Am races pictured.  I'll let the forum know if he can remember any significance.

-Chad