Author Topic: Trans Am brake cooling  (Read 7286 times)

DONCZ28

• View Profile
Trans Am brake cooling
« on: May 20, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »
 I noticed on the Penske cars ,that holes were drilled in front of the quarter panels ,to allow air to cool the rear brakes. Was duct work also used to direct air onto the brakes?

OCTARD

• View Profile
Re: Trans Am brake cooling
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 09:23:02 PM »
Hello Don,

Per Ron Fournier (master fabricator and Penske team member) in the Michael Argetsinger book, Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs,

"Mark asked me to do something about the air that was packing up in the front fenders and causing front-end lift.  Those spaces in the door and into the rear body fender were to allow the air to disperse.  And it worked really well.  What you don't see in the photographs is that there were also holes in front of the door and the rear of the front fender.  It was not for brake cooling as most people thought, although here may have been some secondary gain in that regard for the rear brakes.  When they made us close up the holes we went to a larger chin spoiler adding about a half-inch along the bottom.  Mark didn't initially want to do that because of the added drag--that's why we had come up with the door openings...."

Very nicely detailed photos and additional text included in the book noted above.

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:36:21 AM »
Hello Don,

To answer your specific question:

"Was duct work also used to direct air onto the brakes?"

No, I've only seen holes perforated in the front of the rear inner wheel well opening that allowed air into the area. 

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:25:23 AM »
The front brakes on the 1969 Sunoco/Penske Camaros definitely had duct work.  They were beautifully made aluminum pieces that directed air from the lower front valence to the front brakes.  Please note the pics of such in the Car Life article that David Pozzi has posted on his site:

http://www.pozziracing.com/car_life_article_penske_69.htm

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:21:42 AM »
Very interesting stuff.   Too bad David Bean didn't have someone proof-read his spelling.  He went to work for the Titus-Godsall Pontiac gang for the 70 season I understand.  He is still active in the Lotus restoration/repair business.

As John noted in my "interview" we didn't stand a chance trying to compete against that level of preparation, never mind Donohue's driving ability.

Robert Barg