Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

Chevrolet Experimental Oil Pan, Oil Pump and Pickup

<< < (2/4) > >>

OCTARD:
And the last picture..

OCTARD:
Just in case the text from Mark Schwartz, and the pictures above, don't provide enough of an explanation... The pickup on this oil pump rotates freely, a full 360 degrees.  The intent of the design is to have the pickup located in an area where there will still be oil, even if the vehicle is sloshing the stuff about during acceleration, braking and heavy cornering.  Though this pickup could be useful for many types of driving, it would seem particularly well suited for road racing.

Several other "road race" wet sump style oil pans try to capture the oil in a box with trap doors in an effort to provide the pickup with a more steady pool of oil.  A few pics of a box and trap door arrangement are included below.  The pics show an AVIAID road race pan for a first generation Camaro.

-Chad

Jon Mello:
Chad, that cast oil pan and the trick pump and pickup... all I can say is WOW.  Really cool.  Thanks for posting it and many, many thanks to Mark for letting it be shown here. The extra photos of the Aviaid pan are a great addition too. I have a photo of another experimental pan I'll try and post in the next day or so.

BlackoutSteve:
It looks like the pump bypasses oil back to the pick up via the rubber hose?
I wonder if that was the hiPerf theory of the day..

OCTARD:
To answer the question from BlackoutSteve, I've included a picture and blurb of a similar/same unit noted in How to HOTROD Small-block Chevys (by Bill Fisher & Bob Waar)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page