Author Topic: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car  (Read 169404 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2012, 12:29:48 AM »
It wouldn't seem to take too much to make it track worthy but the brakes are not correct and would need to be changed. For some reason single piston GM calipers were used front and rear, which is wrong. If somebody was truly interested in buying this car and running it in the Historic Trans-Am group, they should contact Tom McIntyre and/or Ken Epsman from that group and seek their counsel in terms of what would need to be corrected or upgraded.
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2013, 06:34:30 AM »
Very surprised to see that it was only bid up to 25K - sign of the economic times? or the limited T/A race history?  Certainly looked very clean and race ready.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2013, 02:58:37 PM »
I think people know the seller is shooting for the moon on what they really want for the car and so they are not bothering to bid. If the car is going to sell, it won't be on ebay.
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2013, 05:22:23 AM »
Here is another 67 camaro on ebay #300852363839 with a 742 HP alloy small block - wow!  Seller says it is a vintage race car.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:16 AM »
Here's a link to the auction. I have no knowledge of the car or the owner. Very doubtful it's a car that raced back in the '60s and '70s but it might be worth looking into further.

Jon Mello
CRG

Pickle

• View Profile
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2013, 04:18:35 AM »
Thanks for pointing it out, John.  That car has run with the other West Coast Historic Trans-Am cars for a number of years now, most recently by Bill Bryan.
Asking price of $329,500 might be tough to achieve in this economy but I guess we'll see what happens.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2013, 05:34:04 AM »
I think we're going to see that car for sale for a long time until they take a fair sized chunk off that price.
Jon Mello
CRG

kdcrmms

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »
Hi Guys, I have just joined and wanted to reach out to the group in an effort of maybe getting some help. I know that this car was posted here before when it was for sale. I have recently purchased the car and it came with quite a bit of documentation. It ran the Riverside Trans Am races in 70 and 71. The car was run by John Ware and John Ware Jr. I am looking for pictures and contact information on anybody who might have had involvement with the car.
We ran the car at Sebring Vintage event a couple of weeks ago and performed quite well.
I am going to take it back to period specs and would love to locate a couple of pictures of it at Riverside. 
Thanks

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 12:33:37 AM »
Congrats on your purchase. Nice to see an old warrior back on the track.  Any chance it will come to the west coast races this year?

Robert Barg

kdcrmms

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 02:52:41 AM »
Thank you Yes I plan on it. Hoping to get invited to Monterey, we have filled out the necessary paperwork and supplied the documentation. We are anticipating the Pre Historics and the Historics.  I also understand that there is an event in June that's possible. As you can tell there is some work that needs to be done prior to running in the HTA group. But what ever it takes. The Car has some neat parts on it and I do not plan on a total restoration.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2013, 05:11:57 AM »
I'm glad you got the car and are excited about making it more period correct so that you can run it with the Historic Trans-Am group, especially since the car was based in California back in that classic late '60s and early '70s era. I look forward to meeting you in person and getting a look at the car at one of the West Coast event. Congratulations on your purchase.
Jon Mello
CRG

kdcrmms

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
Thank you Jon, Me too. I appreciate all the help I have been given by you and the group and look forward to continuing my research. The chain of ownership is clean and I want to keep it as original as possible. Some of the documentation indicates it was one of three cars prepared at Dick Guldstands shop for Ware, Greg Pickett and Guldstrand himself. It still has some of the trick parts the Ware's bought from Penske when he switched to AMC including the negative Camber Jim Hall rear end. Any and all help is welcome. If I could just locate a couple of more pictures. Does anyone know Peter Boyd and if so how he can be reached? I'm sorry I am new to this and am quickly learning the various players.
Thanks Karman

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
Neat car...welcome to the TA group.
Loud Pipes Save Lives