Author Topic: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car  (Read 169641 times)

Wahoo

• View Profile
Re: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »
Lake Underwood Camaro. 

Sold

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2015, 05:01:44 AM »
Did you buy it, Ed? That sure is a neat car.
Jon Mello
CRG

wendell

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2015, 02:31:39 AM »
Yes, that's a real deal '67 Z-28 with Trans-Am race history. It was originally a Deepwater blue car with blue standard interior. and a legit heater delete car as well. The car is a strong runner in SVRA back east but would need money invested in it to be legal to run in the Historic Trans-Am group on the West Coast. A very cool car that I hope finds a good home. I'd love to have it in my own garage.
Haven't seen it out few years but the last time I saw it it was stunning. Super clean, beautiful Deepwater paint, period fenders, engin bay, cabin... Sharp. But not fast. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2015, 04:30:53 AM »
Would love to know who Wes sold it to. I guess I could always give him a call.  :P
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2015, 04:34:53 PM »
last time I saw it it was stunning... Sharp. But not fast. 

What exactly do you mean by "not fast"? What is making it so slow? Thanks for the info.
Nick

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2015, 04:49:05 AM »
Many of the guys are just "excersizing" their cars.  They are not former racers and have a large investment under them and are also of "senior" years.

As an example, at the 2013 Glen SVRA wkd. with the HTA cars, the fastest qualifier did a 2:10'9.  At the 72 Glen T/A race the fastest qualifier
was Warren Tope with a 2:03.7.  The only "factory" driver was George Follmer who was 2nd.

Bear in mind that the guys running HTA cars to-day have the advantage of more HP, better brakes, etc. Add maybe 3 secs. for the bus loop turn
they are still almost 5 secs. slower.  Warren was good but I'm guessing that Parnelli and Mark were probably 1-2 secs. a lap quicker back in the day.

The longer Glen track with the Boot was only used that one time in 72.  Note that turn 1 seems "improved" and is faster now.

Robert Barg

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
Very interesting, and I always suspected what you mentioned about investment being a factor. I'm actually quite surprised that most of these owners are OK with letting their cars be put around the track like that. But I also think that it's wonderful, and that these cars are doing what they were born to do!
As an aside, what happened to the Penske camaro(#16) last year is a good reminder of how much risk those drivers and cars are put under.
Nick

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2015, 01:16:25 AM »
Trans Am, I am with you 100%.  Just to see and hear them running on the track is fantastic.  My hat is off to the present and previous owners who have
invested all that time and money.

Hopefully I can see them again at Portland and Monterey this year.

Robert

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2015, 02:18:51 AM »
Given the scarcity of real Trans Am cars remaining I can't imagine too many accidents which would lead to any of these cars not being repaired. It may not make sense to pay someone to fix a really badly damaged car however a skilled fabricator with time and desire can rebuild near any race car.

What are the annual costs to campaign a big bore car competitively in Vintage if you ran Laguna Seca as well as 4 other bigger Vintage events east and west coast?  Not factoring blown up engines or wrecked cars.
10k per race lodging and travel all included?

If you have an accident and put the car on a frame machine, one side front suspension and complete front sheet metal, radiator, what is the repair bill?  10k

I would think that getting the car repaired in a timely fashion or even securing a spot at a repair facility would be more of a concern than a 10-20k repair bill.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2015, 02:29:04 AM »
Found this ex Jim Hall  1970  Camaro for sale by the Canepa Collection  http://www.canepacollection.com/detail-1970-chevrolet-camaro-trans~am-used-10720340.html.

I remember seeing Vic Elford race this car to victory in 1970 Watkins Glen Trans Am and ever since that day I have been a big Vic Eford fan ........... No price mentioned but one would probably need to be a member of Jay Lenos more money than brains club.

Vic Elford interviw on Cars Yeah   http://carsyeah.com/ourportfolio/vic-elford/

AL

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2015, 03:12:18 AM »
That's a car that Jim Hall wishes he hadn't sold since he's hung on to most everything else. Too expensive at this point for him to ever want to pull the trigger on getting it back.
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2015, 03:23:31 AM »
Without digging thru some records, what happened to the other cars?  Mo Carter had one but later crashed it in testing at Mosport and was parted out?  The other one was purchased
by MarK Waco? Body in white went to Warren Agor?  The Elford car was owned and vintage raced by David Tom at one time?

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2015, 03:55:36 AM »
If I remember correctly, this is the car that Mark Waco bought from Jim Hall. Mo Carter must have bought the Ed Leslie car and Marshall Robbins bought the unfinished backup, which was later sold to Warren Agor for 1972.
Jon Mello
CRG

wendell

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2015, 09:34:31 PM »
Jon,
Do you know which one was at the '74 nationals as an A/S?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »
Wendell, there's some info on the former Jim Hall cars here...

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=10397.msg78580#msg78580
Jon Mello
CRG

anything