Author Topic: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car  (Read 169434 times)

wendell

• View Profile
Re: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
I just posted to the wrong thread. Thanks for the info.  Cool car.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
Well this is vague, but is anyone familiar with this car? Obviously not a Trans-Am car, but said to be Traco built, FIA approved. Here is the auction guff that went with it:

Founded by Jim Travers and Frank Coon, Traco Engineering (an amalgam of the partners’s last names) built the engines that dominated a variety of racing series (including Can-Am and Trans Am) throughout the 1960s and into the 1970s. A 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 race car, said to have been prepared by Traco and fitted with a Traco-built 327-cu.in. V-8, crossed the stage in Fort Lauderdale last weekend, selling for the bargain-basement price of $55,000 including buyer’s fees.

The 1969 Camaro offered was claimed to be one of two prepared by Traco Engineering to International Federation of Automobile (FIA) specifications, though it isn’t clear if the car was raced either domestically or abroad. The Traco-modified 327-cu.in. V-8 is said to be original, and has reportedly been dyno tested to produce 500 horsepower. Though the car wears SCCA stickers, it’s unclear if a current vehicle logbook is included, or if it meets the safety requirements of vintage racing organizations in its current form.

Last offered for sale at Mecum’s May 2014 Indianapolis, Indiana, auction, the car then bid to a high price of $105,000 but failed to meet its reserve. Offered in Fort Lauderdale with no reserve, the car sold for a fee-inclusive price of $55,000, which is considerably less than it would cost to build a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Trans-Am clone to this standard, Traco engine aside.  Even without a documented history of racing wins, this could well have been the auction’s biggest bargain.

More info here: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/04/02/traco-built-fia-approved-1969-chevy-camaro-z28-race-car-sells-for-55000-in-florida/?refer=news

rmbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2015, 10:33:30 PM »
Unfortunately, it was likely the overzealous references to Traco Engineering that resulted in the cars no-sale in the first auction, and its depressed sale price in the second. The sales piece of this was written by someone whose primary interest was not based on a genuine historical representation of the car/engine.

Looking at the engine photos in the Hemming’s, it is an LS based platform 327 CID (not a Gen I SBC) with what appears to be a Borla, cross ram EFI system. This powertrain may have been developed during the Jim Jones or Larry Salisbury stewardship of the Traco name, however it is without doubt a stretch to infer there is any relationship to the original Traco Engineering.

Don’t get me wrong, the car certainly has potential to be a fun resto-mod driver or track day car. There is nothing wrong with building a tribute car, just represent it as such. The number 6 on the door and original Traco decals make it look more like an Elvis impersonator then a car with genuine historical significance.

Well this is vague, but is anyone familiar with this car? Obviously not a Trans-Am car, but said to be Traco built, FIA approved. Here is the auction guff that went with it:

Founded by Jim Travers and Frank Coon, Traco Engineering (an amalgam of the partners’s last names) built the engines that dominated a variety of racing series (including Can-Am and Trans Am) throughout the 1960s and into the 1970s. A 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 race car, said to have been prepared by Traco and fitted with a Traco-built 327-cu.in. V-8,
More info here: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/04/02/traco-built-fia-approved-1969-chevy-camaro-z28-race-car-sells-for-55000-in-florida/?refer=news

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »
Unfortunately, it was likely the overzealous references to Traco Engineering that resulted in the cars no-sale in the first auction, and its depressed sale price in the second. The sales piece of this was written by someone whose primary interest was not based on a genuine historical representation of the car/engine.

Looking at the engine photos in the Hemming’s, it is an LS based platform 327 CID (not a Gen I SBC) with what appears to be a Borla, cross ram EFI system. This powertrain may have been developed during the Jim Jones or Larry Salisbury stewardship of the Traco name, however it is without doubt a stretch to infer there is any relationship to the original Traco Engineering.

Don’t get me wrong, the car certainly has potential to be a fun resto-mod driver or track day car. There is nothing wrong with building a tribute car, just represent it as such. The number 6 on the door and original Traco decals make it look more like an Elvis impersonator then a car with genuine historical significance.

Founded by Jim Travers and Frank Coon, Traco Engineering (an amalgam of the partners’s last names) built the engines that dominated a variety of racing series (including Can-Am and Trans Am) throughout the 1960s and into the 1970s. A 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 race car, said to have been prepared by Traco and fitted with a Traco-built 327-cu.in. V-8,

Yep, thats about how I saw it too.

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2015, 11:52:28 PM »
It's like taking a great tasting cake and ruining it with mud flavoring.

Why would you take a car that looks and probably drives amazing and ruin it with some tongue-in-cheek "faux" pedigree? That car doesn't need to pretend anything to be awesome.

NOTE: Engine looks trick, but they could have done without the suede/Alcantara dashboard and door panels.  :(
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2017, 03:31:13 AM »
Thanks, Brian. That's definitely run with the West Coast HTA Group for a fair number of years.

Buy-It-Now for $295,000

Subject VIN: 124870N533646
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:45 PM »
That Clemens Camaro is one good looking car !

A bit off topic here, and I hope I have this straight ? But somewhere on this forum ( I think it was to do with Chaparral Camaros)
It was mentioned that GM provided stampings for the front and rear flares, that had to be riveted on.
This pic I found, might have been here, says this is the build of the Clemens car ? are those the flares ?

Mike

(uncredited photo)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2017, 03:45:00 AM »
I don't know the answer to that about the flares but it seems reasonable.
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
Allen Hewitt 67 camaro T/A car
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2018, 05:05:28 AM »
This car is now listed for sale on bringatrailer.

It is not in period correct T/A trim.

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Allen Hewitt 67 camaro T/A car?
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2018, 02:40:16 AM »
No documentation as being a real Z-28 but may have real Trans-Am history.

Was in the well known multi-car crash at Road America in 2005.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-chevrolet-camaro-26/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:51:51 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

redvetracr

• View Profile
Re: Allen Hewitt 67 camaro T/A car
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
sold today for $120K

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 Vintage Race Car A super nice, front running for historic racing. Compete with SVRA, HSR or other vintage organizations all over the USA. 575HP, T101 trans, J-56 brakes, power steering, easy to drive fast. One of the best vintage Camaro race cars available!

http://www.classiccardeals.com/Listing/200470/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28.aspx

Not mine nor do I have an interest in the car...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 04, 2021, 06:20:37 PM »
The first '67 Penske Trans-Am Camaro is coming up for auction during the Monterey Historic race weekend.  For those with deep pockets, here's your chance to own a very cool piece of history.  I went to Austria with Pat Ryan several years back when he located the car and helped verify that it was the real deal prior to purchase. 

https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1967-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-trans-am/?filtersInput%5BauctionType%5D%5B0%5D=Live%20Auction&filtersInput%5BauctionYear%5D%5B0%5D=2021&filtersInput%5BliveAuctionVenue%5D%5B0%5D=Pebble%20Beach&sortBy=ENDING_SOONEST&pageNumber=1
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 04, 2021, 06:52:45 PM »
What a great car and history!