Author Topic: Original panels? Sail panel seam paint crazing  (Read 5349 times)

RC

• View Profile
Original panels? Sail panel seam paint crazing
« on: May 29, 2006, 02:32:51 PM »
Looking at another ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Camaro-RS-SS-ORIGINAL-1-owner-Documented_W0QQitemZ4643963751QQcategoryZ6161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The description says the car has all original sheetmetal.  In the pics you can see that the paint in checked or crazed at the area of the sail panel/roof seam.  This makes me wonder about replacement panel work.

The spatter paint that is NOT in the trunk also makes me wonder, but I don't know what a 40 year old trunk typically looks like.  The spatter is clear on the piece that covers the fuel filler/trunk lock assms.  Again, I wonder about panel replacement.

Is there history to say paint crazing at the sail panel is a frequent problem, even on original panels.  I know my second gen camaro had cracking issues there.

Thanks for any and all comments.

RC

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Original panels? Sail panel seam paint crazing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 03:59:15 PM »
My all-original 69Z also shows some very light crazing and some show-through of tiny pits under the paint at the roof-to-quarter solder joint on the driver's side; this is quite common on original-paint cars. If you had seen the production process (open solder pots, applying it with hickory paddles and a torch, then grinding and pit-filling, all with the body moving at 70 per hour), you'd be amazed that solder joints lasted as long as they did in a joint that long.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sebastien

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:56:11 PM »
John,with paint removed what color would be those solder joints ?gold(ish)?
Sebastien 68  327 rag top

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »
The natural color of freshly-ground solder is like yellowish aluminum, although the assembly plant hot phosphate treatment prior to prime in the paint shop may affect its color.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sebastien

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 11:24:27 PM »
once again thanks for those precious info John Z
Sebastien 68  327 rag top

anything