Author Topic: Silver Camaro Concept Car - Atlanta 2006 Auto Show  (Read 20519 times)

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Camaro Concept Car - Atlanta 2006 Auto Show
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 09:24:51 PM »
From today's auto news:

GM Looks to Sell 100,000 New Chevrolet Camaros 
The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

General Motors can sell more than 100,000 units of a new Chevrolet Camaro based on a concept unveiled at the Detroit auto show, Automotive News reported.

In an interview with the trade publication, GM's Product chief, Robert Lutz, said the company is doing "intense work" on engineering for a production version and analyzing a business case for the car. But, Lutz added, "Is it an approved program? No." He said he expected a decision on building the sporty coupe within six months.

However, Lutz said GM wouldn't consider building the car unless it could sell more than 100,000 a year. The Camaro's prime competitor would be the Ford Mustang, which sold 160,975 units in the United States last year, the story said.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:26:43 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 09:05:46 PM »
I found this today at the following linK:  http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=Future_Product_Guide
Looks like a GM supported website of "insider news".

For Model Yerar2009, Chevrolet:-

Chevrolet Camaro:

Rumors state that the Camaro is on for model-year 2009. :D Expect the design of the car to follow what that of the Camaro Concept car in coupe and convertible form. Power is said to come from the 3.6L V6 and an optional 6.0L LS2 V8. GM’s Oshawa, Ontario, Canada plant is likely where this Camaro will call home.

Addtional info. at this link as well: http://www.5thgen.org/ which was referenced in a previous post.

IMHO Chevy better hurry - rumors on CNN. today suggest that the new Mustang 500hp Cobra due out this summer already has at least a $20,000 over sticker bidding price and they may end up going out even higher due to the fact that there are a couple available to each selected dealer - There may not be many big dollar takers left by 2009 for the (new small c) camaro - that and the high pref retro market may start to dry up in 3 - 4 years anyway due to changes in emission standards, crash requirements, and gas guzzler taxes etc.
  If you recall the real high performance times in the sixties only really lasted from late '65's thru to late '70's so by announcing it's availablility until 2009 this whole mess might just blow up in GM's face again as the market could have basically started to dry up - just in time for the new camaro's launch. Considering many of GM's other marketing fiascos over the years - it's really not that much of a stretch to imagine it occurring that way - hope not but....
  If the camaro did only show up with the LS2 in the hottest model and people had to pay over sticker to get one, it would probably only serve to make the Corvette more attractive to buyers in the long run - Randy

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 12:26:45 AM »
You may be tragically right about GM getting in too late.  It took them three full production years to get into the pony car market, and by '73 the emission standards really slowed down the muscle car market.  BY 2010 we may all be paying $10 a gallon for gas or driving hydrogen cars.  I never thought about the Vette being a better buy.  But you've got a real idea there.  We may also be fighting very hard in every state to exempt classic cars from gas guzzler taxes, etc. by then!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »
If anyone cares, there is a lot of good info regarding the new Mustang retro Shelby/Cobra in the newest Hot Rod magazine out for July 2006 (how can they get so far ahead date-wise???) regarding the performance details, driving impressions, and costs of it. Anyway, it seems like the LS2 that Chev may stuff into the new (c)amaro might not be initially enough to ward off the close to 500 hp that the new Cobra will be packing - oh well back to the drawing board...
Anyway - aside from the Shelby article itself - I don't normally read the rants from the editors in their mags since they generally don't really say much, but in this edition David Frieburger (sp??) talks about the timing of the (c)amaro into the retro fray and the new Mustang and other models that may materialize eventually - but the best part of his ditty is where he states essentailly what  he believes all manunfacturers should be doing and when, to get any interest and sales in this newest faze of hot performance market cars, and I for one fully agree with him - see if any of you agree with it as well - the feedback would be interesting...Much of it sounds exactly like what Ford is actually doing at the present time.
It is also interesting to note that Ford not only will make available to the Shelby (and lower retro models of the Mustang) 'over the counter' optional performance packages to suit the new owner in his wish to either make his car a lot better handling or faster straight line etc. just by going down to the dealer and plunking down the $$'s and taking the boxes of parts home and wrenching for a weekend himself. Sort of the grassroots approach that made the Mustang appealling in the late eighties and early ninties and helped it kick the hell out the past decade or two of Camaros and their sales
 I do think Ford has a better idea - and is showing it again... No I'm not a Ford fan in the least - but have to give credit where credit is due...
I don't really think GM has a hope in hell of capturing much of any of this not only by the timing of their proposed new (c)amaro model but in the way they will approach the whole thing when and if they do get one out - considering the past... Its too bad!!! 
There is also a great artist's impression of what a frontal view of a new Firebird retro model would look like with using the new (c)amaro body styling and I have to admit to me it looks absolutely perfect in a retro-sense. Unfortunately the new (c)amaro rendition just doesn't look as right or as instantly recognizable to me   - Randy

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »
I agree, the front end of the Camaro Concept Car is its weak link - GM Pay Attention!

Look at how good the new Shelby GT500 looks!  (Atlanta Auto Show - 2 May 06)
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 04:58:07 PM »
I'm glad the Camaro is coming back but I just don't like the looks of this one. :(
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 12:50:53 AM »
I gotta agree that the New Shelby looks great!   The Camaro is just to futuristic.  Especially the front end.  If they do make the Camaro in '09, what are they gonna do for updates to the styling?   It already looks like something out of Star Wars now.   The new Challenger is also a drop dead car.  I've been and out of Camaros and Chevelles for 35 years but would opt for either of those and not the new Camaro.  If GM doesn't give it a more retro look, it'll end up like the new GTO..... in obscurity.      J.R.

Robert 375 BB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 02:26:14 PM »
I truly agree. I would rather have a buldozer than ( is that a Camaro ?) :P :-[

anything