Author Topic: General talk about Trans-Am cars, parts, whatever...  (Read 64721 times)

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: General talk about Trans-Am cars, parts, whatever...
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
There's a cowl plenum air cleaner and duct for sale on ebay, auction #290841529368 for those that are interested and/or are in need of one.

The listing was ended by the seller on 1-10-13 because the item is no longer available.

Paul

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »
I'm sure someone made him an offer that he couldn't refuse.

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
I recently found out some interesting information on some reproduction ‘TA’ parts for AMC’s.
Edelbrock will be making a short run of new STR-11 cross-rams and the new owners of Crane Cams has is going to be reproducing some ‘new’ SS AMX Crane prepared cylinder heads.

I Think this is great for the hobby, it makes these rare parts available at a cost the average person can deal with, and have availability to a wider audience. Also, these parts  can be used without fear of breaking something rare that can’t be replaced.

Are these, or any other manufacturer making reproduction versions of rare parts that would have made there way onto the original TA cars? The ‘New’ Ford Boss 302 blocks come to mind.
Anything else out there?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 12:45:24 AM »
That's pretty neat that some of the AMC stuff is getting reproduced as I have to assume some of that is getting really hard to find these days.

As for other things being reproduced that might be Chevy Trans-Am related, all I can think of is the reproduction GM cross rams. Holley did
make some reproduction carburetors with original LIST numbers on them (including the cross ram carbs) but I haven't looked to see if they're
still doing that or not. There might be one or two other things but, as of now, that's all that comes to mind.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:35:28 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 04:24:09 AM »
Jon,

Do you think the Bill Thomas repro headers fall into this category?

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2013, 05:25:58 AM »
The AMC parts being re introduced are a welcomed surprise. It is a good sign that there is a continual interest in our cars.  Jon, you are correct about the difficulty in finding some of the obscure parts of the day. With some of these re introduced parts coming to market, we might see a few more cars out being used, and not just shown.
     I wouldn't expect to see too many Cross Rams being sold to AMC owners, at least not to the extent they are sold to the Z/28 owners, but those that do commit, will definitely have a unique and fun addition.  Maybe mike343sharpstick  should consider adding his Trans-am hood to the mix!
      Thanks Mike for the good news. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2013, 05:44:41 AM »
Jon,

Do you think the Bill Thomas repro headers fall into this category?

Fred, I forgot about those but yes, I would say those fall into the same category. I think there are some J56 brake items that are reproduced also, such as the front caliper brackets.

Oh yeah, I guess we shouldn't forget about the reproduction cowl plenum air cleaners either.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
Anybody know anything about these aluminum exhaust manifolds on ebay?
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2013, 04:39:50 AM »
It was pointed out to me that somebody is selling some old Hurst Airheart brake calipers on ebay.

They are made of aluminum and are a 4-piston design, with each piston being 2" in diameter. The part #'s are 02-12577C & 02-12576.  According to the seller, they supposedly fit under 15" wheels and have a 6" bolt pattern, center to center. These calipers would not be legal to run in the West Coast-based Historic Trans-Am group since the rules say the Camaros and Firebirds need to run the GM calipers. Back in the day though, these aftermarket calipers were legal on Trans-Am cars beginning in the 1970 season.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2013, 05:00:45 AM »
Interesting that back in '68, the Japanese car manufacturers were buying up Chevrolet engines in an attempt
to build a car with competitive power to run in Can-Am/Group 7 competition. Notice that the engine is an all-
aluminum 350. Check out the splayed bolt pattern on the two end exhaust ports. I know of at least one set of
these heads that are still floating around.

Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »
sad to report that troy rogers chaparral mechanic and fabricator who also worked on the chaparral trans-am camaros, passed away may 7th of cancer. condolences to the family and members of the race team.

mike in canada

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2013, 04:14:10 AM »
Mike, it's sad to see another person from the great Trans-Am race series pass on.

Below are photos provided to me by Rex Turner. He owned this all aluminum small block with a very rare set of "Grand Sport only" heads featuring the splayed bolt pattern on the end exhaust ports (as seen in the article two posts above). These heads were meant to be used with special 8-bolt valve covers. Rex's engine (recently sold) was built by Keith Black's shop and was featured in the October 1979 issue of Hot Rod magazine. Thanks to Rex for sharing these pictures of his with us.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 05:01:22 AM »
I don't remember Penske selling gauges through Sears but here is an auction for some...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PENSKE-RACE-GAUGE-KIT-CLASSIC-WOOD-GRAIN-BLACK-HD-GAUGE-PANAL-SET-/310696069237

Jon Mello
CRG

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2013, 02:31:49 AM »
Well I'll tel you most of what I know.  The 71' Championship car (Donohue-Collins-Jocko) has been restored to Donohue era and was supposedly sold at Russo last year but I'm not sure of the sale.  That  car is no longer listed on the Historic Trans Am website roster.  We've seen it run, just look though the old event photos.  Both of the Roy Woods Cars still exist, Epsman and Sorenson owned, listed on the same website and still raced.  Those 2 cars were originally the Penske 1970 Javelins with updated sheet metal.  There was a third 70' Javelin (Donohue called it the s**tbox / mulecar) and it was donated by Donohue to the University of Pittsburgh at the end of the 70' season.  I believe this is the car Brooke Mosgrove restored and is now owned by Bruce Canepa.  David Feece owned a 68' Javelin and I believe that car now resides in Canada?  There is a 68' Javelin in Texas...I don't know which one, and then there is the Javelin owned by Craig Jackson that has a 1970 front end on a 69' car...I don't know what that's all about.  Buzz Dyer still has his 1970 Javelin, a beautiful restoration I might add, but the Historic Trans Am group wants him to repaint it to a different scheme than when HE raced it so you'll only see him at different vintage events because he won't. I haven't seen Ted Robert's Fyr Fyter Javelin (a RK 68) in some time.  I'd say most of them still exist but a bunch of them were re-skinned and updated.
Camicia
bob fryer who ran a funeral home near Pittsburgh raced the university of pittsburgh javelin back in the  day. bob used to race corvettes
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2013, 02:58:45 AM »
Hello motorman,

I remember Fryer driving the U of P 69 camaro. Not sure where that car came from but Jon will know.  We started on the same 11th row of the 71 Mid-Ohio T/A.

BTW, I'm also "older than dirt" - 75 recently May 26.

Robert Barg

anything