Author Topic: General talk about Trans-Am cars, parts, whatever...  (Read 64231 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: General talk about Trans-Am cars, parts, whatever...
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
In July 1969, Penske and Sears signed an agreement where Sears got to use Penske's name for
certain automotive parts sold through its retail stores. These were mostly things like timing lights,
dwell meters and associated items related to tune-ups. One unusual thing that also got Penske's
name on it was a floor shifter. The Penske shift handle and box seen below are from the collection
of Robert Lodewyk and they are a seldom seen item. The shift lever was on the shifter body of a
Hurst Competition Plus when Robert bought it but he is not certain if the Hurst unit is what Sears
was truly selling. Anybody know for sure?

Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 03:20:59 AM »
A couple things I bought at Sears back in the day; well used. The gauges are Penske vacuum and compression.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
Good stuff! Thanks for posting, Fred.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »
September '69 National Speed Sport News article on a Bruce Crower stock block Chevy for Indy Car racing. Anybody got other photos or information on this engine?

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 06:39:24 AM »
Another shot of the Crower Chevy USAC/Indy engine as found on the Crower Cams website.
Jon Mello
CRG

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
I’m new here, Just an AMC nerd from Wisconsin. This TA site is literally my favorite site on the web so I joined mostly to say thank you all for posting what is the best TransAm racing information on the entire inter-web.

I know a few of you from other sites web sites like crazyamc, and Klvn8r.

I am fortunate enough to own a 69 Javelin TA hood made from the original molds, That’s about the only rarity I own, for now:)

The rest of my Javelin is mostly just a nice street car with suspension changes that were done to the TA cars at the time like a Panhard bar, higher rate springs, boxed control arms, brake upgrades and things like that. It works amazingly well.

Cheers
 Mike

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 03:08:09 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for signing up here and for the compliments about the Trans-Am forum. It is nice to get feedback and know that people are reading and enjoying this stuff. You've got a nice looking car there and I always liked that dark green color. It's interesting to know that somebody still has the old molds for those Javelin T/A hoods. They supposedly made 1000 of them back in the day but where did they all go???
Jon Mello
CRG

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 03:59:01 AM »
Thank you, it’s a fun car to own and drive.
It’s a very obscure piece and I am lucky to have it. I find it interesting that when I go to shows, even AMC shows, nobody has any idea what it is. The knowledgeable TA racing crowd is a small group.

Lots of rumors and hearsay floating around about these things. From what I know, nowhere near that number were made. It’s actually fun to hear all the theories. I think if 1,000 were made, they would turn up from time to time, they never do.
There was also a bolt on version created.
It can be seen on pictures of the Trippin' the Lights/Sherrif of Nottingham SuperStock AMX.

Now if someone will sell me an appropriate Traco intake to go under it... :)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
With that hood, sounds like you need one of the AMC tunnel rams instead.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »
Yup, that's the one......and they don't exactly grow on trees!!!  (I know of 3.... well, 1 of those might be the same as another, but with paint.)

klvn8r

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
Not sure where this belongs, and maybe it has been discussed before, but I would like to know if the factory cars (and some independants) used one engine for qualifying, and then changed to a race engine set-up for the race?

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »
Robert, it may have happened but I don't think it was very common unless you are talking about the '68 tunnel port Ford engines. But those got changed usually because they blew them up and not because they were a qualifier "ringer" engine. In Dave Friedman's book it says they went through as many as 6 engines a weekend (for two cars) when they were running the tunnel ports.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »
There's a cowl plenum air cleaner and duct for sale on ebay by seller "prostreetking1", auction #290841529368 for those that are interested and/or are in need of one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:14:13 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Can't remember if we had that set-up, but I don't think so.  Certainly remember seeing it back in the day.  How did they neasure any performance gains - not on an engine dyno but lap times?

Robert Barg

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:55 AM »
Looks like the seal has been replaced.

anything