Author Topic: General talk about Trans-Am cars, parts, whatever...  (Read 64227 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
General talk about Trans-Am cars, parts, whatever...
« on: May 06, 2011, 06:12:34 PM »
I saw this unusual part on ebay, item # 280667970525, and wondered if Mike (Cuda48) or anybody else had further information about it.
Here's the description...

For auction is a brand new, never used plate with the part numbers of Edelbrock STR-15TQ and also CHRY-369-0652.   According to a tech at Edelbrock whom I e-mailed for information, this is a cross ram intake for 383 low deck Chryslers,  originally designed for trans-am racing.      Please do your homework before bidding if you are not familiar with this item,  because I don't know much about this type of thing....and can only give the above information I've listed.   Please see the pictures for reference-- the entire part is approximately sized 18 x 13 x 1 --   and weighs 6 lbs 6.8 oz.

Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
Re: General talk about Trans-Am cars, parts, whatever...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:23:16 AM »
Here are three pictures of a super rare 1969 Pontiac short-deck 303 crossram intake manifold that sold for $5000, on eBay, back in 2003. 

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »
And three more pictures of the previously noted 1969 Pontiac short-deck 303 crossram intake manifold that sold for $5000, on eBay, back in 2003. 

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »
Here are two pictures of another Pontiac short-deck 303 crossram intake manifold that sold for $5600, on eBay, back in 2008.

" border="0

" border="0

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
More cool 303 Pontiac pictures and details from June, 1969, Motor Trend Article entitled "The Great Breakaway Conspiracy."

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »
Those are great pics of the Pontiac cross ram intake. The top plate looks to be very similar to the Chevrolet item, I don't have one hand to compare them closely, does it look that way to anyone else ?

The other thing I notice is that the Pontiac cross ram intake ports are for the non Tunnel Port heads. No doubt they tried all the heads and manifold combinations , and it may well be that the smaller intake runners on the regular heads worked better than with the Tunnel Ports items.
Al Bartz has a fabricated intake on the engine he is looking over.

I have spoken to Dave Billes at Performance Engineering but he can't recall many specifics of the twin Dominator engines. Just another race engine.

Bruce.

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »
Hello Bruce,

Indeed the Camaro/Chevrolet production crossram top-plate is very similar to the "production" Pontiac unit (not the one-off Al Bartz item also pictured above).  One of the most notable differences would appear to be the radiusing along the edge of the top plate.  A pic of both top plate edge radiuses included to illustrate the difference between the two.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 05:09:52 AM »
Chad, those are terrific photos of the Pontiac cross ram. The comparison with the Camaro piece is great as well. I sure do appreciate you posting them and I'm sure others do as well.
Jon Mello
CRG

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:06:24 AM »
Chad, COOL information. I never knew that Pontiac had such an item.

THANK YOU
Robert Lodewyk

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »
After seeing the Traco manifold on the AMC engine in the Roy Woods Racing Team thread, Robert Byng sent me some
cool information on the Traco manifold that he owns and the old B/Production AMX that he returned to its road racer roots.

Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:58:33 AM »
In AMC circles, the owner of the car pictured above is "Hillbilly Bob", if I recall.   That's a great story on the intake, but I have never seen one on a Trans Am car, except for the single four in that RWR picture.  There are several pictures of the 68 TA Javelins with the Edelbrock crossram, and a few instances where the tunnel ram is peaking out from under the 'domed' hood of 1969.  That intake was an I.R. intake with dual Holley dominators, same as the Fords were using.  Its easily seen with the pause button on youtube.com Trans AM 1968 at 2:05  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr6U4_2PgPE&feature=related.  John Martin (in helmet) can be seen tuning on it.

klvn8r
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:27:14 AM by klvn8r »

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »
Here's quick discussion on the AMC tunnel ram and at the bottom of page 1 is some more links to a Boss forum where AMC is the subject as well...

http://theamcforum.com/forum/can-you-id-this-manifold_topic25299.html

klvn8r

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
Click on the link below to examine a fascinating and detail-laden thread concerning what JRT/RKE ran during the '69 season.  Some freeze frames of the video mentioned above by Kelvinator, hence unexpected utility too. 

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=46746.0

Mike K.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:10:27 PM by Swede70 »

kiwiboss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
[Moved over here from the "Roy Woods Racing, California Trans-Am racers" thread]

Very cool pictures John, you mention "Bill Collins" who was he? did he own the 71 Javelin after Donahue finished racing it? also are all the TA Javelins that race, factory or independent accounted for?

Dale Mathers(NZL)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:16:08 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roy Woods Racing, California Trans-Am racers
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »
I don't know a whole lot about Bill Collins. It appears he only owned the car (yes, he bought the car that Donohue drove to the '71 T/A championship) for one year and then sold it to Jocko Maggiacomo. I don't think Bill raced in Trans-Am before or after 1972. As far as which Javelins still remain out of the original cars campaigned in Trans-Am, I have not followed those cars as thoroughly as I have the Camaros. Maybe one of the Javelin guys who look in here occasionally can fill us in on the details.
Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:39:33 PM »
Well I'll tel you most of what I know.  The 71' Championship car (Donohue-Collins-Jocko) has been restored to Donohue era and was supposedly sold at Russo last year but I'm not sure of the sale.  That  car is no longer listed on the Historic Trans Am website roster.  We've seen it run, just look though the old event photos.  Both of the Roy Woods Cars still exist, Epsman and Sorenson owned, listed on the same website and still raced.  Those 2 cars were originally the Penske 1970 Javelins with updated sheet metal.  There was a third 70' Javelin (Donohue called it the s**tbox / mulecar) and it was donated by Donohue to the University of Pittsburgh at the end of the 70' season.  I believe this is the car Brooke Mosgrove restored and is now owned by Bruce Canepa.  David Feece owned a 68' Javelin and I believe that car now resides in Canada?  There is a 68' Javelin in Texas...I don't know which one, and then there is the Javelin owned by Craig Jackson that has a 1970 front end on a 69' car...I don't know what that's all about.  Buzz Dyer still has his 1970 Javelin, a beautiful restoration I might add, but the Historic Trans Am group wants him to repaint it to a different scheme than when HE raced it so you'll only see him at different vintage events because he won't. I haven't seen Ted Robert's Fyr Fyter Javelin (a RK 68) in some time.  I'd say most of them still exist but a bunch of them were re-skinned and updated.
Camicia

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 01:14:02 AM »
Good eye, Cuda.....with a small correction.  The 68 Revson car, is, I believe, in Canada now.  It sold at Russo and Steele a year or so back.  The 68 Follmer RKE team car is indeed in the Dallas TX area.  I have easy access to that one.  Dead on about the 69 Craig Jackson car.....can't figure that one out.  Why isn't it RIGHT???  Buzz still has his car, that he bought in 71; it IS the Fyr-Fyter car from 1970.  Ted Roberts was driving the 68 Follmer car, in 69, as #55, and got the "new" car for 1970.

klvn8r

kiwiboss

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 07:04:07 AM »
You guys are onto it, unbelievably by chance i spoke with Buzz Dyer at the Somona Historics last year, didn't realize he had owned his Javelin for so long, good on him!! said they won't let him race it in HTA because its dry sump, didn't mention anything about paint? offcourse hes good mates with Ron Grable that raced Bruce302's Pontiac in New Zealand back in the 70's!!

Dale Mathers(NZL)

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Hi Dale,
But  Canepa's 70' Penske Javelin has a dry sump.  Hmmm...  I thought you could run the correct equipment through 72' to be included in the Historic Trans Am Group?
The Wood's Javs are both dry sump. Donohue's 71 too.

klvn8r thanks for the clear up info.  I'm mostly the Mopar expert but I have soaked up most things Trans Am !

Camicia
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:02:38 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
The Historic Trans-Am group does not generally allow dry sumps but there are exceptions for the AMC engines and possibly the Pontiacs (not sure on that one). My understanding is that's because the AMC parts are much harder to find and the wet sump system does not adequately do the job (aka, the engines will not live with all the braking and cornering forces going on without a dry sump). I don't think Buzz's car is not being allowed to run due to it having a dry sump because other AMC cars in that group have it. The issues are between the heads of the group and Buzz himself so lets not take this conversation into the politics behind the scenes. I don't want to see Buzz or HTA bashed here. I don't know that that's going to happen but I'm just saying let's not go there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:21:56 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »
Hello,  I've been REALLY enjoying all the stories and pics without joining until now.   This is my favorite site!!  I joined today because for some reason I couldn't see the pics of my own car that KLVN8R posted for me.....         Since this is " General T/A discussion"  I'd like to throw out this fact to ponder concerning AMC longevity..  in '68, when the rules were much tighter concerning 'aftermarket parts',  Ronnie Kaplan's Javelins' finished EVERY race, including a debut at the 12 hours of Sebring, the first year anybody raced an AMC..   Sure horsepower and cornering g's weren't as strong as later, but they were more than competitive, with wetsumps...  Dry sumps became legal for all in '71, but my opinion would be they're not "required" ..     My next vintage car will be a wetsump 'sharpstick'  ::)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »
Welcome. You bring up a good point about the Javelin engines surviving just fine with wet sumps earlier but then again the '70 Penske team had a lot of oil problems before they went to dry sumps in '71. All in the name of "safety" according to Roger.
Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 06:11:05 PM »
Crazyamc...I agree that in the early years of Trans Am the wet sumps seemed to work just fine.  What led to the problems in 1970 was tire technology had improved to the point that the cars had some grip rather than sliding around (just look at the photos of the earlier years) and everyone tried to lower the engines in the chassis for a lower center of gravity.  That meant oil pans that were not as deep as before and little room to go wider in the chassis.  Even Mark Donohue admitted in his book that if they had simply raised the engines back up (as Penske had suggested) they would have probably been more successful but Donohue just couldn't realize the benefit at the expense of raising the center of gravity.  The Pontiacs simply had a crankshaft that was too large in diameter and the crankshaft speed/surface area killed them.  Dry sumps fixed all that.

Camicia

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
If you guys get the chance, check out the new issue of Musclecar Review magazine. I believe it is the June 2012 issue. Tim Lopata, Warren Dernoshek and I helped out Drew Hardin on an article which covers the '67 Yenko Stormer Z-28 road racers. It's a good read and has some neat photos as well.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 03:56:10 AM »
Jon, great article and information. That's the first I've seen on the Stormer's, and I wondered how many there were and if any survived. I've seen pictures of the Penske car with the SS hood before, do you know why they used it (maybe the same reason as Boye's car)? You'd think they too would have removed the grilles to save weight.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback on the article, Fred.

No, I don't really know why the Sunoco cars used the SS hoods early in the '68 season. I assumed it might have been for air cleaner clearance but they went to a flat hood after a couple of races and used the same or similar air cleaners at that time.
Jon Mello
CRG

wolfmin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
I don't know many of the Javelin facts, but in 2005 I was visiting a friend in Arizona that owns Keefe Performance.  At that time he had Craig Jackson's unusual Javelin at his shop, preparing it for a test at Firebird.  He told me that car was originally one of the Kaplan cars that had become a Penske mule and was never raced by Penske.  Not sure at what point the body was partially changed, either by Penske or perhaps whoever began a restoration.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »
Unfortunately, the car wasn't at the Sonoma Historics last weekend. I had hoped to get a better look at it. I think I remember that there are some things that may be stamped number 3 on the car and, as such, it might be the #3 car raced by Ron Grable for the Javelin team during the '69 season. I don't know that as any kind of fact, it just seems to make sense based on my limited knowledge of the AMC cars. Anybody else have any thoughts?
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:02 AM »
Question for the Javelin guys. Two different ads for Javelins from Ted Roberts. Are these two different cars or the same car described first as a '68 and later as a '69. Is the one in the second ad, the car that Buzz Dyer owns?
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »
I just bought this oil pan at a recent swap meet. I'm not sure if it is a circle track pan or a road race pan. I also don't recognize the
manufacturer's logo of an M with an arrow through it. The pan is 7.5" deep from the pan rail to the bottom of the sump. The kick-
outs on both sides extend out 3" from the side of the pan. The sump bottom measures 9.75" from front to back and 13.5" across.
There are trap doors on all three sides from where the oil pump pick-up would be. If someone can tell me more about this oil pan,
I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
In July 1969, Penske and Sears signed an agreement where Sears got to use Penske's name for
certain automotive parts sold through its retail stores. These were mostly things like timing lights,
dwell meters and associated items related to tune-ups. One unusual thing that also got Penske's
name on it was a floor shifter. The Penske shift handle and box seen below are from the collection
of Robert Lodewyk and they are a seldom seen item. The shift lever was on the shifter body of a
Hurst Competition Plus when Robert bought it but he is not certain if the Hurst unit is what Sears
was truly selling. Anybody know for sure?

Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 03:20:59 AM »
A couple things I bought at Sears back in the day; well used. The gauges are Penske vacuum and compression.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
Good stuff! Thanks for posting, Fred.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »
September '69 National Speed Sport News article on a Bruce Crower stock block Chevy for Indy Car racing. Anybody got other photos or information on this engine?

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 06:39:24 AM »
Another shot of the Crower Chevy USAC/Indy engine as found on the Crower Cams website.
Jon Mello
CRG

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
I’m new here, Just an AMC nerd from Wisconsin. This TA site is literally my favorite site on the web so I joined mostly to say thank you all for posting what is the best TransAm racing information on the entire inter-web.

I know a few of you from other sites web sites like crazyamc, and Klvn8r.

I am fortunate enough to own a 69 Javelin TA hood made from the original molds, That’s about the only rarity I own, for now:)

The rest of my Javelin is mostly just a nice street car with suspension changes that were done to the TA cars at the time like a Panhard bar, higher rate springs, boxed control arms, brake upgrades and things like that. It works amazingly well.

Cheers
 Mike

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 03:08:09 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for signing up here and for the compliments about the Trans-Am forum. It is nice to get feedback and know that people are reading and enjoying this stuff. You've got a nice looking car there and I always liked that dark green color. It's interesting to know that somebody still has the old molds for those Javelin T/A hoods. They supposedly made 1000 of them back in the day but where did they all go???
Jon Mello
CRG

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 03:59:01 AM »
Thank you, it’s a fun car to own and drive.
It’s a very obscure piece and I am lucky to have it. I find it interesting that when I go to shows, even AMC shows, nobody has any idea what it is. The knowledgeable TA racing crowd is a small group.

Lots of rumors and hearsay floating around about these things. From what I know, nowhere near that number were made. It’s actually fun to hear all the theories. I think if 1,000 were made, they would turn up from time to time, they never do.
There was also a bolt on version created.
It can be seen on pictures of the Trippin' the Lights/Sherrif of Nottingham SuperStock AMX.

Now if someone will sell me an appropriate Traco intake to go under it... :)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
With that hood, sounds like you need one of the AMC tunnel rams instead.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »
Yup, that's the one......and they don't exactly grow on trees!!!  (I know of 3.... well, 1 of those might be the same as another, but with paint.)

klvn8r

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
Not sure where this belongs, and maybe it has been discussed before, but I would like to know if the factory cars (and some independants) used one engine for qualifying, and then changed to a race engine set-up for the race?

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »
Robert, it may have happened but I don't think it was very common unless you are talking about the '68 tunnel port Ford engines. But those got changed usually because they blew them up and not because they were a qualifier "ringer" engine. In Dave Friedman's book it says they went through as many as 6 engines a weekend (for two cars) when they were running the tunnel ports.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »
There's a cowl plenum air cleaner and duct for sale on ebay by seller "prostreetking1", auction #290841529368 for those that are interested and/or are in need of one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:14:13 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Can't remember if we had that set-up, but I don't think so.  Certainly remember seeing it back in the day.  How did they neasure any performance gains - not on an engine dyno but lap times?

Robert Barg

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:55 AM »
Looks like the seal has been replaced.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
There's a cowl plenum air cleaner and duct for sale on ebay, auction #290841529368 for those that are interested and/or are in need of one.

The listing was ended by the seller on 1-10-13 because the item is no longer available.

Paul

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »
I'm sure someone made him an offer that he couldn't refuse.

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
I recently found out some interesting information on some reproduction ‘TA’ parts for AMC’s.
Edelbrock will be making a short run of new STR-11 cross-rams and the new owners of Crane Cams has is going to be reproducing some ‘new’ SS AMX Crane prepared cylinder heads.

I Think this is great for the hobby, it makes these rare parts available at a cost the average person can deal with, and have availability to a wider audience. Also, these parts  can be used without fear of breaking something rare that can’t be replaced.

Are these, or any other manufacturer making reproduction versions of rare parts that would have made there way onto the original TA cars? The ‘New’ Ford Boss 302 blocks come to mind.
Anything else out there?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 12:45:24 AM »
That's pretty neat that some of the AMC stuff is getting reproduced as I have to assume some of that is getting really hard to find these days.

As for other things being reproduced that might be Chevy Trans-Am related, all I can think of is the reproduction GM cross rams. Holley did
make some reproduction carburetors with original LIST numbers on them (including the cross ram carbs) but I haven't looked to see if they're
still doing that or not. There might be one or two other things but, as of now, that's all that comes to mind.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:35:28 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 04:24:09 AM »
Jon,

Do you think the Bill Thomas repro headers fall into this category?

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2013, 05:25:58 AM »
The AMC parts being re introduced are a welcomed surprise. It is a good sign that there is a continual interest in our cars.  Jon, you are correct about the difficulty in finding some of the obscure parts of the day. With some of these re introduced parts coming to market, we might see a few more cars out being used, and not just shown.
     I wouldn't expect to see too many Cross Rams being sold to AMC owners, at least not to the extent they are sold to the Z/28 owners, but those that do commit, will definitely have a unique and fun addition.  Maybe mike343sharpstick  should consider adding his Trans-am hood to the mix!
      Thanks Mike for the good news. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2013, 05:44:41 AM »
Jon,

Do you think the Bill Thomas repro headers fall into this category?

Fred, I forgot about those but yes, I would say those fall into the same category. I think there are some J56 brake items that are reproduced also, such as the front caliper brackets.

Oh yeah, I guess we shouldn't forget about the reproduction cowl plenum air cleaners either.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
Anybody know anything about these aluminum exhaust manifolds on ebay?
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2013, 04:39:50 AM »
It was pointed out to me that somebody is selling some old Hurst Airheart brake calipers on ebay.

They are made of aluminum and are a 4-piston design, with each piston being 2" in diameter. The part #'s are 02-12577C & 02-12576.  According to the seller, they supposedly fit under 15" wheels and have a 6" bolt pattern, center to center. These calipers would not be legal to run in the West Coast-based Historic Trans-Am group since the rules say the Camaros and Firebirds need to run the GM calipers. Back in the day though, these aftermarket calipers were legal on Trans-Am cars beginning in the 1970 season.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2013, 05:00:45 AM »
Interesting that back in '68, the Japanese car manufacturers were buying up Chevrolet engines in an attempt
to build a car with competitive power to run in Can-Am/Group 7 competition. Notice that the engine is an all-
aluminum 350. Check out the splayed bolt pattern on the two end exhaust ports. I know of at least one set of
these heads that are still floating around.

Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »
sad to report that troy rogers chaparral mechanic and fabricator who also worked on the chaparral trans-am camaros, passed away may 7th of cancer. condolences to the family and members of the race team.

mike in canada

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2013, 04:14:10 AM »
Mike, it's sad to see another person from the great Trans-Am race series pass on.

Below are photos provided to me by Rex Turner. He owned this all aluminum small block with a very rare set of "Grand Sport only" heads featuring the splayed bolt pattern on the end exhaust ports (as seen in the article two posts above). These heads were meant to be used with special 8-bolt valve covers. Rex's engine (recently sold) was built by Keith Black's shop and was featured in the October 1979 issue of Hot Rod magazine. Thanks to Rex for sharing these pictures of his with us.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 05:01:22 AM »
I don't remember Penske selling gauges through Sears but here is an auction for some...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PENSKE-RACE-GAUGE-KIT-CLASSIC-WOOD-GRAIN-BLACK-HD-GAUGE-PANAL-SET-/310696069237

Jon Mello
CRG

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2013, 02:31:49 AM »
Well I'll tel you most of what I know.  The 71' Championship car (Donohue-Collins-Jocko) has been restored to Donohue era and was supposedly sold at Russo last year but I'm not sure of the sale.  That  car is no longer listed on the Historic Trans Am website roster.  We've seen it run, just look though the old event photos.  Both of the Roy Woods Cars still exist, Epsman and Sorenson owned, listed on the same website and still raced.  Those 2 cars were originally the Penske 1970 Javelins with updated sheet metal.  There was a third 70' Javelin (Donohue called it the s**tbox / mulecar) and it was donated by Donohue to the University of Pittsburgh at the end of the 70' season.  I believe this is the car Brooke Mosgrove restored and is now owned by Bruce Canepa.  David Feece owned a 68' Javelin and I believe that car now resides in Canada?  There is a 68' Javelin in Texas...I don't know which one, and then there is the Javelin owned by Craig Jackson that has a 1970 front end on a 69' car...I don't know what that's all about.  Buzz Dyer still has his 1970 Javelin, a beautiful restoration I might add, but the Historic Trans Am group wants him to repaint it to a different scheme than when HE raced it so you'll only see him at different vintage events because he won't. I haven't seen Ted Robert's Fyr Fyter Javelin (a RK 68) in some time.  I'd say most of them still exist but a bunch of them were re-skinned and updated.
Camicia
bob fryer who ran a funeral home near Pittsburgh raced the university of pittsburgh javelin back in the  day. bob used to race corvettes
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2013, 02:58:45 AM »
Hello motorman,

I remember Fryer driving the U of P 69 camaro. Not sure where that car came from but Jon will know.  We started on the same 11th row of the 71 Mid-Ohio T/A.

BTW, I'm also "older than dirt" - 75 recently May 26.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
A little blurb on the University of Pittsburgh Camaro can be seen here...

http://www.trans-amseries.com/projects/JohnMiller.html
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
I was at the SAAC-38 Shelby convention yesterday at Fontana and saw a couple of sets of magnesium D-spoke wheels
for sale by J Bittle. A set of 15x8 and a set of 15x10. Phone number contact is (858) 495-3395 for those with any interest.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »
Man... I wish I had known SAAC was at the Auto Club Speedway, I'd have gone too.

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2013, 11:50:59 PM »
I saw the U of P camaro at Legendary Motorcars (near Toronto) some years ago.  It was there for some time. Currently being raced?  Can't tell who is the current owner from the HTA blurb.
Their information is sometimes way out of date.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2013, 02:12:53 AM »
Robert, I don't know who the current owner is. I wold agree that I don't think it is currently
being raced. I haven't seen hide nor hair of it for several years.
Jon Mello
CRG

yenkomark

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
   The Pitt Camaro is owned by John Miller in Richmond , Indiana.  Spent several days with him and David Tom at the Mecum Auction here in Indy in May. They co-own the Smokey Yunick 1970 454 Camaro

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2013, 09:39:30 PM »
those pushrod guide plates in the pictures with "this side up" stamped on them were sold by mr gasket back in the day
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:43 AM »
   The Pitt Camaro is owned by John Miller in Richmond , Indiana.  Spent several days with him and David Tom at the Mecum Auction here in Indy in May. They co-own the Smokey Yunick 1970 454 Camaro

Thanks, Mark. John Miller was involved with running that Camaro back in the early '70s, wasn't he? How come it's not being raced anymore?
Jon Mello
CRG

yenkomark

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2013, 05:47:36 PM »
   John has sold his printing business in Indiana and is building a home in Florida, so time ( and money ) are a bit short right now.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »
John has sold his printing business in Indiana and is building a home in Florida, so time ( and money ) are a bit short right now.

That's understandable. Thanks.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »
You never know what you might find in a neighbor's garage. How about an old GT40?

http://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2014/02/garage-find-gt40-mki-chassis-p1067.html
Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »
one word...   WOW....   :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
Just thought I’d update on my earlier post about the Edelbrock/AMC re-introduction cross-ram.
IT’S HERE!

The current Owner of Pete’s Patriot, one of the original SS AMX’s, has a business, “Patriot Racing Products”. He worked with Edelbrock to re-introduce the STR-11 cross-ram with only a limited number available. I think it’s remarkable that Edelbrock was able to work with a small company to re-tool for a short run of a product like this. There are some changes to the new STR-11 in order to differentiate this from the desirable and valuable originals.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »
That GT 40 was bought by the same guy who is a regular on chasing classic cars with Wayne Carini. He finds all sorts of rare cars, and has a pretty nice collection from what I understand. That would be a neat find.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2014, 01:41:29 AM »
You never know what you might find in a neighbor's garage. How about an old GT40?

http://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2014/02/garage-find-gt40-mki-chassis-p1067.html

I haven't seen anything of Salt Walther for years. Just read his bio.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2014, 02:54:46 AM »
Just thought I’d update on my earlier post about the Edelbrock/AMC re-introduction cross-ram.
IT’S HERE!

That's very cool. Glad to see you AMC guys get some fresh speed goodies.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2016, 07:22:45 PM »
this fits the whatever category I think, bit bizarre ! a firebird Trans-Am with text from the book of revelations incised on it. this is at the Art Gallery Of Ontario (Canada) this is art   ::)

https://artmatters.ca/wp/2016/01/trans-am/

Mike (group/7)

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2016, 08:36:51 PM »
this fits the whatever category I think, bit bizarre ! a firebird Trans-Am with text from the book of revelations incised on it. this is at the Art Gallery Of Ontario (Canada) this is art   ::)

https://artmatters.ca/wp/2016/01/trans-am/

Mike (group/7)
Wow! That's pretty cool, alright. I think I'll NOT do that to my car...
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2016, 06:40:56 PM »
I would like to inquire if anyone on here knows what (realistic) prices true GM  (old, Guinn-documented) crossrams are actually selling for?Thanks!!    Ken

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2016, 11:06:07 PM »
Ken I don't know how realistic this price is but Heartbeat City has a original GM cross ram with original carbs. for 25k.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:37 PM »
That's what I'm talking about.....  :o    what are parts really trading for?   

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2016, 01:59:48 AM »
Well there not trading for 25k. I have seen them sell from 7k up to 14k, and claimed they were original set ups, with carbs and linkage.
This was within the last 3 years.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2016, 04:40:26 AM »
Well there not trading for 25k. I have seen them sell from 7k up to 14k, and claimed they were original set ups, with carbs and linkage.
This was within the last 3 years.

I agree with this.
Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
Generally speaking .. take 1/2 of Heartbeat's price ... to determine a closer value...  IMO.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2023, 07:16:15 PM »
Dragging this up from the past, New purchase I made!
My 1969 Javelin has a rare hood used by RKE on the factory AMC Javelins, now I have the intake to go with it.
Pictured are my two AMC tunnel rams, on the right is the Edelbrock base and on the left is the original TA intake.
The other two pictures are pulled from the internet showing a very similar intake on the TA Car, and from an engine that's been removed.
Now who can build Holley Dominators configured for an IR application?
 :D ;D

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2023, 12:02:06 AM »
Awesome score and that's for posting the pics!
Jon Mello
CRG

anything