Author Topic: More wire questions  (Read 7707 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
More wire questions
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
In the AIM wiring diagrams for 68:  What does the B wire go to on the engine harness side (passenger) between the blower and wiper motors?  It shows some relay or switch.  Also, on that side it shows a W/B and PPL going to the coil, but my wire has this and a yellow wire which isn't shown on the AIM, but it does show two wires together going to the coil. It just doesn't show the other wire. Is this yellow and B/W PPL correct?  Also, it shows a brown wire going to the other coil terminal.  I assume this is for the tach?  When I trace it to the bulkhead it doesn't trace back very easily.  Shouldn't 3 wires be going to the starter?  The main red and two to the solenoid?  This AIM diagram sucks.
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: More wire questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »
The 18 gauge Black wire goes from the wiper switch to the wiper and is part of the speed control. (I believe it goes to a resistor inside the wiper motor itself.)

The Brown wire is for the Tach and if your car only had "Idiot Lights", it ended at the outer bulkhead connector. If your car had gauges, then it continued through the inside bulkhead connector and finally to the tach circuit board.

The Yellow wire coming from the coil is the third wire you refered to going to the starter. It's just not labeled on the schematic.

And yes, the AIM diagram is poor (light) so you might want to get the 68 Chassis Service Manual. It also has the schematic in it and it's MUCH darker. Not only that, but it also has the other model schematics in it so you can also use those for reference.

Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »
That diagram looks like the guy drawing it left for lunch before finishing it and didn't come back.

The big stud on the starter solenoid should have the battery cable on it.

The "S" terminal on the solenoid should have a 12-ga. purple wire on it (energizes the solenoid in "start")

The "R" terminal on the solenoid should have a yellow wire on it (feeds a full 12 volts to the coil (+) when cranking).

The coil (-) terminal should have the black wire on it from the distributor (and a brown wire if the car has a tach).

The coil (+) terminal should have the cloth-covered resistance wire from the builkhead connector, and the yellow wire from the "R" terminal on the starter solenoid.

It also shows the pigtail from the battery (+) post with a ring terminal and ground; that ring terminal isn't a ground - it connects to the stud on the junction block.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
So Ed, that goofy looking switch thing is actually just a part of the wiper?  That would make sense now and it does have a black wire going to it.  Besides the lightness of the AIM (and I am using the chassis manual diagram because of that), all the wire diagrams for Camaro suck in general IMO because of the incompleteness and the layering of idiot lights with the gauges and not separating which is which.  Look in the chassis manual wiring diagram for the Chevelle, it shows where each of the idiot light wires goes for each bulb.

John, I forgot was I was looking at in my post.  To clarify:  The cloth covered W/B PPL wire on the coil and the yellow wire (which isn't labeled and is what goes with my cloth wire) is the same one that goes to the R terminal on the solenoid?

Just about have it narrowed down.  Do either of you know if the wire going to the Alt. (W) really turns into an ORG fusible link before it goes to the VR?  If so, is there a source for just this wire and if not could I just use the extra ORG fusible link wire I have and splice the W wire in since it's under the wrap?
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:44:32 PM »
Forgot to add if anyone knows of a place that sells wire that is close to original in colors?  Does the Pico stuff at auto places match?
68Z28

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 05:07:02 AM »
There isn't a fusable Orange wire in my orginal or replacement harnesses on the White wire between the VR and alt.

The cloth covered wire is a resistor wire that goes to the fuse block.  Once inside the car, it is a regualr wire that runs to the ignition switch.  On my replacement harness for a car with gauges (orginal is hacked), the Yellow and cloth covered wire are actually crimped into the same, single connector.  As stated, the Yellow wire runs from there to the solonoid.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
John, I forgot was I was looking at in my post.  To clarify:  The cloth covered W/B PPL wire on the coil and the yellow wire (which isn't labeled and is what goes with my cloth wire) is the same one that goes to the R terminal on the solenoid?

The cloth-covered wire is a resistance wire from the bulkhead connector, and the yellow wire runs from the "R" terminal on the solenoid to the coil (+) terminal; on original harnesses, those two wires were crimped together in a single spade terminal that went on the terminal post on the coil.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 11:55:42 PM »
There isn't a fusable Orange wire in my orginal or replacement harnesses on the White wire between the VR and alt.

It's just blue the whole way right?  Look at this diagram I got on another site.

68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 01:53:07 AM »
I meant white the whole way, not blue.  I'm getting cross-eyed.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 01:57:43 AM »
Flying, yours is a 68 right?  I looked at my console wiring booklet and the 69's show the VR with the same wires as we have. ( color, placement etc.)
68Z28

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:52:09 AM »
Yes, a 68.