Author Topic: Engine photos  (Read 119438 times)

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
Re: Engine photos
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 07:05:52 AM »
COOL, another cross ram engine with the aluminum valve covers and perhaps Stahl headers. ;D

They mounted the coil just like I did when I first installed a cross ram back in the early 90's. 8) This will clear either original air cleaner base. However, the studs are missing from both carbs so they may not have used an air cleaner . :o

Wonder where that hose from the PCV valve goes? Appears they also used a mechanical fuel pump.
Robert Lodewyk

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »
Maybe the air filter was built into the bottom of the hood like the L88 Corvette hood ?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
Andy's car had the standard flat hood. I had not caught that it had no air cleaner studs. The headers are not Stahls, they are Bill Thomas headers. I can tell be the routing of the tube coming out of port #6 (third back on pass side) which goes further out to allow cylinder #8 tube to curve forward behind it.

Looks like the fuel distribution block has a line for a fuel pressure gauge coming out of it. The PCV hose routs back to the wiper washer bottle on the firewall which is being used as a puke tank.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »
Photo of the engine compartment of the Larry Drover owned '68 Camaro which began racing at Daytona in the '69 season.
Original drivers were Larry Bock and Larry Dent.

Larry Drover collection
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »
An engine compartment with so much to see can be found here.  This is the engine compartment of the Bruce Behrens Racing 1969 Camaro (driven by John Tremblay and Bill McDill) at the 1970 Sebring 12 hours.  Dave Friedman collection photo, recently posted by The Henry Ford Museum.

• Crossram air cleaner, but a single four-barrel intake
  • Steel crossram hood, but with a prop rod like you normally see with the fiberglass crossram hood
  • Vacuum canister going to the master cylinder, probably helping to retract the pads for a brake change
  • TRACO remote oil filter mount on left side of engine bay
  • Funky alternator pulley
  • Quick disconnect fitting in valve cover (to add oil)

Many more great photos in the full set from the '70 Sebring event can be seen here.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
Engine bay photos from Motor Trend magazine. These shots were taken at the '69 Wolverine Trans-Am at
Michigan International Speedway. The first photo is believed to be the engine in Jerry Lagod's '68 Camaro.
(Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
Trick gas?  Is this something Sunoco supplied to everyone or only a select few? (wouldn't surprise me}.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2012, 08:10:35 PM »
Robert, I don't know what the reference to trick gas was all about. I don't think that was SCCA legal, whatever it was.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 03:20:12 AM »
Motor Trend may have been privy to some shop/dyno testing where fuel research was taking place; you know...in the name of science ;-)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
Seen previously in the 1968 Bryar Trans-Am thread, these great photos deserve to be included here as well.

Craig Fisher's Firebird engine compartment showing off its Al Bartz engine.

Ron Lathrop photo

Rusty Jowett's engine compartment on his '67 Z-28. This car was completely destroyed in a rollover accident at Watkins Glen one week later.

Ron Lathrop photo

The engine compartment of Peter Revson's Javelin.

Ron Lathrop photo
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:59:37 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2012, 01:32:29 AM »
I've never seen that Javelin picture before.....but its a crossram, so its a 1968 car....1969 Team cars ran the tunnel ram.   

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2012, 03:04:05 AM »
Craig, I thought the '69 Javelins only used the tunnel ram in conjunction with the special heads at the Michigan Trans-Am race. When those heads were disallowed after that race, I assumed the tunnel ram also went away. You're saying that's not the case and the tunnel ram was used during the entire '69 season?
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
Hmmm,  well, no I am not saying that.... sorry.  :-\  I still haven't figured out if they used the tunnel ram all season or not.  According to Kaplan, the killer block wasn't homologated, so it didn't see much use, except Michigan.  I'm assuming that since they used the bulged hood all year, that they used the tunnel ram.  Also, this car has the original trunnion front suspension.  Notice the lack of the "Ford style" caps on top of the shock tower.  In 69, the black caps were on the towers, and the front suspension was a bit better.  It is also noted that this is "Revson's car"...he drove in 68.  I also see a PRODUCTION AMC radiator.

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 03:53:37 AM »
The three photos from Bryar were taken in early August 1968 and with that in mind and the Javelin having red paint on the front of the car (as opposed to blue), those were the reason's I chose to ID it as Revson's. Follmer's car would have been blue on the front with the red being on the rear. I believe you have spoken with Kaplan, correct? Does he not recall whether the tunnel ram was used for the entire '69 season?
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »
Correct....Kaplan barely even remembered the tunnel ram.  We showed him several pictures before it finally 'clicked' in his head.  "I'd forgotten all about that!!"  was his words.  He has a good memory of the short deck block, however.  I don't think the heads were particularly special though.....the block is where the real 'detail' was located.  With some spacers, the intake will go on a factory block/head package.

klvn8r

anything