Author Topic: Engine photos  (Read 119389 times)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Re: Engine photos
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2012, 04:36:24 AM »
There is a picture of Smokey's engine on The Ponysite form 1969 and the motor is blue. Maybe just the Chevy motors were gold. As for the hood pins the second picture has them where the stock hood bumpers would go. I know that is a stronger mounting point compared to the top of the rad support lip which you can flex with your hand. Not really sure if that is why they moved them, just guessing. The aluminum air boxes are a work of art!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2012, 06:06:49 AM »
I didn't realize the Mustang radiator support is semi-flimsy at the top. On a Camaro, that area is strong and not flimsy.
I can't think of a Camaro that did not mount its hood pins in a place other than on the radiator core support.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »
The top is only 1 layer of sheet metal with a little acid dipping thrown in. The pictures are of my car that I am working on. I reinforced the top lip of the rad support. Some 69's had the pins inward like mine, mostly the Shelby cars and some outward near the fender like the Bud Moore cars.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
Thanks for the pics of your car and in particular for showing us the radiator core support and how you have beefed up the area around the hood pin. Nice touch on the opening for the radiator too.
Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
In regards to AMC intakes at the 2012 MCACN show, Jon Mello posted:

"Terrific! Would you please post some pics of the manifold and carbs in this thread when the show is over?"

Several of us have interest in the Javelins and hope we can see some photos. I received one photo from a friend in attendance,as follows

I recognize the crossram on the right, but maybe Klvn8r or Crazyamc can confirm what is shown on the left.
Thanks,
Bob

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
The tunnel ram and Dominators are mine. I loaned them to a good friend to display at the Chicago show..  I also included a picture of Kaplan's team under the hood at the first race in '69, ( Michigan ) and a print of the intake with the listed AM part #....   My hope was to clarify that these parts did indeed exist, were actually raced, in hopes that I can track down the piece of the puzzle I'm missing- the low-deck block....   The individual runner intake will only work with the special 6214 carbs....  all fuel metering is completely different and all 8 barrels open at once, ( think Webers or sprint car injection)...   Ronnie Kaplan has several references to building a 5/8 inch shorter deck block for '69.. This intake is exactly 1 inch narrower across the valley; 5/8 of an inch off of the deck height of an AMC requires a 1 inch narrower intake... ;)   Chicago is home for Kaplan and close to Kenosha--  somebody has to know something...     Ken

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
My hope was to clarify that these parts did indeed exist, were actually raced
Ken, I wish you well in that quest, I'm sure something will come of your display, and of course here on this forum, the "Best" source of accurate period correct information!
Do you have any casting numbers or stamps left on the intake? The small photo I posted doesn't show much, but it looks to be pretty heavily modified. Back in the day(and even some now) alot of engine builders would have to cut the intake to head surface back and use plates to get a better transition from the intake runner to heavily modified heads. This was especially common with the Pro Stocks with their welded heads to achieve the port sizes they needed.
    I believe the later Wally Booth Pro Stock engines used an intake of this nature.  Do you have any history on your particular intake? It looks like it could be one of the Booth variety. Those runners look like they have been shortened (correct me if I'm seeing wrong) but are still awfully long for road race responsiveness.
I should have some photos in my collection of the Booth engines, I'll try to post them.
Bob

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »
Ken, Good luck on your search. I know a some of the Kenosha crowd was at the show in Chicago as both the Wally booth Pro-Stock cars were there, and are based in Kenosha. I’m sure word is spreading. There is some crazy AMC stuff stashed away in south-eastern Wisconsin.

Some speculate that Roberts (OG69Z) Traco intake, rather than the tunnel ram was used by AMC later in the ’69 season. But from pigpens comments in an earlier thread that may not be the case. Also note that the bulge in the hood is wide enough to accommodate an airbox on top of the cross-ram intake. Note the room constraints on the cross-ram’d ’68 Javelins. I’d bet there wasn’t much more than 1 inch between the carb top and the hood.

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2012, 11:20:15 PM »
Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to arrange some of the pics into one post, but for now, here is a little more info;  1. yes, my intake has been modified; most of the carb mounting pad had been machined off, I don't know why.  2. my intake has absolutely no casting #'s, marks,stamps, nothing.  3. it has never been bolted down 'tight' to an engine, ( no washer markings)...   There is a youtube video listed as "Trans Am 1968", even though it is clearly the 1969 season, I believe at Donnybrooke. There is about a 5 second piece that shows John Martin CLEARLY stroking the throttles on two inline Dominators..    Later Pro Stock gurus all tried to make IR Dominators work with no success, and all written articles said the same..  a 2" throttle will barely feed a ~500hp application.  360 cid Pro Stocks were probably close to 600 or better.  I have seen pics of this intake with a "plenum adapter" on top, making for an extremely tall induction; again, probably too long of runner for a drag motor.  Slabbed and sectioned Pro Stock heads like Booth, Arons, and Maskin and Kanners required major welding and epoxy-  and most used the Edelbrock UR-18...    My intake will never look completely original, and the fab work was not finished in time for the show, but it is a true T/A piece.   I'm sure the crossram would have enjoyed a taller air cleaner, but one pic I've seen of a domed hood on a crossram Javelin still carries the super-flat airbox...   I do appreciate all the discussions, tips, and ideas...  ya'll are the best..    Ken

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2012, 12:27:54 AM »
Here's a link to the youtube video you're talking about. You're right that it is from Donnybrooke in 1969, not 1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr6U4_2PgPE

The link below shows the second part of the Donnybrooke video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0OOSQPXT8
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2012, 12:59:47 AM »

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »
We have plenty of pictures of the Booth, Arons, and Maskin/Kanners intakes and even the WIBG pro stocker Gremlin.  Most of those are extremely modified and were of the Edelbrock UR-18 variety.  I even have a captioned picture of a Weiand  "channel ram".....but Weiand claims no such intake was built for an AMC.  If I'm not mistaken, the AMC drag racers were sectioning the cast iron heads, making the ports even taller than could be cut from a factory head.

There is a pro-stock intake here in Texas, as well as some of the pro stock heads in another area.

klvn8r

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2012, 03:10:49 AM »
This is great research!  Some good links from 1109RWHP, Thank You! Good photos of the Dominators too.

I don't think anyone can question  the existence of the Dominators in the still photos that have been posted by Jon. I personally don't even doubt the fact that Mr. Kaplan may have tried running a drag race designed tunnel ram. Not being disrespectful in any way,  his engine building skills have never been the pinnacle of his racing legacy. Apparently it wasn't the "cat's meow" , especially as klvn8r stated "Kaplan barely even remembered the tunnel ram". It seems it would have been a high point in his recollection if it had worked out.

Either way, as Mike343sharpstick has pointed out, that hood bulge is huge and wide. I think its likely there were many different intake/carb combinations tried under that hood, including the crossram. Ken's manifold appears to definitely be another obscure piece of AMC history, but I'm not convinced we can be certain that "it is a true T/A piece" as Ken stated. At least with what has been presented. The following photo  shows a manifold which appears to be like Ken's used in a  Pro Stock. This certainly doesn't rule out it being used previously in a Javelin, but it might help answer why it had been modified so extensively.    (sorry, unable to credit its source)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2012, 04:30:09 AM »
This is the link I was originally looking for. Too bad the first phot will not load. Good picture of the BIG air box.
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=46746.0

anything