Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

Engine photos

<< < (2/31) > >>

Bruce302:
One of my favorite engine bay shots. Taken by Dave Friedman, this shows the Chevrolet engine in Jerry Titus' '69 Firebird at Mid Ohio.
The twin Holley Dominators were perhaps a little large, and I understand that they were only used on this one ocassion.

The engines were built by Dave Billes' Performance Engineering Ltd, the company decal can just be seen on the front runner of the manifold.

There is plenty of other detail to take in for the keen eye.

Bruce.

Bruce302:
This engine shot (photographer unknown) is the Joe Miller backed, Paul Hecker  driven, # 19 '69 Camaro, better known as the (ex) University of Pittsburgh  car.
This pic was taken at Watkins Glen 1972.

Again, some neat details to be seen.

Bruce.

Jon Mello:
Hey Bruce, thanks for posting the photo of the Titus engine. I'm kind of curious how the TG team was able to use that manifold and carburetor set-up. Was that something Pontiac had homologated on the proper SCCA forms or did the tech inspectors "look the other way" for that particular race? I assume they wanted to run this for a top-end boost and see how it performed against the Boss 302, which was also biased more toward top-end power rather than mid-range. Have you spoken with Dave Billes about this set-up?

Bruce302:
Here is a copy of an SCCA recognition form for the "1968" Firebird. This version of the page only shows the manifold in question'

Another page shows the Edelbrock cross ram manifold. There was still a lot of rivalry between Chevrolet and Pontiac at this time, despite both being part of GM, they were competing for sales and market share as they would with Ford and Mopar.  T/G Racing had a friendly Chev parts man who would source the good racing parts for them, but if asked who the parts were going to, he would name one of the local Camaro racers.

This page shows the Edelbrock manifold

SCCA papers generously provided by Chad Raynal.

Jon Mello:
Thanks, Bruce. Hey Chad, would it be possible for you to post the Firebird SCCA paperwork you have? I've never seen it before and would love to see more.

Here's a photo of Craig Fisher's 302 engine in his '67 Gorries "Black Panther" Z-28. This was taken during tech inspection for Sebring, late March 1967.
At Daytona in early February, the car had the power brake booster and the cowl plenum duct to the firewall but as you can see they have already been
removed and modified for Sebring.

Photo by Craig Fisher

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page