Author Topic: Cars we haven't seen much of  (Read 15358 times)

cuda48

• View Profile
Cars we haven't seen much of
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
I was very interested to know what happened to the 1970 Camaro that Smokey Yunik built (was originally gold and black like most of his cars).  Discovered this very same car was later painted orange and sponsored by AJ Foyt, driven by Swede Savage.  I read somewhere that the car went to Switzerland? and has been restored to original gold and black.Anxious to see photos of it now.  Also understand this Camaro was the FIRST 1970 Camaro built by R and D at GM, given to Smokey to build a race car from rather than destroy it.

Mike Camicia

OCTARD

• View Profile
Re: Cars we haven't seen much of
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
Hello Mike,

Indeed this car is in Switzerland.  More detail has been made available by the current owner here.

I had the pleasure of meeting the current owner's brother and nephew at the 2010 Monterey Motorsports Reunion, and they brought with them a great book of details on the history of this Yunick-built Camaro.  This car, like many Smokey Yunick creations, is super trick.  For those more interested, a great article on this Smokey-built '70 Camaro can be seen in Street Rod Quarterly (Fall, 1971).  My old fax machine copy of the article wouldn't scan or show well on the forum.

Mike, when this forum was started up, I sent the present owner the same heads-up note I sent you... So perhaps he'll see our discussion and provide more.

-Chad

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
Here's another car I'd like to see, Vince Gimondo's 69'Camaro.  This car has been restored but from what I understand has too many updates for the Historic Trans Am group.  Sad

Mike

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »
Hello Mike,

I love the look of that Vince Gimondo Camaro.  They documented the restoration of this car several years ago on Dream Car Garage.  Knowing what's expected of the Historic Trans-Am Group, I knew we may never see it running out there with the other 40-plus original T/A racers. 

-Chad

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
Or how about one of these?  I know one of these is setting in someone's garage right now needing a ton of work.  Will we ever see it?

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »
is it for sale  ;D
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »
Legendary Motorcar Company (Dream Car Garage) had the U of Pittsburgh 69 camaro for sale for a long time, but it is not listed on their inventory now - where has it gone?

Legendary does many restorations per SVRA specs - usually not exactly "period correct" from what I've been told.

For several years Legendary housed the Canadian Motorsports Hall of Fame cars - now gone to storage as they are trying to build their own facility - don't believe they have any early Canadian T/A cars.

Robert Barg

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 04:37:50 AM »
Here's another car I'd like to see, Vince Gimondo's 69'Camaro.  This car has been restored but from what I understand has too many updates for the Historic Trans Am group.  Sad

Mike

I recently purchased the original Jones/Stahl tach as well as the SW water temp gauge that was in this car from a previous owner. When it was "restored" they upgraded to newer components. I'm told the current owner is in the San Francisco area and the car is for sale.
Robert Lodewyk

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 07:02:16 PM »
Robert, the University of Pittsburgh Camaro is listed on the Historic Trans Am website as owned by John Miller out of Indiana.

Camicia

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
I think that sounds right about the UoP Camaro, that John Miller of Indiana may currently own it. There was a John Miller who was part of the original crew for that car and I think it is he who owns it now.

I am curious about this car that Harry Lipetz used to race (the ex-Lance Pruyn car). It was sold to a new owner (I don't recall the name) who spent a fair amount of $$$ to rerestore it and then I think it was only raced one time maybe 4 years ago. Anybody know what's going on with it?

Jon Mello
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »
That is a VERY Clean looking 67, with subtle flares and sans bumpers... I'll take one or two, at used race car prices...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 12:41:16 PM »
There is another 70 Camaro that was bought from Smokey Yunick and restored said to be a pilot car and TA test car
here is a quote from the owner

"I am the owner of the first 1970 Camaro to be produced at the Norwood plant (Nov. 69). I bought the car years ago from Smokey Yunick. The VIN is: 123870N500001 and yes I know that is a six cylinder car. However, my car was sent immediately to the GM proving Grounds (Chevrolet Engineering) and became a test bed for many of the racing options. It was then sent to Smokey Yunick and he was instructed to run tests on all of the various components for homologation of 70 and 71 racecars. The FIA required that all sedan-based racecars to be eligible for FIA Groups I and II racing have the major components be certified as "production" items of Service replacement item available "over the counter"
I am interested in getting any further information on this and other similar cars."

anything