Author Topic: Headers  (Read 121338 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Headers
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 02:05:03 AM »
Hi, probably Appliance headers from your description.

They could also be '70s-era BlackJack headers as the same description fits. The BlackJack headers were white back then and I think they are black now.
Jon Mello
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 02:13:50 AM »
These are at least 1975 as far as age.  Rust is the color on these.  lol  Like I said Ill get pics of them tomorrow.  Im thinking they are BlackJacks..  Are there any identifying numbers or locations for stampings that I could look for?  Any chance you have any catalogs from them Jon?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 03:48:09 AM »
Are you saying they are older than 1975 or newer than that? No, I don't have a catalog for BlackJack headers but have seen
old ads for them and confirmed the details that way. Post the pics and eventually we will get a definitive answer for you.
Jon Mello
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »
They are 1975 or older.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »
Here are the pics.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 05:00:12 AM »
The guy at this thread... http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/appliance-headers-first-gen-camaro-156947.html
says he has Appliance headers and they look basically like yours. However, he bought them as used items in a
junkyard and he may not necessarily be right. Below are two photos of his headers and they match up well with
yours. I think his are actually BlackJack headers with the optional "Alumacoat" and yours may be the standard
BlackJack headers without the special coating. I don't have a lot of '70s magazines but I will keep looking
around to see what else I can turn up.

Here is a Summit Racing Equipment ad for BlackJack headers from December 1981. The front tube (#2) is not
routed quite the same as yours but since it is a drawing, it may be just drawn incorrectly. The tiny color ad below
that shows the driver's side Alumacoat BlackJack header and that seems to be a match.

Jon Mello
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
I definitely see the similarities but I also see that the merging of the colllectors are different in lengths.  Not sure if that could have been a manufacturing change or what but they are very similar.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
Good catch on the different length. We'll get an answer sorted out eventually.

Here's some info on Appliance headers, including a page from one of their catalogs showing Chevy part numbers. The part number for Appliance headers was down on the individual tubes near where they are welded to the collector. Most other manufacturers seemed to stamp the part number on the upper flange but Appliance headers used individual flanges for each tube so there wasn't the same room available to do that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:28:05 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »
Here is one of my original Kustom Headers Decal Sticker:

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2013, 05:28:16 AM »
Some NOS header "singles" from the Robert Lodewyk collection. These came off a wall at a defunct speed shop as I understand it. The first
two pics are of a Douglass H504-DU Chevelle small block header, passenger side. The other two headers are thought to also be by Douglass
but there are no part number tags on them and we're not sure why they are painted a different color than the Chevelle header.

Jon Mello
CRG

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »
the thinking now days about headers is not equal length as it wideneds out the torque curve.  the new grand am corvette race cars even have unequal length fuel injection intake stacks for the same reason
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »
Yes, sometimes you'll see some strange and/or funny tubing bends on headers that are trying to have
equal length. I can't think of too many crazier looking bends than on the Stingray headers shown below
in a June '68 ad by Headers by Ed (Racing Exhaust Specialties). Note the Douglass style upper flanges.

This 1969 ad shows Z-28 street headers. Here it looks like the Douglass style upper flanges have been
replaced with the early style Hooker Header flange but with a circular notch cut-out for the temp sender.
These guys look like they made very good headers. (Jon Mello Collection)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:37:39 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
the thinking now days about headers is not equal length as it wideneds out the torque curve.  the new grand am corvette race cars even have unequal length fuel injection intake stacks for the same reason

I would think a wider torque curve would be desirable, no?
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2013, 05:09:17 AM »
Mickey Thompson came out with his "Super Scavenger" headers in 1968. A novel idea that didn't
last more than a couple of years. I believe M/T painted his headers orange. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2013, 03:58:48 AM »
Pages from the '68 Mickey Thompson Speed and Custom Equipment catalog. (Jon Mello Collection)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:24:01 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG