Author Topic: Headers  (Read 121339 times)

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
Re: Headers
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
Very COOL set of headers. :)
Robert Lodewyk

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
Are there comparable versions of any of the road racing headers such as the ones in this thread being produced today? Could you find similarly priced road race headers that might even be better? Amazing work!
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »
I believe they are still reproducing the Kustom and Bill Thomas/Douglass headers on a onesie-twosie basis but the price is not anywhere close to what they were originally. I think the price is $1500 or above. The other headers shown in this thread are not being reproduced. Hooker and Hedman are still around but their headers do not look the same (different flanges and pipe bends) as they did in the old days. You might be able to find used examples, which is why I have chosen to include pages from their advertisements and catalogs, making them easier to identify when and if they are found.
Jon Mello
CRG

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »
Mr. Mello , you would seem to be the one to ask. Who made these ? Appears to be a Hooker #. Original owner stated when he ordered the Z he also ordered headers through the dealer. When he picked the car up they were in the trunk ,dealer would not install. I know they are not Stahls but am curious. None the less they are going back on, have been with the car since 68. any info would be appreciated.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
2 more shots.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 03:07:26 AM »
I know I'm not Jon but I used to work at Holley as the tech support for Hooker & flow tech headers..  The 2204 is the part number for Hooker headers..  If I'm not mistaken they are the super comps with 1 3/4 primaries & 3" collectors & were able to be used with ps but not a/c.  I'm going off memory so I might not be 100%. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 05:00:05 AM »
Janobyte, it is my opinion that the headers you have are Hookers since the part number seems to be one of theirs and later Hookers did
use that type of flange at the cylinder head interface. The '67 Hooker flanges are seen on the first page of this thread. The flange changed
for '68 due to Chevy putting a temp sender boss in the side of the cylinder head. The Hooker catalog below shows the style of flange that
Hooker was using from '68 to at least 1971 and probably later. I think your headers are mid '70s at the earliest. Just my 2 cents worth.
(Hooker catalog from the Jon Mello Collection)

Close-up view of the flange kit showing the style of flanges Hooker used in the late '60s and early '70s.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:19:20 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
You are correct ,they are 1 3/4 "   I was pretty sure but not 100 % they are Hooker Super Comps. More important I am fishing for a date. Not to say the original owner is telling a story but by 76 ( when my father purchased it) the car changed hands 3 times and I can surmise they were replaced. At first I believed possibly the dealer ordered the headers as they did the Sun tac. Sadly that car may of had Stahls which are long gone. This is why I truly appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site. The truth is in the catalogs.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
It may well be that your car came new with the factory headers in the trunk so the original owner may
not necessarily be lying. With the car changing hands several times before your dad got it 7+ years later,
the headers could have been replaced by one of the interim owners and the original owner would have
been none the wiser. Stahl headers were never used by GM as their OEM supplier of headers. For the
'68 model year, Kustom headers would have been the brand that was offered.
Jon Mello
CRG

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »
The history lessons here never get old to me .  Makes sense there was a header swap somewhere up stream. #1 owner tracked me down a few years ago. We spoke some time and he wanted to meet but I really have no interest in selling , where  this "meeting" was eventually going.

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 02:32:10 AM »
back in the day I was a stocking dealer for KUSTOM headers. jerrys stahl headers were good but they were heavier than some other brands and extra weight on the front of a race car is not good.
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
Kustom made good headers and they got pretty popular in the early '70s but then it all fell apart. I don't know why but I guess it must come down to mismanagement.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »
Here are pages from the 1971 Cyclone headers catalog. Dick Harrell ("Mr. Chevrolet") and some of his
drag cars were featured inside the front cover. The 1970 Mopar Trans-Am cars used Cyclone headers.
(Jon Mello Collection)

A good look at the style of flange used by Cyclone in the early '70s for small block Chevys.
Note the markings in the first picture below that show equal length primary tubes.

A June 1968 ad for Cyclone headers showing Chevrolet competition headers.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:02:36 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »
I see someone out there is welding up the Kustoms. By no means am I trying to be insulting ,but what is the quality ? Tig welded ? Flanges thick and true? Tube size and gauge ? I'm interested the nostalgic look of them.  Never putting the cast iron exhaust manifolds back on it---never. Really digging the "street" T/A look ! That's what these Z's were built for, correct?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »
Both the Bill Thomas/Douglass reproduction headers and the Kustom reproduction headers are done with a high level of craftsmanship.
I got my current set of reproduction headers through Larry Christensen when he had his Camaros Plus business several years back. He since
sold the business to Steve Pelletier and the phone number is 303-420-6229 (Colorado). I would assume Steve P could either sell you the
headers or direct you to whoever is doing them, whether that is still Larry's sideline or somebody else's. They're not cheap but they are
well done and I think you'll be happy to own them.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything