Author Topic: 68 custom interior center dash bezel  (Read 5099 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
68 custom interior center dash bezel
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:19 AM »
My 1968 woodgrain center dash bezel is shot.  I've tried two repro replacements so far, and both are very poor quality (the stick-on woodgrain is real bad).  All the parts dealers (Ricks, NPD, Classic, Firewheel, etc.)  seem to use OER as the supplier.  Anyone know where I can get a good bezel, or someone that can redo the fake woodgrain?  This is for an a/c equipped car.

joesauer

• View Profile
Re: 68 custom interior center dash bezel
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:34:56 PM »
Has anyone tried affixing a thin wood veneer to the center trim panel to restore the damaged "fake" wood grain...and then staining it to match the factory look (followed by a coat of satin varnish)?

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »
Still looking for a good walnut grain center bezel.  Have returned 5 so far (different vendors, but bezel only made by OER).  The stick on walnut "contact paper" is really bad.  Does anyone have experience with restoring one of these, or know of someone who can put a new wood or vinyl veneer on? Thanks.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
Other than finding a nice used one, you're probably stuck. You might want to call HEARTBEAT CITY (if you already haven't), and see who makes theirs. I believe they're all the same though.

When I was (MUCH) younger and repop parts weren't available, we used to go down to the 5 and dime (ask your parents), and get woodgrain shelf paper. There was one that was actually very close in appearance! It's probably no longer available, but you might try some of the home improvement stores or hobby stores in your area and see what they have in the way of contact paper and/or veneer.

Ed

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:13 PM »
you might find wood grain contact paper at a Home center(might be a different supplier) just a thought

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:27:22 PM »
damn  tree'd again

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
Real wood veneers are available in different thicknesses and sizes, with and without PSA backings. I buy it for custom furniture locally and through on-line woodworker suppliers. High performance wood grain vinyls are also available from various suppliers and are of higher quality than a box store shelving paper. The vinyl may be a better choice for this application. I get samples for all products I use no matter what field I'm working in. And naturally you can just keep hunting for a nice GM bezel.

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »
Found a place called Juliano's (in Ct.), www.julianos.com, that does automotive woodgraining using the hydrographics process.  They can match the original Camaro fake walnut contact paper look, and finish.  The good news is the walnut looking finish is right on the aluminum bezel, not some stick on panel.   

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
I've seen hydrographics. The image transfer I understand. The process can't duplicate the texture that is on the original bezel film. If that's of any importance.

anything