Author Topic: Finish on battery hold down clamp  (Read 5779 times)

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
Finish on battery hold down clamp
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
I just bought three used, original battery hold down clamps.  All three had the two "dimples" on the crimp side, but were covered in crud from years of use.  When I cleaned them off, they all had black EDP coating over bare steel...no phosphate plating..  Well, just two weeks ago a friend if mine had a supposed NOS one that was phosphated.  I've seen NOS GM replacement ones on eBay that were phosphated.  In a different CRG topic on battery clamp bolts, JohnZ said his original clamp was painted black.

Does anyone know what the original assembly line correct finish was?
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Finish on battery hold down clamp
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
I just bought three used, original battery hold down clamps.  All three had the two "dimples" on the crimp side, but were covered in crud from years of use.  When I cleaned them off, they all had black EDP coating over bare steel...no phosphate plating..  Well, just two weeks ago a friend if mine had a supposed NOS one that was phosphated.  I've seen NOS GM replacement ones on eBay that were phosphated.  In a different CRG topic on battery clamp bolts, JohnZ said his original clamp was painted black.

Does anyone know what the original assembly line correct finish was?

Jerry's '69 book says natural or gray phosphate, but I disagree; Chevrolet would not have used a raw steel clamp adjacent to the battery. The same clamp was used on all Chevrolet car lines from '67-'69, and those I've seen are painted black, llike the battery tray. Service parts frequently had a different finish so they wouldn't rust in warehouse storage, vs. the production parts that were received raw and primed black in the plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
bowtie, do you want to get rid of one?
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
I'm the original owner of my Camaro (68).  The battery hold down clamp is original and is painted black.

Steve

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:20:32 AM »
X77,

Sorry, I need all three clamps.  I'm using one and my friend is using the other two.

JohnZ and Steve68,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  I'll go with black paint and reference your (JohnZ) reply to the judges at the Camaro Nationals this year if I get dinged on my battery clamp being painted vice phosphated.  I hope this helps others too.
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 03:29:22 AM »
I have an original battery tray and clamp from a '67 Camaro that was rear-ended and totaled back in '67 with only 1100 miles on it. The original clamp is black, not natural.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

anything