Author Topic: Intake paint procedure  (Read 3815 times)

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
Intake paint procedure
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:24 PM »
Hey there... putting away a few parts and just wanted to be sure before I clean them up and  stored them:

Was the carburetor and distributor on the engine when it was painted orange?   L48 1969 or just the distributor?

The lift hooks were on, the dipstick was not, the water outlet was on, the exhaust manifolds were on, water pump and no pulley's?   How about the fuel pump?

thanks guys.... I read the engine assy. process and saw pics from the 67 line but wasn't too sure if anything had changed.
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Intake paint procedure
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »
Was the carburetor and distributor on the engine when it was painted orange?   L48 1969 or just the distributor?

The lift hooks were on, the dipstick was not, the water outlet was on, the exhaust manifolds were on, water pump and no pulley's?   How about the fuel pump?

The distributor was in place (and covered with a coffee can) when the engine was painted, but the carburetor was installed at the car assembly plant, as was the fuel pump and all the pulleys. The exhaust manifolds were installed after engine painting (that started in 1965).

Look in the Assembly Manual - any part that shows an item number and part number callout was installed at the car assembly plant, thus will not have orange paint on it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:35:55 PM »
Thanks John. 

I have a coffee can!    ;D  great tip.

I also have an AIM, its just that I'm moving in a couple of weeks and have no idea which box it's in!! ???

Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »
Yes, but how do you get paint to stick to the exhaust crossover ports! :D Mine are already plugged internally and externally.