Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

Racing seats

<< < (2/12) > >>

Jon Mello:
Yenko sold a seat that had higher side supports but which was not as tall.

Nickey/Bill Thomas sold either the same seat or one very similar.

OCTARD:
Forum member "Sixteen Grand Sedan #56" was kind enough to turn me on to one of the original GM racing seats about 13 years ago.  My seat was never used and had the GM part number on a piece of masking tape between the cover and the shell padding.  Though my original GM racing seat looks very similar to the first item posted by Jon, the cover is slightly different.  My cover extends over the steel bracing on the upper backside of the seat.

-Chad

OCTARD:
About 8 years ago I sourced some replicas of these original GM racing seats, and took some pictures of one next to a Shelby R-model seat.  I took the pictures because several folks thought the GM piece was the same, or close, to a Shelby R-model seat.  I think these pictures illustrate just how different these seat shells really are.

-Chad

Jon Mello:
Here's an interesting 1970 ad from Auto World showing a seat for Trans-Am cars.
Notice the upholstery is the same style as the NOS factory seat at the top of this thread.

Here's another ad from 1970 showing that Auto World was selling the Berry seat
and this ad uses the same Berry photo with the different upholstery pattern.

Jon Mello:
Early on, some guys such as Craig Fisher just fabricated side bolsters to fit around the stock seat.
Of note, in '67 all Trans-Am cars needed to retain a passenger seat. For the '68 season (and after)
the passenger seat no longer needed to be installed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page