Author Topic: Racing seats  (Read 55973 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Racing seats
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
The car is undergoing restoration. Much of the bodywork is done but it is not yet painted. Dave says the fiberglass seat
is very narrow and does not fit him well so he is putting it on the shelf and is picking out another style of low-back seat.
Jon Mello
CRG

yenkomark

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
   A friend just bought a Corvair race car which has been dormant for years. It has a Solar ( steve McQueen ) fiberglass high back seat which he will sell. $200 & shipping or make offer.It is in my garage here in Indy.

200mph

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »
A great thread. 
Nascar Busch champ Randy LaJoie now runs a seating and racing safety company in Concord NC "LaJoie of Seating".  He has a mint Donohue/Racemark seat at his shop, says it was the inspiration for the fabricated aluminum seats he builds, primarily for Nascar, but we use his seats for road racing.  He will build vintage seats to order.

Most aluminum racing seats (ButlerBuilt, Kirkey, Richardson) and those shown in this thread capture the ribcage and pelvis to keep the torso located. 

The Donohue seat and LaJoie seats, capture the shoulder and pelvis.  Much more effective, less injuries result.   thejoieofseating.com/

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
Boys,
FWIW, when I bought an old MGA (back in the 1980s) to go racing, it had the GM racing seat installed. I also thought it was an old 'R' model seat. Unfortunately, I threw it away (I know, I know, wrong thing to do!) because it did not have head supports. I was just a dumb kid back then…Oh well live and learn!  lol
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 02:21:08 AM »
This photo may have been posted on the forum before by Jon ? Craig Fisher's Camaro prep.

Did they really just use what looks to be a stock seat, with side bars ?  I know it was early times,,,, but   ???

Also looks to be some work on the front fender ?

Mike

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
Looks like the flared the wheel lip a little for tire clearance, but as to the seat it looks like its a stock seat, but the headrest looks like the factory 68 piece, not the taller 67 unit.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2019, 06:02:16 AM »
Looks too low to be a factory headrest seat.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 05:56:30 PM »
I have a copy of the original sales invoice for the car and it did not have headrest seats.
Jon Mello
CRG

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2020, 02:44:57 AM »
Another 1971 ad, this one for a Yenko seat. The mention of a Yenko Stinger refers this time to the new Chevrolet Vega, which Yenko also modified.

For what it may be worth, day late and a dollar short, my first brand new, ordered from the dealer car was a 1973 Vega GT.  Fully loaded, 4 speed, posi, etc.

I wanted to auto cross it, so we welded in a roll bar with braces back to the rear wheel wells.

Saw the Yenko ad, and bought front and rear spoilers and the “anti-hop” bars.  Maybe they were intended for non-posi cars, but I broke so many of them that I felt the Yenko test team.

I got replacement front and rear brackets, replacement bars (one set with screw-in heim joints front and rear.

Regardless of what combination, they were junk.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2020, 03:23:07 AM »

Hopefully you can look back and laugh about it now but I'm sure that was mighty frustrating.
Jon Mello
CRG

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »

Hopefully you can look back and laugh about it now but I'm sure that was mighty frustrating.

Well, being that I was also going to college at the time, and married, dealing with stuff like that was, let's say, character-building.

I retired this past April, and as a gift to myself, I had an 1/18 scale replica of my Vega GT custom made.  As you can see, it has the Yenko front and rear spoilers, harder to see is the rollbar; and impossible to see, as I did not have them fitted to the model, are the useless traction/anti-hop bars.

IMG_1566 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2020, 09:48:31 PM »
That looks sharp.  Nice job!
Jon Mello
CRG

anything