Author Topic: 69 rear end  (Read 4920 times)

brownie69z

• View Profile
69 rear end
« on: March 29, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »
Is there a vent of any kind on the rear end? It seems to get awfully hot and leaks around axle seal (from preasure?)

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 69 rear end
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »
Is there a vent of any kind on the rear end?

Yes there is. There's a plastic VENT TUBE on top of the pumpkin on the passengers side of the car. Make sure it's there and not plugged or crimped.

HERE'S a shot showing where to look. (Note that the vent is missing in this picture and only the hole is shown.)

The axle will get hot after several miles of driving, so that's fairly normal. How hot is it getting? You should be able to touch it without getting burned, but it WILL be hot!

It also sounds like you need to replace your axle seals. After 40 some odd years, they go bad and leak. As a matter of fact, I just replaced mine a few weeks ago.

Ed

brownie69z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 03:19:20 PM »
Thanks ED, pic very helpful. Pumkin gets pretty hot but think i can still touch it. The guy that had car before me put Strange axles in so i replaced the whole bearing assembly with new seals and gaskets . Possibly the origanal backer plate is so rough from age that the gasket dont seat properly.Guess i'll try that next. TY again Randy

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »
Thanks ED, pic very helpful. Pumkin gets pretty hot but think i can still touch it. The guy that had car before me put Strange axles in so i replaced the whole bearing assembly with new seals and gaskets . Possibly the origanal backer plate is so rough from age that the gasket dont seat properly.Guess i'll try that next. TY again Randy

I don't believe the backing plate has a gasket and shouldn't have anything to do with leaks.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07:52 AM »
Here's a good pic. of the Vent tube in place.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

anything