Author Topic: Finally some progress  (Read 4156 times)

jk1969z28

• View Profile
Finally some progress
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:00:36 AM »
Thought I would share some photos of my car, finally!!!  The first photo is what I delivered to Mike of Mike's Custom Cars in South Carolina.  The other two photos are what Mike has done to turn my heap back into a car.  Why, I'm sure you're asking, would I go through the trouble of fixing this car?  Because it is the car I have always wanted, a 1969 Z/28 with the original 302 and tranny.  Many have an original Z but the motor and/or tranny are long gone so I thought this was worth the effort and I know I will never get the money out of it that I have invested, but making money was never a consideration  ;D   Its a late June car, Cortez Silver no vinly top, flat hood, black standard interior and when finished it will be just as close to how it came from the factory as I can get it with as many NOS parts as I can find and then........ I WILL DRIVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry K.

Dusk_Blue_Z

• View Profile
Re: Finally some progress
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:31:17 AM »
Wow, looks great Jerry. She was banged up pretty good. Glad to see another one saved. Keep us updated.
1969 X77 01B 51 51 flat hood

sleepsinshed

• View Profile
    • Y2Camaro.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:27:30 PM »
Kudos to you for rescuing it, and kudos to Mike for breathing life back into that sorry looking shell!

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »
Jerry the car is looking great, what was the extent of metal replaced?
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:03:41 AM »
Thanks guys, its amazing what we'll do for the car we REALLY want.  Sonny, the firewall at the seam back through the floor to the frame rails needed replacing.  That metal is not NOS, mainly because that metal to me is not worth looking for and paying the big price even if I could find it.  The Quarters are NOS and the door skins and front end are NOS.  Mike has kept everything he could, he goes the full distance, basically taking every piece apart, blasting them and reassembling on a jig he has made.  He has been doing this for a loooonggg time so he could probably do this in his sleep.  Its amazing what one motivated young man can do with a plasma cutter and some welders  ;D  I have roughly 500 pictures he has sent me and when I pick it up I will get a CD full of pictures.  If GM did what Mike does in building these cars, many, many more would still be around, but that was a different time.

Jerry

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
Jerry, thanks for the extra info. Keep us posted on your progress as we will be interested in seeing the build.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

anything