Author Topic: Firebird and the Trans-Am series  (Read 205352 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Firebird and the Trans-Am series
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Many thanks to Mike K. (Swede70) for sharing this T-G Firebird article from Motorcade magazine with us!

1969 interior below

1969 firewall below

1969 upper cowl below

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:28:53 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2012, 04:19:14 AM »
What a great article, and addition to the site.  More detail about the cars and the series rules than most of the other period pieces.

I must say, even if I were fortunate enough to own a '70 T-G Firebird, I don't think I could run that shifter handle.

Thanks Mike K. and Jon.

-Chad

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2012, 07:12:07 AM »
I agree that shifter handle would have to go.

The following picture that shows the master cylinder also shows the stock wiper bottle bracket in a location that would be inaccessible on a production car. Curious why it is there.

Also noticed the heim end on the clutch rod coming out of the firewall 8).
Robert Lodewyk

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
I wasn't aware the rules for 69 stated "upper front A arm suspension points can be moved, and for 70 both upper and lower can be moved" according to the above article.  Is this correct?

I'll admit I didn't read the rule book or pay much attention to those things.  As far as I know we raced our 67 with stock mounting points thru 72.

Is this stuff mentioned in the "Unfair Advantage" by Donohue?

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »
That shifter handle is not like that ordinarily in the T/G cars. I suspect the tranny is out and the shifter handle is just laying there.

As for the a-arm location mounting points being unrestricted starting in 1970, I was not aware of that. However, looking at rule C12 in the SCCA Sedans section of the 1970 rule book, the magazine article would seem to be providing factual information.

Thanks for picking up on that Robert.
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
The shifter handle comment was said in jest.  I guess I should have put a smiley face after the sentence. 

It surely couldn't have been at that angle... though an era-correct 427 Cobra shifter handle is arguably just as goofy.

-Chad

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2012, 12:16:52 AM »
Ok, am I correct in assuming that front suspension mounting points were stock from 66-68?  What was to be gained by changing them? 

Robert Barg

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2012, 04:07:05 AM »
Quote Octard;
"I must say, even if I were fortunate enough to own a '70 T-G Firebird, I don't think I could run that shifter handle."

That pic with the strange shifter is marked, and certainly looks like a '69 interior. If I read correctly, this was the 69 car set up with the 70 changes before the new bodies turned up.

Bruce

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2012, 04:54:05 AM »
That pic with the strange shifter is marked, and certainly looks like a '69 interior. If I read correctly, this was the 69 car set up with the 70 changes before the new bodies turned up.

This is hard to say, but you're probably right, Bruce. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2012, 05:29:27 AM »
Robert, I believe the relocated suspension points helped improve the camber change as the car cornered. I would say that front
suspension mounts were supposed to be stock in '66-'68 but no doubt there were some teams that got away with changes.

Here's a Pontiac engine building article for the T/G Firebirds of the 1970 season. Many thanks to Mike K (Swede70) for sharing this with us.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2012, 03:35:14 AM »
Two American Airlines stewardesses were selected as hostesses for Riverside Raceway in 1969.
Dee Kuhn (left) and Sally (Sam) Olsasky pose here with the T/G Firebird of Jerry Titus.

Bob Sanders Collection, courtesy of Robert Lodewyk
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »
Chad posted this in the New Zealand/Australian Camaros and Firebirds thread, but it makes good sense to post it here as well since it concerns Bruce's T/G-built Firebird...

Folks interested in this subject and forum may appreciate a thread that Bruce Thompson (BRUCE302), has been updating recently on The Roaring Season.  This car has some of the coolest one-off parts for early F-bodies. 

The thread can be seen here.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2012, 07:02:58 AM »
Lamar Engineering ad featuring fiberglass bumpers and spoilers.

Bruce, can you confirm that these are the guys that Titus got his fiberglass bumpers from?
Jon Mello
CRG

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »
Hi Jon, I will have to check on the above advert. Is that Paul Lamar's company ? i know he did some 'consulting work on the later Firebirds, and also the earlier race cars , but whether he actually made the parts I'm not sure.

Bruce.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
Ok, am I correct in assuming that front suspension mounting points were stock from 66-68?  What was to be gained by changing them? 

Robert Barg
Relocating the A-frame mounts would aid camber, caster, bump steer, center of gravity and wheelbase adjustments.

anything