Author Topic: YouTube (or other) videos of early Trans-Am racing  (Read 28862 times)

OCTARD

• View Profile
Re: YouTube (or other) videos of early Trans-Am racing
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
Please find a link below with 1970 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am video footage:

http://youtu.be/2kfK2Wj1WwE

This video was put together by Todd Lang.  Todd is the son of Dick Lang, also well noted on this site as an early Camaro Trans-Am racer (along with a wealth of other racing efforts and achievements).

Todd notes that the original film was Super 8, and taken by his Dad, who was at this event because he agreed to be a “backup driver” in case of a no-show.

Todd Lang

• View Profile
    • Dick Lang's Road Racing Career
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »
Thanks for posting the video.   If I find any other Trans-Am videos, I will post them.
Appears most of what I have access to are from other series, like this one from 24 Hours at Daytona. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObGoxBs8sqk

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 12:45:57 AM »
Thank you Chad for posting that on Todd's behalf.

Welcome aboard, Todd. It's great to have you sign up for the forum. I look forward to your contributions and would definitely enjoy learning more about your dad and his racing career. Many of the Daytona and Sebring endurance races back in the old days featured Camaros and other pony cars besides the Corvettes, sports cars, Prototypes, etc. I don't mind you posting links to those old races. I'd love to see footage from the ARRC events including the one your dad won at Riverside in 1968. If you have any footage from the '69 ARRC A/Sedan race, I'm sure Scott (S A Dunbar) would appreciate seeing that. In fact any A/Sedan footage (which often ran against A and B Production Corvettes) would be a lot of fun to see. Thanks again for signing up and sharing.
Jon Mello
CRG

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 01:22:26 AM »
I'm not sure if this one has been posted yet but I found it today looking through many videos on youtube.  Some of the sound has been dubbed over and it looks like they sped up the film at certain points but its pretty good footage nonetheless of the 1970 Lime Rock race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0qgchd5zHA&feature=related

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »
Thanks!

I'm not sure if this one has been posted yet but I found it today looking through many videos on youtube.  Some of the sound has been dubbed over and it looks like they sped up the film at certain points but its pretty good footage nonetheless of the 1970 Lime Rock race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0qgchd5zHA&feature=related
Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 10:18:33 PM »

Welcome aboard, Todd. It's great to have you sign up for the forum. I look forward to your contributions and would definitely enjoy learning more about your dad and his racing career. Many of the Daytona and Sebring endurance races back in the old days featured Camaros and other pony cars besides the Corvettes, sports cars, Prototypes, etc. I don't mind you posting links to those old races. I'd love to see footage from the ARRC events including the one your dad won at Riverside in 1968. If you have any footage from the '69 ARRC A/Sedan race, I'm sure Scott (S A Dunbar) would appreciate seeing that. In fact any A/Sedan footage (which often ran against A and B Production Corvettes) would be a lot of fun to see. Thanks again for signing up and sharing.

I would certainly enjoy seeing video of the 1969 ARRC A/Sedan race...!   Of course, Bill Petree, driving a 1969 Camaro, won the A/Sedan National Championship in this race.  My father won the 1980 GT1 National Championship driving the very same Camaro.

a side note...  Todd's father, Dick, and my father, Jerry, raced together many times...  In those days, Dick was running a A/Sedan Camaro and my father was racing a Corvette in B Production.  In the very first inaugural "feature" race at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in 1968 - a SCCA Regional Race - Jerry finished 1st overall and 1st in B Production, and Dick finished 2nd overall and 1st in A Sedan...

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 03:42:04 PM »
Cool video with classic commentary and music.

TRANS AM RACING FILMS 1967-68 DVD BOSS MUSTANG CAMARO

ebay link
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:46:12 PM by Jon Mello »

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 05:07:19 AM »
Some 1969 and 1968 Trans-Am coverage within this video:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/deansgarage/videos/3/

If you put your mouse pointer over the little black circles within the progress bar just to the right of the "play/pause" icons, you'll see pop-up text that provides segment tags for the video content.  For those that want even more guidance...

• 1969 Riverside T/A content starts at the :19 mark.
  • 1968 Riverside T/A content starts at the 50:54 mark.

Plenty of other cool old racing footage that's not T/A as well.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 11:17:10 PM »
Smokey Yunick video. Daytona Hall of Fame induction. Not Trans-Am related per se, but a colorful personality from Chevrolet racing history.
Jon Mello
CRG

Todd Lang

• View Profile
    • Dick Lang's Road Racing Career
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »

I would certainly enjoy seeing video of the 1969 ARRC A/Sedan race...!   Of course, Bill Petree, driving a 1969 Camaro, won the A/Sedan National Championship in this race.  My father won the 1980 GT1 National Championship driving the very same Camaro.

a side note...  Todd's father, Dick, and my father, Jerry, raced together many times...  In those days, Dick was running a A/Sedan Camaro and my father was racing a Corvette in B Production.  In the very first inaugural "feature" race at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in 1968 - a SCCA Regional Race - Jerry finished 1st overall and 1st in B Production, and Dick finished 2nd overall and 1st in A Sedan...

Here's an article on that race you mention.  Note that both our dads beat the Cobra, and that is what counts.  ;)

I am working on transferring some old films to You Tube.  Nothing huge, as so far I just have some of the Corvette footage.  Still looking to track down the Camaro races of 68 and 69.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
Chad Raynal pointed these out to me. Great footage of the '68 Sebring 12-hour race which included the Trans-Am cars. The second race on the Trans-Am schedule that year.

First segment of 1968 12 Hours of Sebring coverage: click here.
Some cool Penske, Donohue and other T/A coverage, and some hood open shots of "the lightweight" beginning at the 14:03 mark (not very clear).
Second segment of 1968 12 Hours of Sebring coverage: click here
A great T/A winner interview beginning at the 8:00 mark.

Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »
Still more '68 Sebring coverage, this time via a very clean '68 AMC Javelin promotional film identified as The New World of American Motors.  Some staged bits, but clips recognizable in most recently compilation footage clearly recognizable.  I've picked up filmstrips, other films and somehow had missed this.  If I've repeated some link seen elsewhere on this thread, please remove 'me'! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1j2Lm5JXIE

Mike K.

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »
Still more '68 Sebring coverage... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1j2Lm5JXIE

Great footage, Mike.  Thanks for posting.

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
Super 8 footage of both the 1972 and 1970 Lime Rock Trans-Am events (even though the YouTube video title says only 1970).

http://youtu.be/iYnGb4fcn9w

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Chad. It looks like the '72 Trans-Am is first until the 1min 30sec mark and then it switches to the '70 Trans-Am with the U-2 cars first and then the O-2 cars after that.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything