Author Topic: Exhaust Hangers  (Read 5420 times)

montgomg

• View Profile
Exhaust Hangers
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
What is the correct finish for the exhaust hangers on a 69 Z28? I am referring to the metal hanger brackets. I am assuming they were either unpainted or silver cadmium? Perhaps galvanized? Thank You.

sd1968z28

• View Profile
Re: Exhaust Hangers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »
mine were unpainted on 68z.

rszmjt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »
Plain Steel unpainted as noted, at least my NOS ones are.

john302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:29:05 AM »
All of the ones that I have seen nos and used are bare steel. If its a restored car plate them silver zinc. Looks good and prevents rust.All of the hangers that Gardner exhaust sells are plated silver zinc. John

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
I had spoken with Gardner. They offer the hangers unplated (natural metal) in their base kit. For an additional sum of money they will
plate the hangers. They called it galvanizing but perhaps they mean silver plating.
Does any one know how the judges at a major meet would evaluate plated hanger brackets when the originals were unplated?

rszmjt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »
I had spoken with Gardner. They offer the hangers unplated (natural metal) in their base kit. For an additional sum of money they will
plate the hangers. They called it galvanizing but perhaps they mean silver plating.
Does any one know how the judges at a major meet would evaluate plated hanger brackets when the originals were unplated?

I have installed quite a few first gen Gardner Exhausts, their detailed show hangers are silver zinc plated and very nice. They spend a lot of time making the correct rivits like the GM production line parts. The rubber is corded just like the originals. Unfortunately they are only available with their exhaust systems, they dont sell individual parts.            
 As a note of Interest, be carefull when buying NOS hangers, there was a run of them where the upper holes are stamped into the hanger EXACTLY backwards and will not bolt into the body. I have successfully Tig welded those holes up and redrilled them. I then ground/buffed/sanded them off carefully and shot them with Eastwood Matte Clear so they would not rust.
 ALL the other Repo hangers are not even close IMO.
I dont think judges would take points off for plated hangers, but it probably depends on what class you are being judged in.

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »
I got a couple of those backward hangers!!!!!!!!!!!  I didn't know what the heck was going on and pulled, and pushed and shoved and finally gave up.  :'(

I took all my hangers and dropped em into acid bath.... removed the zinc and clear coated them.  They've maintained a nice natural finish.

Bright plated is to me, like having  bright plated body bolts. ::)  That's just me.

If you are restoring it's your choice. There's  a lot of Gardner exhausts out there.  When I talked to him, and asked about the plating, he said 'buyers prefer them that way'... so style and fit are correct but the plating is not.
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »
My preference, I believe, is to clear coat the natural finish hangers to retard rust and use stainless steel bolts and nuts.
Thanks for the responses.

anything