Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 136074 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #315 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:30 AM »
is it me or do the seats look like they are positioned to close to the tunnel?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Swede70

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2017, 07:10:32 PM »
Greetings and thanks for the ongoing interest,

Although I haven't fabricated them yet, I hope to add the offset shifter platform/transmission linkage indentation to the tunnel, whereas seen just below is a build up shot of one of the cars revealing what might be judged offset seat mount rails.  I may well have to refabricate the 'Cuda main roll hoop given that the headrest is likely sited too far in, whereas everything added later will reflect errors committed earlier during the build process.  At least my labor rate is cheap!  See:

...as for the seats, at present they are copies of the GMP '67-'69 Trans Am Camaro fitment produced for my creation of a two-piece urethane mold to suite the purpose.  I haven't much to choose from here given most period 1:18th scale seats road racing seats are sourced from Shelby GT 350R's and the like, whereas I vaguely hope that the new ACME Trans Am 'Cudas and Challengers might offer up something more accurate.  Surely I need to work on the seat mounts and come up with the AAR 'Cuda seat support structure extending back to the roll hoop cross bar, etc. above and beyond what I've done to date. 

Concerning the new ACME releases expected in the second and third quarter of 2017, most have judged them a mixed bag given the limited 'tribute car' nature of the products to come.  ACME Trading Co./Greenlight Collectibles purchased the old Hwy. 61 tooling a short time ago and have opted to invest only so much in new tooling consistent with overhauling otherwise standard production versions of these cars. Some might come away satisfied with what's on offer, although most will judge the effort a cynical one reflecting a lack of will to afford the potential purchaser better.  Given ACME didn't want to exceed a price point of $129.95 or so for any of these offerings and inflationary pressures upon what and where the models are produced, all that can be delivered by them is a compromise of sorts.  Perhaps TSM will revisit the topics at some point in sealed resin?  See the following link to examine what will be afforded by ACME in 2017:

http://www.auto-und-modell.de/pages/aktuell/2026/Spielwarenmesse-2017-ACME-118/

...as to the models in question, it doesn't quite appear that they've reduced the ride height at all, the tires appear very toy-like, while for employing the stock body shells no flare work has been reproduced.  I could go on, but what photos are afforded convey much that needn't strictly be articulated.  In sum, at least I have reason to continue with my particular efforts!  Kind thanks for your reviewing this post...

Mike K.

Oldtimer

• View Profile
Mike - I couldn't agree with you more on the offerings coming from ACME/Greenlight.  They carry on the tradition of the "tribute" '67 Mustangs, which , with very little work, could have replicated the Shelby Trans Am Mustangs.  The lack of simplistic details such as roll cages, fuel cells, and other racing details renders the Greenlight models no more than door stops.  I am afraid that the forthcoming Barracuda and Challenger "clones" will be equally disappointing.

However, the unknowing and misinformed will buy them, place them on shelves, and be very proud of owning nothing more than a mockery.

You, however, My Friend, continue your commitment to an accurate, yet labor-intensive, replication of these iconic racers, and I applaud your efforts.