Author Topic: 1966-1972 Trans-Am race memorabilia [dash plaques, patches, passes, etc]  (Read 133112 times)

OCTARD

• View Profile
Sorry Jon, I don't know more about the history or performance of the suits.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Another item from Robert Barg. I believe it's from Le Circuit Mt. Tremblant (St. Jovite, Canada)
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
Greetings,

A used book find in Detroit, MI. this.  A first edition copy of Mark Donohue's racing autobiography The Unfair Advantage, purchased for a very modest $25.  Good of course, but same copy bore an inscription I couldn't immediately make out.  Concerned only to purchase the copy and get away quickly (!), I later inspected my purchase to notice this copy had been lent to '68-'69 AMC Javelin Racing Team principle Jim Jeffords.  Upon return of the copy he signed it, whereas he also scribbled in margin notes to correct what needed correcting within the Javelin chapter - too cool I think.  Anyways, something to share...

M.K.

Swede70

• View Profile
Greetings,

1970 SCCA Schaefer Trans-Am / Lime Rock windowfront decal used to regionally promote the race.  A rare survivor, this an eBay find.  Thanks...

Mike K.

M.K.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Neat pieces, Mike.  Thanks for sharing.

-Chad

Swede70

• View Profile
Hello,

1968-1969 Javelin Racing Team cap.  Cheap nylon construction, very flimsy, certainly not wearable.  Collected in Michigan, hence likely MIS '69 or perhaps Mid-Ohio '68.  '69 JRT team funds and promotion effort weak by contrast to '68 effort, so perhaps from the first year then.  Anyhow, not the usual 'iron a patch onto a likely cap' seen. 

Mike K.

M.K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Interesting item from a historical perspective but downright silly looking. Maybe that's why Ronnie Kaplan wore his "fishing hat" so he wouldn't have to wear one of those!  :)
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
Yes, that JRT cap is quite nasty - so bad that who would bother to reproduce it?  There exist better period Disneyworld MM caps with stapled-on ears I do say!

-

Poster images, short identification, assembled in a rush,

...'67 Mid-Ohio SCCA Trans Am rendering, one of four images sold as a set in the back of Road & Track magazine.  Other images F1, FIA GT prototype as well as Can Am.  Smaller format, but fun and in period.

...'68 Watkins Glen Trans Am poster.  One look at '69 poster/program design relates why '70 poster image looks as it does!

...'70 Gurney Hot Wheels poster commerating sponsorship deal then just signed.  '70 Feb. test of 'Cuda at Riverside with specific livery seen top right.  Findable as one might say.

...'70 Swede Savage poster, with Don Getz the artist.  Rumored promotional for Goodyear which purchased one of the cars and toured country with same to various outlets complete with early rendition of Garlit's rear-engined top fueler.  No id. to support that claim, other posters in series, alas this the only Trans Am topic.

...'71 Donohue Penske Javelin at speed.  Common enough and obtainable via auction sites.

M.K.

Swede70

• View Profile
Three more posters,

...'71 Roy Woods Racing Javelins, Penske '70 mounts sold and rebodied.  Current product, easy to find.

...'71 Bud Moore BOSS 302 Mustang George Follmer at Mid-Ohio, a winner there.  SCCA piece, roundel logo seen far right bottom.  Findable.

...'72 Roy Woods Racing Javelin.  George Follmer driving #1 then.  Test sheet or simply untrimmed?  Rare - have never seen another.  

Thanks...

Mike K.

OCTARD

• View Profile
More great stuff, Mike K.  

The first time I saw that RWR compilation poster, it was being sold at a Wine Country Classic event at Sears Point a couple-to-few years ago.  They sold the poster with an option to have many of the original team members sign the item, as they also had a bit of a RWR/ARA team reunion at this event.  

Though not a period poster, this item below is definitely retro.  It was being given out to various folks at the 2011 Wine Country Classic... or what they now call the Sonoma Historics/Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Many thanks, Mike K, for posting those items. We've really got some neat and interesting things to see in this thread. I believe I still have that '67 Mid-Ohio rendering from R&T from when I was a kid. All boxed up though, not on display.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
This was among some of the programs and other memorabilia that I purchased from Robert Barg at the races a couple of weeks ago.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1967 Bryar Trans-Am poster courtesy of Ron Lathrop.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
One of my best friends, George DeBacker, passed away from cancer last year. He had this poster which was given to me and it supposedly originated from my local Chevy dealership. I've never seen another example. Any Chevy memorabilia collectors out there know what year this is from? The size is approximately 36"x 42".
Jon Mello
CRG