Author Topic: 1966-1972 Trans-Am race memorabilia [dash plaques, patches, passes, etc]  (Read 132078 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
One year only event. Modesto Trans-Am.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Mid-Ohio dash plaques. Fort Wayne Region of the SCCA.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Poster for the 1968 Riverside Trans-Am race

Jon Mello
CRG

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Le Circuit, Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1968 Sebring. The pony cars were part of the 12-hour race this year unlike
1966 & 1967 when the Trans-Am race was it's own separate event. To clarify,
the 1968 Sebring race was an official part of the Trans-Am but the T/A cars
had their own class within that race. The cars carried "T+" stickers affixed
to their sides.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Official dash plaques from the 1967 & 1968 Riverside Trans-Am races.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Driver wristbands given to me by Craig Fisher. He didn't recall which race these came from.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Hard to find one of these! An unused 22-page entry form for the '67 Sebring Trans-Am.
Inside is a map of the course, timetable of events, a list of race officials, supplemental
rules & regulations, a form for noting driver and co-driver biographies, team credential
requirements, plus the actual entry form!

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1967 Daytona stuff. A patch, official tech inspection decal for the windshield (used for both the
24-Hour "Continental" race and the Trans-Am), and an unused entry pass.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1967 Daytona 300 Trans-Am ad. First race for any Camaro in Trans-Am.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1967 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am poster

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1970 Watkins Glen Trans-Am dash plaque

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Yenko officially prepared two "Stormer" versions of the Z-28 for competition
in 1967, a blue one for Bill Boye and a red one for Bud Gates.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:10:32 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

PURESS

• View Profile
Hey John...I notice in the Ad...official  FIA weight....could you explain this to me...and how much lighter is that of a normal production camaro...Thanks Scott

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Scott,  Here's my understanding of it. If I'm wrong, maybe somebody will correct me. In '67 they took the manufacturer's claimed dry weight of the car and allowed a 350lb reduction from that claimed weight, so with a stated F.I.A weight of 2,640lbs, I would gather that Chevy must have claimed a base Camaro dry weight of 2,990lbs. For 1968, the rules were changed to get away from arbitrary dry weights claimed by the various factories involved and established a flat dry weight of 2,800lbs for all over-2 liter Trans-Am cars. For '69, they bumped that weight up to 2,900lbs and I believe in 1970, they moved it up to 3,200lbs dry or 3,400lbs ready-to-race. I believe it stayed at that weight through the '72 season.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Patches from Road America that I got in my youth. Really great track, about 4 miles long,
in the picturesque rural setting of Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Jon Mello
CRG

PURESS

• View Profile
Thanks John

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Copy of newspaper ad in the '67 Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Jon Mello
CRG

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
I was wondering if they raced "Cameros" ::) back then as well---Guess so.
Robert Lodewyk

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
I happened to attend that race - was on my way to Laguna and Riverside for the Can-Am races and stopped in at Stardust for the Trans-Am.  My friend and I had obtained press passes from the Canadian Wheelspin News racing paper, so I had an official job (non-paying) to write  race reports  There were 5 "cameros" in the race including the winner Donohue.

Later we would head up the West coast to Vancouver and stopped in to see the Kent Trans-Am race.

I was actually on a scouting trip to see if I might like to move to CA but was too late - all the immigration rules had recently changed for Canadians.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Don't tell me, you left your camera at home on that trip, didn't you?!  :D
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1967 Penske Racing advertisement.

Photo: Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
Jon,
That last piece of art work looks a lot like Dave Deals' but I don't see his trademark signature.  Dave did the MG mittens adds in the old sports car magazines, designed some models kits and most recently helped Pixar with the designs for the cars in the movie 'CARS".  Dave sadly passed away last year.  There is a website for his work if you google it.

Mike Camicia

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Mike, I'm not sure that's his artwork or not. Similar is some ways and not in others.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Heuer was one of the preferred time keeping pieces for timing race laps back in this era. As TAG/Heuer today, they
are still a premier watch and stopwatch company. Shortly after the Camaro was introduced, Heuer came out with a
watch bearing the Camaro name, with built-in stopwatch capability. They were available in 2 and 3-dial configuration.
Roger Penske bought engraved Heuer Camaro watches for all members of his race team after winning the '68 Trans-Am
championship. Heuer Camaros are collector watches today with a very accurate Valjoux movement.

http://classicheuers.blogspot.com/2009/07/heuer-camaro-ref-73445.html
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
From the 1971 Watkins Glen Trans-Am...

Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
Jon,
Is all this Vintage Trans Am stuff from your personal collection? 

Mike Camicia

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Mike, most of it is but not all. The Riverside poster was not mine and the Watkins Glen dash plaque is not mine. Anything else posted by me, is mine.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1969 Laguna Seca Trans-Am poster

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1969 Sears Point Trans-Am poster

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
1969 Watkins Glen Trans-Am Poster Pic Below.

Though the poster shows a '68 Shelby Trans-Am Mustang, the date coincides with the 1969 race.  In addition, the text talks of the 1969 season.

"Roger Penske Sunoco Camaros for Mark Donohue and Ronnie Bucknum... Shelby Mustangs for Peter Revson and Horst Kwech... Bud Moore Mustangs for Parnelli Jones and George Follmer... AMC Javelins for John Martin and Ron Grable... a Pontiac Firebird for Jerry Titus"

Sorry about the formatting.  It's the best I could do with shooting a framed poster mounted fairly high up in my garage.

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
1970 Watkins Glen Trans-Am Poster Pic Below.

Again, sorry about the formatting.  I should have taken pictures before I framed these posters and placed them high up on my garage wall.

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
1972 Lime Rock Trans-Am Poster Pic Below.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Original newspaper announcing the 1968 Daytona 24 hour race, which included the Trans-Am cars that year.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Dana Chevrolet racing ad from 1967.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I just like this...   :D
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
From Robert Barg's collection...

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
An social invitation given to Robert Barg for the weekend of the '71 Lime Rock Trans-Am race.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1967 Modesto Trans-Am bumper sticker.

Frank Dihartce Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
Mark Donohue Performance Products patch and fire suit tag.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Mark Donohue Performance Products sticker.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Hurst-Airheart patch.  I know these brake calipers weren't legal in SCCA Trans-Am competition until 1970, but some first-gen Camaros started running them once they were allowed.

OCTARD

• View Profile
1972 Schaefer Trans-Am Sticker (Lime Rock Park).

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Chad, the Mark Donohue Performance Products items are neat. Do you happen to have a catalog and know what sort of things were offered?
Jon Mello
CRG

JoeC

• View Profile
cool items.

here is a 1969 Sebring cover with what looks like a drawing of the 1968 Penske Camaro leading the big boys

OCTARD

• View Profile
Hello Jon. 

On the Mark Donohue Performance Products items, yes, they came along with something between a pamphlet and a catalog.  There were also Racemark and Fypro items noted and offered.  I just haven't been able to find the literature yet.

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
1968-1971 Watkins Glen Trans-Am patches.

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
Our 67 camaro was assigned that # 16 for the 69 Sebring race.  Turned out to be a good number as we finished 25th o/a and 3rd in the 2-5 litre touring class.

Robert Barg

OCTARD

• View Profile
Jon, I finally found the Mark Donohue Performance Products catalog/pamphlet tonight.  

The literature that had the Mark Donohue Performance Products sticker, patch and fire suit tag is titled "Monsanto and Donohue, A New Team"

Cover and Page 1 included in this post.  Note the checkered "d" patch on the fire suit Mark Donohue is wearing on the cover.  It's very similar to the patch I posted yesterday.

OCTARD

• View Profile
The last two pages of the "Monsanto and Donohue, A New Team" catalog/pamphlet included in this post.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Note the checkered "d" patch on the fire suit Mark Donohue is wearing in this picture taken in the paddock of the 1971 Sebring Continental race (Formula A/Formula 5000).  It's the same, or very similar to the patch I posted yesterday.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Racemark Fypro Catalog

This post contains the cover and page 1.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Pages 2 and 3 of Racemark Fypro catalog.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Pages 4 and 5 of Racemark Fypro catalog.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Page 6 and back cover of Racemark Fypro catalog.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Roger Penske's Sunoco Camaro News Release (1969)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Great items, Chad. Thanks for posting them. Can you enlighten me about the Monsanto "Durette" uniform vs the "Fypro"? Seems like Fypro quickly replaced the Durette as the top of the line suit.
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
Sorry Jon, I don't know more about the history or performance of the suits.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Another item from Robert Barg. I believe it's from Le Circuit Mt. Tremblant (St. Jovite, Canada)
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
Greetings,

A used book find in Detroit, MI. this.  A first edition copy of Mark Donohue's racing autobiography The Unfair Advantage, purchased for a very modest $25.  Good of course, but same copy bore an inscription I couldn't immediately make out.  Concerned only to purchase the copy and get away quickly (!), I later inspected my purchase to notice this copy had been lent to '68-'69 AMC Javelin Racing Team principle Jim Jeffords.  Upon return of the copy he signed it, whereas he also scribbled in margin notes to correct what needed correcting within the Javelin chapter - too cool I think.  Anyways, something to share...

M.K.

Swede70

• View Profile
Greetings,

1970 SCCA Schaefer Trans-Am / Lime Rock windowfront decal used to regionally promote the race.  A rare survivor, this an eBay find.  Thanks...

Mike K.

M.K.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Neat pieces, Mike.  Thanks for sharing.

-Chad

Swede70

• View Profile
Hello,

1968-1969 Javelin Racing Team cap.  Cheap nylon construction, very flimsy, certainly not wearable.  Collected in Michigan, hence likely MIS '69 or perhaps Mid-Ohio '68.  '69 JRT team funds and promotion effort weak by contrast to '68 effort, so perhaps from the first year then.  Anyhow, not the usual 'iron a patch onto a likely cap' seen. 

Mike K.

M.K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Interesting item from a historical perspective but downright silly looking. Maybe that's why Ronnie Kaplan wore his "fishing hat" so he wouldn't have to wear one of those!  :)
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
Yes, that JRT cap is quite nasty - so bad that who would bother to reproduce it?  There exist better period Disneyworld MM caps with stapled-on ears I do say!

-

Poster images, short identification, assembled in a rush,

...'67 Mid-Ohio SCCA Trans Am rendering, one of four images sold as a set in the back of Road & Track magazine.  Other images F1, FIA GT prototype as well as Can Am.  Smaller format, but fun and in period.

...'68 Watkins Glen Trans Am poster.  One look at '69 poster/program design relates why '70 poster image looks as it does!

...'70 Gurney Hot Wheels poster commerating sponsorship deal then just signed.  '70 Feb. test of 'Cuda at Riverside with specific livery seen top right.  Findable as one might say.

...'70 Swede Savage poster, with Don Getz the artist.  Rumored promotional for Goodyear which purchased one of the cars and toured country with same to various outlets complete with early rendition of Garlit's rear-engined top fueler.  No id. to support that claim, other posters in series, alas this the only Trans Am topic.

...'71 Donohue Penske Javelin at speed.  Common enough and obtainable via auction sites.

M.K.

Swede70

• View Profile
Three more posters,

...'71 Roy Woods Racing Javelins, Penske '70 mounts sold and rebodied.  Current product, easy to find.

...'71 Bud Moore BOSS 302 Mustang George Follmer at Mid-Ohio, a winner there.  SCCA piece, roundel logo seen far right bottom.  Findable.

...'72 Roy Woods Racing Javelin.  George Follmer driving #1 then.  Test sheet or simply untrimmed?  Rare - have never seen another.  

Thanks...

Mike K.

OCTARD

• View Profile
More great stuff, Mike K.  

The first time I saw that RWR compilation poster, it was being sold at a Wine Country Classic event at Sears Point a couple-to-few years ago.  They sold the poster with an option to have many of the original team members sign the item, as they also had a bit of a RWR/ARA team reunion at this event.  

Though not a period poster, this item below is definitely retro.  It was being given out to various folks at the 2011 Wine Country Classic... or what they now call the Sonoma Historics/Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Many thanks, Mike K, for posting those items. We've really got some neat and interesting things to see in this thread. I believe I still have that '67 Mid-Ohio rendering from R&T from when I was a kid. All boxed up though, not on display.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
This was among some of the programs and other memorabilia that I purchased from Robert Barg at the races a couple of weeks ago.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1967 Bryar Trans-Am poster courtesy of Ron Lathrop.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
One of my best friends, George DeBacker, passed away from cancer last year. He had this poster which was given to me and it supposedly originated from my local Chevy dealership. I've never seen another example. Any Chevy memorabilia collectors out there know what year this is from? The size is approximately 36"x 42".
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Tim, thanks for posting that. Looks like it includes his helmet too. Pricey, but very cool.
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
That is a Road Racing Drivers Club (RRDC) decal on the front of this Bob Grossman helmet.  The RRDC is an organization whose members are elected by their peers, and to quote the RRDC's website:

'Their (RRDC's) mission as stated in the original by-laws was: “to improve the lot of the drivers in road racing and the conditions under which they compete”. They worked with track owners by recommending and supporting spectator barriers, runoff areas, modern pits, equipment standards and race control training. Another issue addressed was the unseamly idea of "amateur" drivers receiving compensation for their services. The club also worked to train new drivers as they entered and progressed through the sport.'

Bob Grossman served as president of the organization at one point, as did Mark Donohue.

Check out their gallery for some great photos of cars and drivers that members of this forum are sure to appreciate.

-Chad

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
Wow wonder if the Penske CST  truck survived?

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
AMC jacket

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
American Motors jacket

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
Here is a neat piece letters look black but they are actually silver.
Plate reads...

1968 Champions Trans Am Sedan Series United States Road Racing Series

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
That glass piece is really cool. I let Tom McIntyre know about it when it was on ebay since he has Donohue's '68 and Tom was able to purchase it from the seller.
Jon Mello
CRG

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
That glass piece is really cool. I let Tom McIntyre know about it when it was on ebay since he has Donohue's '68 and Tom was able to purchase it from the seller.

Are you sure  ;D

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Maybe there's more than one? Tom told me he bought it from the guy.
Jon Mello
CRG

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
I got it today.How long ago I checked his feedback and don't see another one purchased?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
It was last November. Congratulations on your purchase!
Jon Mello
CRG

Pickle

• View Profile
Poster from 1971 Donnybrooke:

Loud Pipes Save Lives

JoeC

• View Profile
I have a Dr Dick Thompson driving suit and helmet and it looks similar to the Bob Grossmen suit in the auction and the helmet has the same club logo on it

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
Those drivers uniforms are hensteeth Joe.Museum pieces.  ;D

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1966-1972 Trans-Am race memorabilia [dash plaques, patches, passes, etc]
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2011, 09:13:48 PM »
Passes from the 1967 and 1968 Bryar Trans-Am races, courtesy of Ron Lathrop.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:23:39 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »
Ron Lathrop's passes from the '69 Bryar Trans-Am.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:23:14 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2011, 05:14:16 AM »
Ron Lathrop's passes from the 1969 Wolverine Trans-Am and the 1970 Mid-Ohio and Road America Trans-Ams.

Jon Mello
CRG

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »
Ron

You are a walking piece of history my man.Thanks for sharing all of  this.

wrongwayron

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2011, 05:28:12 PM »
Thank you all for being able to appreciate my "back in the Day."  ::)
Actually I didn't do as mant Trans-Ams as I did Continental and Can-Am races.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2011, 07:03:45 PM »
"Actually I didn't do as man(y) Trans-Ams as I did Continental and Can-Am races."

Bummer. Too bad for us Trans-Am lovers...  :(
Jon Mello
CRG

royal67rs

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2011, 03:01:04 AM »
Here is a program from pacific raceway 1967

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2011, 06:25:11 PM »
A Parnelli Jones firesuit.

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »
more

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
Penske Sunoco 260 jacket like the one Mark Donohue wore.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
I believe these belonged to motorsports photographer Cameron Warren.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:09:18 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:59 PM »
Cameron Warren's pass to the 1967 Canadian Expo. Notice he is an accredited Autoweek contributor.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:27:11 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2011, 09:27:53 PM »

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2011, 04:31:48 PM »

Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2011, 08:04:10 AM »
From the 1968 Times Riverside GP program.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »
Jacket patches.

A Wolverine Trans-Am dash plaque.

An unused ticket to the Wolverine Trans-Am.

A 1969 Sears Point Trans-Am dash plaque.

A pass for the 1970 Riverside Trans-Am.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2011, 03:58:57 AM »
The Daytona 24-Hour race was an international endurance race which was not a part of the Trans-Am series. The only
exception to that was in 1968 when the Trans-Am cars were included and the race was actually part of the Trans-Am
schedule that year. This patch is from that 1968 era.

Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

yenkomark

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2011, 07:33:52 PM »
  I have not visited here recently , but am now catching up ! Just noticed the post on Bob Grossmans uniform from months ago. I work with Hinchman Racing Uniforms here in Indy , reviving their vintage suit designs for vintage racing, Gulf Oil, Goodyear ,Firestone , etc. I know Hinchman did suits foe nearly every driver since 1925 .

yenkomark

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »
 Forgot to mention , always look for the checkered flag patch on the shoulder, the Hinchman trademark. By the way , new owners of Gulf Oil in North America ,renewed permission for Hinchman to make Gulf Oil racing uniforms. We will soon have jackets , hats etc. available

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »
I have no connection to this but here's a link to the Hinchman website. http://www.hinchmanracewear.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=1515
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2012, 08:27:25 PM »

Craige Pelouze Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

y-bot

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »
Hello!  I cam across this forum after searching for info on a Modesto Trans-Am poster I have.  Here are some pics of the Trans-Am related posters I have:

1967 Newport Sand Prix

1966 Northwest Grand Prix

1968 Rose Cup

1967 Modesto Trans-Am

1972 Road America

Donnybrooke '71

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:17:03 AM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing those.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2012, 07:43:38 AM »
My stepdad's scrutineer (tech inspector) license from 1974. We were typically at every race at
Road America and Blackhawk Farms back in the 1970-1974 timeframe.

Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2012, 05:22:21 AM »
A couple of items courtesy of Tom McIntyre. Thank you, Tom!

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »
Some patches and race passes courtesy of Ken Ulrich. Thank you, Ken!

Ken used to work for Todco from '69-'71 and with RWR in 1972.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »
Sunoco Javelin promotional photo signed by Mark Donohue. Courtesy of Mike K (Swede70).
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »
Seldom seen entry forms for the '67 Las Vegas 350 Trans-Am race and the '68 Mission Bell 250 Trans-Am race.
This is what the car owner filled out to have his car entered in these particular races. Neat bits of racing history.

Bob Sanders Collection, courtesy of Robert Lodewyk
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2012, 03:28:02 AM »

Bob Sanders Collection, courtesy of Robert Lodewyk
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
This was the race that Dick Hoffman drove the Al Richards 67 camaro (my ex Mo Carter car) in with a camera mounted on the right front corner of the roof (incorrectly listed as a 68 in the starting grid).  He qualified a commendable 16th.

Also finishing 12th was long-time Corvette racer Andy Porterfield who finished 12th in a 68 camaro (a one-time early T/A effort).  Andy raced up and down the west coast for five decades, was twice SCCA National Corvette Champion, an SCCA executive, raced tube frame camaros in the eighties and nineties with SCCA and IMSA.  He also established a well known family business - Porterfirld Brake Products.  I raced against Andy at the at Westwood and Laguna Seca T/A races in 1980.

Sadlly, Andy passed away recently.  He was 80. Details on Andy's career are in the latest issue of Sports Car Digest.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for that recollection from the '69 Riverside Trans-Am, Robert. I had heard about the recent passing of Andy Porterfield and was sorry to hear the news. He was certainly a very capable driver and it was neat to see him enjoy (and be successful in) the hobby for so many years.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
Two tech inspection stickers from the 1971 and 1972 Road America Trans-Am races. (Jon Mello Collection)
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
1969 ad from Competition press & Autoweek. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »
Holley carburetors also had a version of this decal (see below).
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »
Memorabilia from the 1970 Dallas Trans-Am, cancelled due to excessive rain. These are from the Craig Wheeldon Collection.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:10:24 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
Sunoco racing jacket promotion from 1969. Anybody own one of these?
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »
I received this photo today from Steve Francis. His mom bought these two jackets for Steve and his dad at a
gas station in Indianapolis in 1969 or 1970 while they were in town for the time trials. Steve's mom sewed
the patches on while they were at the track. Many thanks to Steve for sharing this with us.

Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:29 AM »
Steve's family had a lots of cool cars "back in the day".  I think he told me that his Dad worked at a Rambler dealer?  Not certain on that....but he has owned a few Javelins....hence, the patch on the jacket in the rear.

klvn8r

javelin_gt

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2012, 09:42:07 PM »
Various Dash Plaques

javelin_gt

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
Random Stuff

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »
Thanks for signing up and for your recent posts.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2013, 02:03:56 AM »
The following ebay auction was pointed out to me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mark-Donohue-Jacket-AMC-Javelin-c-1970-71-Trans-Am-/290876951287?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item43b99e0af7

The seller, jrtpip, makes the following statement about the jacket... "Mark Donohue's Racing Jacket- Associated with the 1970-71 AMC's Javelin, Matador -AMC Racing Team. This jacket is presently held privately in the collection of a Donohue family member. It is documented. I have listed this for the family member.  The jacket dates to the Penske years of Mark's career -innovations and 1971Trans-Am Championship . It is truely a part of racing history. It is a nylon parka style jacket, Silk screened Mark Donohue  on the front  and Javelin on the back, shows some wear, fleece in the body.  It was worn by Mark and has grease stains."

The seller is also offering another jacket from earlier in Mark's racing career when he was running an Elva Courier.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Original pass worn by our own Mike Scott (group/7) at the 1969 St. Jovite Trans-Am race.

Michael Scott photo
Jon Mello
CRG

mike343sharpstick

• View Profile
The following ebay auction was pointed out to me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mark-Donohue-Jacket-AMC-Javelin-c-1970-71-Trans-Am-/290876951287?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item43b99e0af7

The seller, jrtpip, makes the following statement about the jacket... "Mark Donohue's Racing Jacket- Associated with the 1970-71 AMC's Javelin, Matador -AMC Racing Team. This jacket is presently held privately in the collection of a Donohue family member. It is documented. I have listed this for the family member.  The jacket dates to the Penske years of Mark's career -innovations and 1971Trans-Am Championship . It is truely a part of racing history. It is a nylon parka style jacket, Silk screened Mark Donohue  on the front  and Javelin on the back, shows some wear, fleece in the body.  It was worn by Mark and has grease stains."

The seller is also offering another jacket from earlier in Mark's racing career when he was running an Elva Courier.
This Jacket didn't sell, at the time of the auction I decided not to pursue this; I've been regretting that of late :)
I just sent the seller an EBay message to see if it's still available, I know this is a complete shot in the dark, but I had to give it a try. If anyone knows anything on this…
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:23:03 PM by mike343sharpstick »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I don't have any other info other than what I posted about the auction but good luck. Maybe it's still available.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Another Sunoco jacket ad, this time from 1970. (Jon Mello Collection)
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2013, 02:11:54 AM »
A little too early for the Trans-Am era but an interesting card from the RRDC signed by Mark Donohue in this ebay auction...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Racing-Drivers-Club-card-signed-by-Mark-Donohue-SCCA-/221270386428?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item3384be26fc
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
1967 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am program and spectator pass.

Jon Mello
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2014, 05:34:42 AM »
very cool cover. Did you just pick this up?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »
I have had the Mid-Ohio program for awhile. This was an image that I think I saved off an ebay auction because it showed the spectator pass.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2014, 04:36:34 AM »
Participant pit pass from the 1967 Kent 300 Trans-Am, courtesy of Frank Dihartce.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2015, 06:44:56 PM »
Some neat dash plaques for sale at the link below, and for a very reasonable price.

http://public.fotki.com/rocketwheels/vintage-racing-programs/vintage-racing-dash-1/

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »
For people who enjoy collecting autographs of some of their favorite race drivers, here's a nice opportunity...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-1970-Lime-Rock-Park-Trans-Am-SCCA-orig-program-signed-by-Peter-Revson-/301577328812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463768d8ac

UPDATE: Sold for $236.49
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:23:30 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2015, 12:47:26 AM »
Here's a very rare item I've never seen before - a poster for the '67 Las Vegas 350 Trans-Am race. Anything from this race is a particularly hard find, for those who are into collecting Trans-Am memorabilia.

http://r.ebay.com/9e0Jt7
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
As they say -  very cool!  I was a spectator at this race - on my way to CA.  Can-Am race was also this wknd.  On the Monday there was a Firestone test day at the
track with Mario driving, and I got a ride from the track to Las Vegas in a real 289 Shelby street Cobra

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
...and I got a ride from the track to Las Vegas in a real 289 Shelby street Cobra

With Mario driving?  ;D
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2015, 07:58:11 PM »
No, Mario was testing tires, and there was a guy watching who owned the Cobra, and he gave me the ride into town.

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2015, 10:38:13 PM »
Was just toying with you Robert, but you didn't take the bait...
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2015, 05:07:23 AM »
Correction, it wasn't Mario, but Parnelli who was testing tires, and the Can-Am race was not on the same wknd., but later

Robert

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2016, 03:04:54 AM »
this dash plaque from Bryar 1966, was up on the other guys forum (Shelby), wanting identification as to what race it might be from. on the plaque it has the SCCA logo. could this be from the Trans-Am race at Bryar, July 10th, 1966. if it was a regional, or other race, would such an item be produced ? it was on a Mustang that someone found recently. I don't have any other info on the history of that car at the moment.

Mike (group/7)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »
Without a month and day it is hard to say for sure but because it says Sedan Race and not something more all-encompassing like Governor's Cup or Spring Sprints, my hunch is that it probably was for the Trans-Am race that year.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2017, 03:58:21 AM »
1966 Bryar 250 Trans-Am memorabilia, courtesy of Geof Cawston (gcptc)
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2017, 04:01:40 AM »
More 1966 Bryar 250 Trans-Am memorabilia from the Geof Cawston Collection.
Jon Mello
CRG