CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 12:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
102347 Posts in 12080 Topics by 4664 Members
Latest Member: jjonesls1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  67 Manual Disc Master Cylinder Rebuild
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 67 Manual Disc Master Cylinder Rebuild  (Read 846 times)
twol78s

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2011, 03:22:18 AM »

The Master Cylinder in my '67 SS/RS Camaro has failed.   Rust in the bore caused the piston to no longer seal in the cylinder.
A local mechanic tried to hone it, but the rust scoring is too deep to clean up such that a rebuilt piston/seals will fix the problem.
Looks like I need someone to sleeve it.  Question is, who?  Anyone know someone that can do this right?  I've found a few places online (Karp's(CA) and Apple Hydraulics(NY)), but would appreciate info. from someone who has worked with a vendor before and had good work done.  Brakes are too important to have someone do a sub-standard job.  Some places advertise brass sleeves, with others using stainless steel.  Which is better?

Casting number is 5459467, 1" bore, with application code AD.
Ed Bertrand
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »

I've dealt with karp's a couple of times and have had no issues. I went with them because they use stainless, which is harder (and less susceptible to scoring) than brass.

Ed
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

I've sent master cylinders to White Post Restorations (www.whitepost.com) for decades, including several sets of irreplaceable and priceless Ferrari aluminum master and wheel cylinders, and have never had a problem with them.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: