Author Topic: Replacing igniton switch  (Read 11558 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Replacing igniton switch
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
I need to replace the ignition switch on my Z. It is located on top of the steering column which means that I have to lower or remove the steering column to access it. Anyone done this I hope?
Can I just lower the column without completely removing it? And can I do this without disconnecting the flexible coupling to the worm steering shaft? I have the manual and have been reviewing the steps there. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

IZRSSS

Re: Replacing igniton switch
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
Not sure if this will work for you but there is a good discussion on the topic here;

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119882

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 12:17:47 AM »
The ignition switch (electrical) can replaced by removing the dash trim beneath the column and removing the two nuts attaching the column to the dash.  Gently lower the column and let the steering wheel rest on the front seat.  Now you can access the screws attaching the switch.  Remove the screws, lift the switch off the actuator rod and unplug it.  Make sure you adjust the new switch before re-securing the column.

boston14
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:20:33 AM »
The ignition switch (electrical) can replaced by removing the dash trim beneath the column and removing the two nuts attaching the column to the dash.  Gently lower the column and let the steering wheel rest on the front seat.  Now you can access the screws attaching the switch.  Remove the screws, lift the switch off the actuator rod and unplug it.  Make sure you adjust the new switch before re-securing the column.

boston14

What he said.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »
Thanks very much for the insight.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:50:46 AM »

boston14

The adjustment is fore and aft, correct? So you adjust it so as the key is turned the actuating rod moves the switch into the corresponding 4 positions:  accessories, lock, on, then the cranking position.  Does that sound right?

Thanks again.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »
Reach under the dash and make sure the old switch is tight and the bolts have not come loose.  The switch should not move.

Place the key in the off position.

Installing the Switch

•1. Make sure the new ignition switch is in the off position. Some aftermarket switches will have a pin on the switch slider, close to the base of the switch, to lock it in the off position to ensure proper installment. Verify whether your new switch has this pin.

•2. Slide the new ignition switch into the actuating rod, making sure not to push the slider inside the switch.

•3. Set the new ignition switch in place on top of the steering column, and start the two mounting bolts by hand. Then tighten the mounting bolts using the ratchet and socket.  Do not over tighten the bolts.  I believe it's like 35 inch pounds max.

•4. Remove the pin (if the new switch came equipped with it) from the switch slider by hand or with pair of needle-nosed pliers.

•5. Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder; turn the key to make sure the rod is actuating the new ignition switch. Then turn the key back to the off position.

•6. Set the steering column in position against the dashboard frame, and start the mounting bolts by hand. Then tighten the mounting bolts using the wrench or ratchet and socket.

•7. Install the steering wheel column lower trim panel using a Phillips screwdriver.

•8. Attach the negative battery cable using the wrench.

•9. Start the engine to make sure the new ignition switch is operating properly.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:49:34 AM by WYKOFF69Z »
Captain John Wykoff

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:42:32 AM »
Great information John. What reference material did you use? I'd like to make it a part of my library.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »
Marty, I worked as an auto mechanic full time from 1975-1990, in 1990 I became a firefighter (24 on 48 off) and went part time as a mechanic.  In 2005 my daughter finished college and the shop owner I worked for retired so I brought my tool box home and retired as a mechanic.  I have several auto repair manuals for reference and when needed I use my good friend " GOOGLE".   ;)

1990-1996=firefighter  1996-2003=lieutenant   2003-2015=captain     2010 retired and in a 5 year DROP
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:04:43 PM by WYKOFF69Z »
Captain John Wykoff

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:23:15 PM »
Thanks for letting me know John. Nothing like experience...not to hijack this thread, but a while back I was given this shop manual by a good friend. It has excellent text and illustrations. Can you tell me how it ranks among other shop manuals?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
Motor's is one of the best.  Chilton's is good but sometimes there's a quicker way than what's listed in their steps. The Chassis Service Manual, Fisher Body Manual, and the AIM are must haves.
Captain John Wykoff

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »
Thanks John, that helps a lot. The new switch that I have is GM, and has a plastic insert that holds it in the off position. Just pulls out by hand. So I think I can leave it in when installing the switch with the key in the off position, and align it that way. Then after it's tightened up, double check the operation. Finally, reinstall the steering column.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »
Jimmy, you're very welcome.

I hope replacing the switch will fix your problem.  ;)
Captain John Wykoff

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »
Jimmy, you're very welcome.

I hope replacing the switch will fix your problem.  ;)

OK, I got the switch replaced. Wasn't all that bad. Now I'd like to replace some of the insulation located against the firewall/floorboard that's kind of buggered up. Can I get that a the local car parts place like NAPA? Or is that a Camaro catalog item?

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 06:26:25 PM »
It's available at most if not all the Camaro suppliers.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP