Author Topic: Thoughts on cleaning an intake.  (Read 8099 times)

mopar346

• View Profile
Thoughts on cleaning an intake.
« on: January 24, 2011, 02:46:34 AM »
I will be install a 116 intake in the next few weeks and I was wondering about cleaning it or leaving it alone. It isn't that dirt and would probably clean up well with soap water and maybe some carb cleaner. I have a good blaster so I could blast it. In the past I have blasted them and left them bare and they seem to oxidize over time, I have blasted and cleared but that seems to yellow over time. What your thoughts, should I jsut wash it best I can or blast and coat?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on cleaning an intake.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »
DO NOT blast it. It will alter the surface finish. The original plans sounds good with a cood cleaning and carb cleaner.

I have used a series of very light dusting coats of dull aluminum heat resistant rattle can and been happy with the results even if it is not 100% correct. It makes it easier to clean that way. If you are filling in the surface roughness when you spray, the coat is too thick. it needs time to flash off between coats.

-Mark.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »
Jerry states in another thread that his shop uses Prestone Brake cleaner on aluminum.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7378.0
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »
Thanks guys, any more thoughts or methods out there?

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
we blast with plastic media, it cleans up aluminum without pitting or removing material.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »
Would soda work as well as plastic ?
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Luwi67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 05:17:02 AM »
You could flash brighten with Zep-Alum. Use 10 parts water to 1 part brightener, spray on manifold and rinse off within 15 seconds. You can do this every time you want to deep clean the manifold. Caution if you leave it on to long, it will brighten the aluminum too much and it will look white.

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
How would you handle an Edelbrock endurashine finished intake.  Endurashine peels off if its exposed to gas or antifreeze.  Will media blasting be powerfull enough to take it down to bare aluminum?  P.S stay away from the endurashine finish....go with polished alum.  if you want bling.

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »
probably not.  i think the endurashine is some form of powder coat, submerge in some good carb cleaner it will come off the get it media blasted to finish cleaning.

anything