Author Topic: Fuel Line Removal 69 Coupe - How To  (Read 3136 times)

rockSS

• View Profile
Fuel Line Removal 69 Coupe - How To
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
I am replacing the 3/8" single fuel line (fuel pump to tank). Fuel tank is removed, disconnected at fuel pump, line fasteners removed; line is hanging loose ready for removal. I viewed related posts here on the subject and the AIM and Service Manual...but need help on the actual old line removal and install of new line. Bend and routing at passenger side subframe is the real challenge. How do I remove the fuel line? With the exception of the parking brake cabling, I do not want to loosen subframe bolts, remove fender, etc if at all possible. New line came with shipping bend. Do I leave the bend in the line and straighten during the installation? Sorry for what seems a basic procedure, but I need to get the old line out and new line installed with no damage. Thanks.   

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Line Removal 69 Coupe - How To
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
I replaced my 68 Camaro single line a few years ago.
With engine installed, without loosening any subframe bolts.
For me a few key points are, Flaten-straighten out the shipping bend per mfrs instructions, use the FLOOR and unwind the bend.
I took the hack saw approch for the old line removal and made short work of the rip out.
I jacked the car up on the passanger side VERY high and secure to give the most approach angle for hreading the new line thru the subframe to body gap at the front of the door, you need some height to work with when twisting and winding threading the turns of the line thru the narrow gap. I DID have to put a very slight installation bend while getting the front installed. I then massaged out the minimal installation bends to recover the correct as installed layout.
Take your time, I did it alone but another set of hands would have been VERY apprecieated,
WALK away when you get frustrated! Have a beer and come back to the task later.
Many have done this.
Steel line, I do not care for SS material lines and would not recommend them.

Jim W
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

rockSS

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Line Removal 69 Coupe - How To
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »
Jim W,

Your reply is spot on...exactly what I needed and wanted to hear. I did buy OE replacement steel vs SS. I was thinking about (and will do) the hack saw approach for the quickest removal. I will be doing the job solo as well, but will heed your advice and take my time (along with a few time outs). I anticipated having to correct a couple minor unintended bends at the front end during the install. Thanks much for the assist.

Rick  

anything