Author Topic: Trunk Pictures of 69' Z/28, Quartered??  (Read 17907 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: Trunk Pictures of 69' Z/28, Quartered??
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
I see that Charley. But you would have to hold the camera to the right more, then shoot at a more direct angle to see it. So it's not so straight back. Maybe shoot some more closer and angled. I would be curious to see ANYBODYS car of that area on one or both sides.....Danny

IZRSSS

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 11:15:30 PM »
Here is a pic of the right quarter panel you requested.

Even though others might disagree, I am going to have to take a stand on this one. Look at the area of your pic below the weld and to the right of the seam. That metal has been manipulated, pounded and distorted. This same seam is bellowed and/or thicker than a factory seam. There are also more signs of rust than in any other spot in this general area. Again...see if you can take a look inside the rear 1/4 behind the vinyl panel. Your answer should be quite clear.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:35:37 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:11:44 AM »
Caught a glimpse of this on another pic, so I went in for a closer look {GM Label}...right 1/4 panel.

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:46:06 AM »
I just looked at mine , it has that same looking thing its just a stain from water getting past the quarter window weatherstrip . feel inside you probably wont find a step like a panel would have .

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 02:25:43 AM »
I like the water stain thought. I'm too old to get my old eyes up there but will try my borescope camera tomorrow.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 12:33:04 AM »
Looked with the borescope and it is just one panel till about 1" from the door jamb area where there is a second layer. Open the door and remove the plastic vent and look thru that way. From the pics it looks to me like someone cheated in 1/4 panels on your car.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 12:48:49 AM »
Charley, that's what I figure also. I remembered taking some pictures in that area you are talking about, behind the vents. But all the window harware is in the way. But here they are for what it's worth.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:08 AM »
And a couple more. I don't remember what side is what. Maybe somebody can make heads or tails out of it.....Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »
And a couple more.......

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
here they are

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 01:13:41 AM »
Why do you think that white water line, which my car has also, is a lap? I've owned my car for 27 years and put one GM quarter on it myself.

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 01:17:40 AM »
Here is a picture that might help for reference, prior to quarter going back on and without the outer wheel well.

Jerry K.

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 01:31:15 AM »
That second layer  Charley is talking about is the door striker reinforcement seen in Jerry's picture in front of the rusty tube on the right of the picture .

IZRSSS

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 01:35:36 AM »
Why do you think that white water line, which my car has also, is a lap? I've owned my car for 27 years and put one GM quarter on it myself.

Just speaking for myself...it is much easier to say lap and/or seam rather than, "reinforcement, bonded with structural adhesive". Although thanks to John for chiming in so that we "ALL" know what it is. This is beside the point. Danny's concern is wether or not the quarter has been replaced. He is also concerned there could be much more serious issues at play.

I contend that the quarter has been replaced because of the irregularities of his pic as apposed to others. There is also the issue of the "weld" at the top of his pic#113 which no one has addressed. Is this a result of the 1/4 being replaced or is it simply an anchor to the support ASM? In addition, I don't think a water mark can lift the metal an 1/8" which appears to be the case towards the bottom of Danny's pic.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 02:08:30 AM »
All Danny's pictures are the same car correct? That 1/8" so called gap is right where the rust spot is. If that's what is being talked about. JPEG 232 and 113 show that spot and it's not a gap. 41 years later and rust is no surprize. It is beiong stated there is a lap where the line is. If it's been lapped where is the evidence of heat discoloration from welding, or screws if they used panel bond, or panel bond squeeze out. Exactly what that spot is that some think is a weld I cannot see clearly enough to tell. But there is another reinforcment at the quarter window right at the origin of the white line. Most people don't even know there is one unless they've been into these cars before.

anything