Author Topic: Trunk Pictures of 69' Z/28, Quartered??  (Read 17905 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Trunk Pictures of 69' Z/28, Quartered??
« on: February 20, 2011, 04:27:07 AM »
I took some pictures of the trunk inside a 69' Z/28 I am looking at. So what is that white line. Is it a line showing sheet metal replaced? Does it look like a partial piece was put in? The drivers side looks less prominent right?...Danny

mopar346

• View Profile
Re: Trunk Pictures of 69' Z/28, Quartered??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
KInda looks like it, but it would be an amazingly clean and even butt weld if it was, so I doubt it. Should be abale to tell in person fairly easily.

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
Your pretty handy with the camera...that is one tough spot to get a pic from. The only place that looks suspicious is what appears to be a spot weld at the top of the seam. Other than that, the color and/or aging on both sides of the seam look pretty consistant. Not sure if it helps but here is another pic of that same area.

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
Studying what Marty said, it appears it maybe the lap of the factory metals the door jamb is made of several layers of sheet metal I believe and this may just be where the inner piece stops. I will dobt check my quarters for this line.

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
If you magnify the spot weld its clear that it was ground down. I don't think the factory would have gone through that trouble...

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
Just looked at mine, the seam is there and I know my quarters are original. Although it is too far back to be from the jamb, probably more rear window regulator area, but definitely an overlay of sheet metal from the factory. As Marty pointed out it could have been replaced and welded back, but the line should be there from what I saw.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 07:06:24 PM »
Thanx Guys, Yes the drivers side picture ya posted looks pretty similar to the drivers side in the picture I posted. And how could the light rusting/primer area be SO Consistent on both sides of that seam? It's just less than an inch away on BOTH sides. How could that be? It looks so normal and original. And how could you grind that down without the grinding wheel drifting? Hech the wheel during contact is about what that seam is...... Here are a couple more pictures. Maybe Kurt or one of the guys can combine the pictures. Keep the opinions coming as I am dieing to know, AND to learn what it should look like. And where that seam IS on the outside of the car......Danny

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »
Spot weld grinding...Just one guys opinion Danny...nothing more {BTW, I am only referring to the top of the seam in your pic...see the Spot-Weld ?} Bet some guys wish that was all they had to be concerned with...no biggie IMO.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:04:28 PM by IZRSSS »

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
And where that seam IS on the outside of the car......Danny
[/quote]

I don't believe there is an outside seam, its just where the inner panel stops. The outer panel is originally a continuous panel with a lip into the door jamb. We have the pictures you and Marty posted as well as mine all virtually exact, highly unlikely three different cars done identically after the factory. Where the my 2 cents icon????

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 05:53:34 AM »
Well Guys, I really don't know what to think. I sent the pictures to a friend of mine and this is his reply. Maybe he is right, or wrong?

Affirmative. Its been quartered. But before walking away, determine why. Inspect the rail for signs of rear collision damage, if there is none, perhaps negotiate a price favorable to allow future replacement of the quarter?

So he seems to think it's been quartered. I am lost now for sure ??? ??? ??? ???.......................Danny

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
I believe it to be too clean, although it is possible. If it was it was a long time ago, judging from the uniformity of both pieces of metal as Marty pointed out. AND then you have to discount that that car, the car Marty posted and my car were all quartered in the same exact place in the same exact way and as clean and long ago, not to mention I am 99.99% sure mine are original and they are identical. Maybe others will chime in today that know for sure both I contend it is a factory overlay of an inner panel of sheet metal.

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 02:30:14 PM »
Danny,

Will the owner of this car let you remove the rear seat and left rear passenger vinyl panel? You can probably determine how much damage if any was done by a close inspection of these areas. If there is still doubt...post pics of these areas and the trained eyes of the guys on this site can lead you down the right road. The more pics the merrier.

In addition, is the guy your dealing with the original owner? If not, does he have the names and contact info for previous owners? Maybe they can shed some light on the subject.

Something else I might add...if you look at your pic and then mine. Yours has gray primer in and around the seam where as mine does not. In fact, the only other color in mine is trunk spatter...for whatever thats worth.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:11:39 PM by IZRSSS »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »
Don't over-think this thing - it's a reinforcement, bonded with structural adhesive, to the forward end of the inside of the outer quarter panel, similar to the bonded reinforcements just forward of the front corners of the trunk lid opening. Photo below of mine - the body is all-original, has never been touched, and if you look closely you can just see the edge of the reinforcement.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 07:07:27 PM »
JohnZ, I have to say I did see a slight seam in your picture. However, your light surface primer and such is VERY consisdent accross that area with NO break. You can hardly see yours. Where as mine on the passenger side has a clear white line, with primer missing from both sides of it. Beleive me, I don't doubt all of your knowledge as most everyone on here forgot more then I. And you have helped me more than once. BUT, I gotta say I'm still scared until I see several pictures of 100% original cars, WITH somewhat of a prominent line. I also noticed on the outside of the car, a repair RIGHT IN THAT AREA. They didn't do a perfect job on the body work. That looks like the only spot on the whole car. I crawled all over that baby. Now the one side looks to be ok, and very similar to all of the pictures posted. But that other side is just to clean of a line for me. Thank you all for your time as always.

To answer some other q's... Car is 2 or 3 thousand miles or so away. I seen it while on vacation. Owner is probably 5th or 6th in line of ownership, and no contact info from prev. owners available. .......Danny   

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »
I have a 29K mile 69 that has the same seam but hard to see in pics.