Author Topic: Tires {F70x14}  (Read 12016 times)

IZRSSS

Tires {F70x14}
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »
I know this topic has been beat to death but I'm still confused. There was a thread a while back that discussed these tires. A comment was made that the F70-14 fiberglass belted RWL option wasn't available until April 1, 1969. I am assuming this is the tire with the raised with letters "F70-14". Can someone please tell me which of the two tires in the pics below would be correct for a 12A {Dec. '68} built car? Kelsey tire suggests it is the one w/o the F70-14 printed on the side. Problem is, this is the first time I have ever seen a Camaro tire w/o the F70-14 printed on the side.

Please offer some advise. I need to pick up a set pretty quick.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:27:59 PM by IZRSSS »

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tires {F70x14}
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:55:23 AM »
Vintage photos show a Z11 with WIDE TREAD GT; a Car Life road test of a 396 SS w/ducted hood shows WIDE TREAD F70 x 14. Uniroyal and Firestone also supplied F70 x 14 tires. These were not fiberglass belted.

Very very few, if any, '69 Camaros had Goodyear Polyglas tires. There is a survivor '69 with a Polyglas spare but no paperwork to show the car had been ordered with PL4. OE tires were crap in those days; bald in 20,000 miles. Many people swapped them out immediately. There is a survivor COPO with paperwork showing PL4 and it has Firestones.

I would put either WIDE TREAD GT or WIDE TREAD F70 X 14 tires on it. Polyglas would not be correct for a Dec '68 build. Style points to you for putting period correct tires on it. Modern tires ruin the look of a vintage musclecar.
Learning more and more about less and less...

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:49:07 AM »
Thank you Bill...Wide Tread F70 X 14's it is.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »
I will bet your tires look like that in response to what the supplier used to do. I've seen those tires deflashed with a DA, mangling the lettering.

You should be able to get that off with a small knife. Keep complaining and the tires will get discontiinued.

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »
Bill,

Fine, I pulled my statement prior to yours because obviously it should not have been made. I'll use whatever means necessary to remove the "flash"...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:33:32 PM by IZRSSS »

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:45 AM »
Since my comment seems to have struck a nerve some history is in order.

I worked for a Camaro parts business for many years. Many repro parts require "massaging" to look and fit properly. Some of the worst quality parts I recall were supplied by GMPD. By the '90s the tooling was worn and much of it just didn't fit or look good. We returned many Chevelle ducted hoods, '67 Camaro LH fenders, '69 LH coupe quarters. For some time '69 rear bumpers were missing a mounting hole. Some emblems were just plain junk; bent, full of casting flash or painted incorrectly. Careful buying "NOS" off ebay.

Repro Goodyear tires have generated some complaints over the years. As I remember, most of them concerned the appearance of the lettering. To remove the black molding flash from the white lettering the supplier used a grinder. The results were horrible. The lettering was uneven, sometimes nearly flush with the surface of the tire. I'm sure Kelsey took a few of those back and passed the complaints along to the supplier. To their credit the supplier responded and no longer grinds the lettering. But there is a bit of flash remaining.

If the supplier continues to have returns they may conclude the product isn't worth the bother. We all lose.

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 01:47:24 AM »
This was the first time I ever ordered period correct tires and did not know there was a history of complaints ranging from grinding letters to letters almost flush with the surface. I have however ordered multitudes of passenger tires, both with and without raised lettering. These tires always looked great in every respect. I just don't understand why Vintage tires can't be produced to these same standards. Perhaps part of the problem stems from re-pop suppliers trying to cover a full spectrum of classic tires and quality control gets lost in the mix. Another point is these tires come at a premium...just under a grand with shipping.

Another issue besides the flash which I have already removed, half the letters barely rise above the surface of the tire. Again, I understand what you are saying but as a consumer I think these are all legitimate concerns. In all fairness to the company I purchased these from, maybe I just received a bad batch. However, if you can, please give some insight into how these Vintage tires are reproduced, and how their process differentiates from mass produced passenger tires. Perhaps then I can better appreciate the end product.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:26:17 AM by IZRSSS »

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 03:36:40 AM »
Your concerns are cosmetic. They have to first devote their limited resources to producing a tire that is functionally safe to use.

How the lettering looks is determined by a number of factors: design and wear of tooling, presses, equipment. It could be what you have is all their process is capable of. 

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:33:06 AM »
I've owned more first gen Camaro's than I can count and have never found one with a orig. Polyglas tire.

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 08:07:52 AM »
Marty, I can tell you how a bias tire is made compared to a modern radial, if that what you're asking.
I used to work at South Pacific Tyres here in Australia. We made Goodyear, Dunlop and Olympic brands. My job was screening tires for the OEs on a "Force Variation Machine".
I'm assuming Coker and Kelsey are still doing it the same way. I know their moulds are still the same clam-shell design anyway. Not much else has changed.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »
Vintage photos show a Z11 with WIDE TREAD GT; a Car Life road test of a 396 SS w/ducted hood shows WIDE TREAD F70 x 14. Uniroyal and Firestone also supplied F70 x 14 tires. These were not fiberglass belted.

Very very few, if any, '69 Camaros had Goodyear Polyglas tires. There is a survivor '69 with a Polyglas spare but no paperwork to show the car had been ordered with PL4. OE tires were crap in those days; bald in 20,000 miles. Many people swapped them out immediately. There is a survivor COPO with paperwork showing PL4 and it has Firestones.

I would put either WIDE TREAD GT or WIDE TREAD F70 X 14 tires on it. Polyglas would not be correct for a Dec '68 build. Style points to you for putting period correct tires on it. Modern tires ruin the look of a vintage musclecar.

William
my 69 SS 06A had a polyglas spare - on a note - never try using 25 year old tire as a spare
Chris
Chris
69 SS 350

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
My 68 convertible has a full set of F70-14 Polyglas tires that my father put on the car back in the 70's.  I even have a pair of Polyglas studded snow tires!  All the lettering looks very consistent as far as height goes.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
The tire company I am dealing with has contacted me promptly and is doing everything in their power to resolve the issue. The mistake I made was presenting this in an open forum. I can see why Members are so hesitant to offer advise with regards to sources. I should have dealt with the supplier and/or vendor and never posted information that should have remained private.

This incident in no way shape or form is a reflection of the outstanding products this company is known for. My apologies is I offended anyone...

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
I just hope they don't pull'em off the market. I want a set to put on with dog dish caps for shows later on.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »
Follow up...

Just a note to say thank you to John Kelsey and Peggy from Kelsey Tire, Inc. These two individuals are what each and every one of us as individual consumers hope for. They stand by their products and most importantly...stand by their word! This unique trait in this day and age is extremely hard to come by. Their products are second to none and this experience has landed them a customer for life.

Thank you John & Peggy for your hard work & dedication to your customers...and to Willaim for leading me to this exceptional company!

anything