Author Topic: Power Feed wire on firewall.  (Read 6958 times)

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
Power Feed wire on firewall.
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:45:13 AM »

In a previous post one of our members (boston15) posted the picture at the URL below. The picture shows the vacuum lines that go to the head light switch for an RS model. Just bellow the vacuum line grommet there is a red wire. (It is some kind of a power feed).  What is this for?

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7540.0;attach=6057;image

I have an RS Convertible and the power feed I have is an orange and black wire that comes from the circuit breaker. But my orange and black wire feeds into the dash at a spot just below the fuse box. I cannot figure out what the red wire is in this picture. My car does have a hole at this spot. Am I missing something?

Is it possible this wire is the power feed for a car that has power windows?

Vic

Vic Brincat
1968 Camaro RS Convertible - 327

Boston14

• View Profile
Re: Power Feed wire on firewall.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:10:49 AM »
Vic,
  The power lead in question is for my power convertible top and was detached from the circuit breaker on the firewall when that picture was taken.  I don't have power windows so I don't know if they (power windows) use the same lead.  My car is an early 11D 1969 Norwood car.

boston14
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:06 AM »
Thanks boston14.

So the first thing is that mine is a '68. I'm wondering if '68 Conv owners can tell us which hole the  power wire coming from the circuit breaker goes through? Is it a red wire that goes through the hole just above the fuse box (like boston's 69) or is it supposed to be an orange and black wire that goes from the breaker into a hole just below the fuse box (like the one in my car). I'm not sure if mine was "tampered" with...can anyone validate which is correct for '68.

Thanks!!

Vic Brincat

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:47:15 PM »
Vic, it's very confusing because options aren't included in section 12 (wiring diagrams) of the AIM. But going by the Fisher Body manual and the A31 and C06 option pages in the AIM (and my car which has both options), here's the breakdown as far as I can figure it out. (look at the pictures for reference)

A (hot) Red wire (#10 below) comes from the Horn Relay and goes to the Circuit Breaker mounted to the firewall. Another (hot) Red wire (#10 below) comes from the other side of the Circuit Breaker and goes through the firewall into the cabin. That red wire then splits and goes to the Power Top switch and the orange/black wire connector (#14 below) in the wiring harness taped up under the dash for the Power Window Ignition Relay. In addition, a Pink wire from the harness (#11 below) also comes from the Accessories port on the fuse box to the Power Window Ignition Relay.

Ed

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:36:40 PM by bertfam »

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
Thanks Ed.

You're right, it is confusing. Now my car has everything you described but with one difference...the red wire you described as #10 is a single (non split) orange and black wire. My car does not have power windows so...no pink wire to split off.
The diagrams shows that the number 10 wire enters the cabin at the side of the fuse panel.....strange....there is no hole there.

I am going to assume that the  red power feed wire from the CB goes into the cabin using the upper hole (shown in boston14's picture) and I will run that directly to the power top switch. I will assume that is right until someone tells me otherwise.

Thanks for your help Ed and boston14.

Vic
Vic Brincat

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »
Vic, the picture posted by boston14 is the correct location where the feed wire from the circuit breaker enters the cabin. Also note that the drawings in the AIM aren't always "location accurate" so take that into account. The A31 page I posted above, where it appears the wire enters the cabin next to the fuse panel, is a perfect example of this. Always go by the body piercing page in the AIM.

Ed

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »
Got it! Thanks, Ed.

Vic
Vic Brincat