Author Topic: NOS  (Read 9550 times)

pjbizjak

• View Profile
NOS
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »
What is the true meaning of NOS? New old stock? New over seas? Other?

rodent

• View Profile
Re: NOS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
New Old Stock
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
Actually I think it means poor casting, poor plating, and poor painting but still in the GM blue and white box.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »
You may also hear new original stock or new obsolete stock used.  New old stock is the more common term though.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »
Actually I think it means poor casting, poor plating, and poor painting but still in the GM blue and white box.
You could add drug around flea markets for 30 years too.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:41:22 PM »
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

babaron

• 1969 L78 convertble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »
Wouldn't "New Original Stock" be more appropriate and less contradictory?
Enjoy Life!

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »
No.  It was supposed to be stuff that was made in the past, hence "old stock".  But not used "new".
68Z28

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
One of the most broadly defined terms around. Dealers refer to currently available GM parts as NOS. They may have been manufactured last month.

Years ago when we had the Camaro business I was working on a trade that was to include an "NOS" '67 Chevelle blinker tach, a big deal at the time. I mentioned that it would have to be checked to ensure it worked. The guy tells me it has been in his car for 6 months, works fine. I pointed out that it was now a used tach and he says "Nope, still have the box." 
Learning more and more about less and less...

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
I think the intention and/or by definition, NOS refers to items or goods produced back in the day that were never sold. The problem is that companies are now using this term to peddle their goods hoping that buyers won't identify with their false advertising. Another problem is that it works...I've fallen victim but I've learned from my mistakes, especially when it deals in $$$.

Sorry Bill...we posted at the same time...liked yours better.  ;)

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 12:19:25 AM »
Nitrous Oxide Systems! Spray the crap out of it.

New Old Stock, old or obselent stock that dealers and parts depots at one time were begging to get rid of and now is what a mint. After it quit moving at retail or became discontinued they were dying to unload the stuff.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »

And you'll be huntin' another rear end too.  LOL
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »
New Old Stock, old or obselent stock that dealers and parts depots at one time were begging to get rid of and now is what a mint. After it quit moving at retail or became discontinued they were dying to unload the stuff.

The owner of the business was a former Chevrolet dealer so of course he knew lots of dealers. Much of the NOS around is junk. We once bought maybe a hundred boxes of NOS Chevy floor mats from a local stash. Mostly full-size bench-seat mats in red, blue, green; obviously picked through. Still worth the $5/box but lots of heavy lifting. Later on he cooked up a deal with a traveling GM service rep. This guy would be at 2-3 dealers every week and would buy all the non-returnable parts he could find. More junk: '73-'77 bumper guards, tie rod ends, odd exhaust parts, take-off manual steering gears. We must have had 50 diverter valves, none for HP engines. We had cases of recall engine mount cable kits. Lots of switches: headlamp, wipers, ignition.

So if you hear of a pile, tread cautiously. Probably picked several times by guys that know more than you. Lots of people chasing the stuff for years. They all fantasize about the holy grail of NOS: a Chevy dealer that closed in '69 and hasn't been touched since-still a car on the showroom floor. It will go down someday and make headlines. Don't ask.
Learning more and more about less and less...

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 02:36:56 AM »

And you'll be huntin' another rear end too.  LOL

I thought that was the goal, besides I know a guy.

One of my partners dad had a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge dealership from the early 60s through the mid 70s. When they closed it he toke the parts department to his warehouse. One day I am going to get in there and have a blast.

anything