Author Topic: 68 shoulder harness  (Read 12226 times)

chv grrl

• View Profile
68 shoulder harness
« on: October 31, 2005, 05:15:55 PM »
From the VIN is looks as if my 68 was built the first week of April. It doesn't have shoulder harnesses. It is my understanding that they were required starting in January 1968. Am I wrong? Also, any suggestions as to where I can locate a shoulder harness kit? It will be my every day car and I'll feel a bit safer with more than just a lap belt. Under the headliner I feel a plate that seems to be where a harness would attach.

327, 210, Powerglide, column shift, originally owned by a little old lady from Fresno.

Jimsl78

• View Profile
Re: 68 shoulder harness
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 01:11:10 AM »
The areas for the belt holder clips are raised to be against the inside of the headliner,as is the harness bracket mount area.
You should be able to feel the holes under the headlinerfor the 2 harness bracket bolts and the 4 screws for the clips
Perhaps a previous owner replaced the headliner and didn't put the belts back.
I think in earlier cars that were shoulder belt optioned, came with belts that were just hanged by the sides.

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 04:15:56 AM »
Wow ure 68 was buil in the firt week of april...mine to...is that it in the pic?
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

chv grrl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:09:09 PM »
Yep, that's it in the photo. It was built in Van Nuys.

furor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 03:55:34 PM »
From the VIN is looks as if my 68 was built the first week of April. It doesn't have shoulder harnesses. It is my understanding that they were required starting in January 1968. Am I wrong?

Does anyone know when the shoulder harness was required? My 68 Z28 was built the 4th week of February and it looks like it has the original headliner but there are no shoulder belts. Were the shoulder harnesses required on all 68 camaro's after January 1968 or were they optional? I'm restoring my car right now and I need to know if I should put these on or not.
Thanks,
Mike

Jimsl78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 09:43:51 PM »
From the VIN is looks as if my 68 was built the first week of April. It doesn't have shoulder harnesses. It is my understanding that they were required starting in January 1968. Am I wrong?

Does anyone know when the shoulder harness was required? My 68 Z28 was built the 4th week of February and it looks like it has the original headliner but there are no shoulder belts. Were the shoulder harnesses required on all 68 camaro's after January 1968 or were they optional? I'm restoring my car right now and I need to know if I should put these on or not.
Thanks,
Mike
You can always put them in later, if your replacing the headliner it will become be obvious whether it once had them by looking at the screw holes for the clips (self tapping screws)
My car came with them but I opted to leave them out after doing the headliner. (At least for now)
If you get pulled over, will you be wearing the complete seat belt assy?

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 04:14:43 AM »
H ...mine was a norwood car..man i were hopin we could trade some info..mabye we still can. Weel see
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 01:32:49 PM »
H ...mine was a norwood car..man i were hopin we could trade some info..mabye we still can. Weel see
   ...I've got a Norwood built, ...04C '68, ...with the shoulder harness. What info. are you looking for?

Kevin

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 09:37:14 PM »
i have a 68 built in norwood late in the model year.  it has the shoulder belt handing up on the headliner but i have no lap belts or any other belts with the front seat.  Did they attatch to the tranny tunnel or the rear of the seat mounting holes closest to the tranny tunnel?
thanks
matt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 04:04:29 AM »
I have shoulder straps in my 68.  I'm not sure what month they were put in though.  These shoulder straps suck!  The first and last time i used them i took it off in order to turn the channel on my radio (because they don't slack). it flew out the window (because it was down) and the metal clip slammed against the side of the car multiple times scratching the side of the car before i could pull it back in.  If you use these straps make damn sure your window is up or face the consequeces.

buds396

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 06:22:06 PM »
I believe shoulder belts where installed starting January 9, 1968.   I also, have been told it required delux interior. But I have seen orginial cars without delux interior that were built around that date the had shoulder belts.

My 68 was built the fourth week of January and they have them.
1968 RS/SS L78
Reading, Pa.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 09:52:56 PM »
Some local law enforcement officers are not clear about this.
My 68 was built in December of 1967 and does not have shoulder belts.
I carry a copy of my state's statute in my car.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director