Author Topic: Front Bumper Guard Install  (Read 12583 times)

IZRSSS

Front Bumper Guard Install
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
AIM isn't clear on the exact location for the front bumper guards. Is it safe to assume the guard should be positioned flushed against the spot I have indicated by the red arrow and then simply use the hole of the lower bracket as the template?

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Front Bumper Guard Install
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
I'm assuming you have the clamp in place on top of the bumper? If you do it should fit up against the bumper snugly and should be snug against the lower valance.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »
That part I'm clear on. My question concerns the guards position left & right
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:52:33 AM by IZRSSS »

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:41:46 PM »
OK You are talking about the tear drop on the bumper. It should fit close to it but not jammed up.
Daniel  

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
There isn't a lot of room for error when you consider where the tear drop is in relationship to the valance light. Makes sense to have it close to the TD...thanks Dan

If anyone can post a head-on pick of theirs I'd appreciate it...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:30:47 AM by IZRSSS »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
The lower attaching holes on V31 units were fixture-pierced in the valance panel before it was painted, and an apply fixture was clamped to the center of the bumper bar that established the spacing of both guards from centerline when the guards were assembled to the bumper and valance panel.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
I think you know what's coming next...any clue as to the length of the fixture? I searched for the pierced spots in the valance but evidently these were taken out when the car was painted.

Thanks John

copo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »
I checked my 69 NOS front bumper guard kit, instructions show the template from the center line of bumper to the inside edge of the bumper guard is 7 inches.

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
I appreciate your measurements but if they are correct I must have the wrong bumper. As you can see by the pic the tear-drop doesn't allow me to place it at 7". The AIM also has the placement of the guards right and left of the tear-drops which is well beyond 7". Or...is it possible the guards straddle the tear-drops?

Thanks Copo!

Any ideas Kurt? Something tells me you might know this one. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:47:00 AM by IZRSSS »

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:06:50 AM »
Marty look at the page you have referenced. The picture on the right side of the page shows a 13/32 hole for the bolt. It also shows 7.85" from center line of valance panel for center of the hole. Lay it out like that and see what you get.
Daniel  

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:22:41 AM »
It places it right on the tear-drop...the only thing that makes sense would be to straddle it. If you go left it interferes with the plate, if you go right it gets awfully close to the valance light. Its difficult to tell from the AIM because its at an angle but even there it appears to straddle it. ???

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »
Does the guard cut out that fits on the bumper have a big cut out for the outside and a smaller cut out for the inside. The bumper is thicker on the outside of the tear drop. It's been a while since I worked on one and I might be thinking of another bumper guard.
Daniel  

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 12:39:15 AM »
Not sure...the B-guards are due in sometime tomarrow. Just trying to get a headstart so I'm not twiddling my thumbs when they arrive.

Strange that you would mention this, I was wondering the same exact thing.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 12:47:07 AM »
Marty do you have Jerry's book? It has a couple of pics in it and it shows they cover the tear drops. Look on the back cover at the Green car and on page 35 and 45. Get your BIG magnifying glass out and you can plainly see they cover the tear drop.
Daniel  

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »
Jerry's books, like the bumper guards are due in any day now. I'll take your word for it. GREAT NEWS DAN...THANKS!
The icing on the cake will be if the inside and outside diameters of the guards are different...