Author Topic: Special Rare Air Induction?  (Read 13533 times)

Vetteman61

• View Profile
Special Rare Air Induction?
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:10:48 AM »
Hello,

I found the CRG website and was blown away by the wealth of information.  It's amazing.

I have a '67 Camaro I, in a way, inherited.  When I got it there was a hole in the passenger side firewall that lead directly into the cavity below the cowl vent.  I was told that it had been put there to mimic a type of rare induction.  My car didn't come with it of course.  I was told that originally, if a car came with it, there would be an enclosure around the air filter and a tube that would lead over to the hole in the firewall.  Essentially, it would give the car cowl induction through the vents in the cowl.

I've never seen or heard of this and I assumed if it were real I would have found it somewhere on the CRG website.  I doubt it's true, but I'd like to make sure.  Can anyone verify this to have been true?  I suppose it could have been offered on 67-69 for all I know?

Thanks,
 Brandon

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: Special Rare Air Induction?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:23:12 AM »
you are referring to the cowl plenum air cleaner for the 67-8 z-28. i dont have any pics handy but if you google cowl plenum air cleaner you should find pics. try jerry's website www.z28camaro.com. click on our camaros and look at jerry's unrestored white z-28. it has cowl plenum.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:27:58 AM »
Yeah!  That's it!  That perfectly matches the hole that was in my firewall (now patched with new metal), and perfectly fits what was described to me.  Thanks a lot for this info.  I never had a clue how to search for this and although the source that told me this was one of the most knowledgeable guys on Camaros around, I heard it over 10 years ago and I've never heard of it since, nor have I ever seen one (until just now).  I was beginning to think maybe I had imagined it.

Thanks,
Brandon

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:30:27 AM »
You might also read this link.

http://taperfresto.com/cowl_plenum_a_c.html
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:31:13 AM »
Brandon, it's true!  It's called a cowl plenum air cleaner and looks like the attached photos...

Paul

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:27:08 AM »
Wow, that thing is EXPENSIVE.  So much for ever getting one of those.

Thanks for the pictures.  They look pretty awesome.  Since my car had that hole, I can only assume that at one time, someone had put one on it.  I sure wish they'd LEFT it on it.  hehe.

Brandon

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:34:01 AM »
What's the cowl tag say?
Kurt S
CRG

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:39:02 AM »
I've looked before but I can't remember specifically.  I remember that it was a factory RS/SS 4 speed that was turquoise with a deluxe interior, so I don't think it could have possibly come with it. I can check the tag tomorrow if anyone thinks it could somehow be possible.  It's in pretty rough shape now, but it's fun to tool around in and not have to worry about parking in the wal mart parking lot.

Brandon

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:06 AM »
Send me the VIN and a pic of the tag and let's confirm what it was originally. :)
Kurt S
CRG

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Brandon you should get one of Jerrys 67-68 Camaro Z-28 fact books. This is the bible on these Camaros for that year. I bought all these from Jerry, 69Z8- SS-BB Camaros, 67-68 Z28. Jerry is the man. He is the guy who knows these cars. Also this forum has plenty of very good experts too.

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
that second pic is my car.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
Post photos of the hole too.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 05:55:26 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.  I took some pictures of the cowl tag.  As I mentioned, the hole was patched with metal about 12 years ago, but I took a picture of where it was anyway. 

I typically close the headlights, but i was dark and cold when I last came in.  I have my trusty coat hanger and a perfectly sized stick for the left and right side to keep them open and closed.  Classy, I know.

A little side info:  That license plate is from my dad's now closed dealership.  He'd been a GM dealer for 33 years.  GM came in, closed him up and then decided not to pay us a fairly large sum of money they owe us.  We wrote letters and their game is essentially to wait us out in court until we go broke, so we're pretty much out of luck.  On top of that, the local government (the county) decided to put a "judicial center" on top of where our building was right off of the square.  Despite having 2 other already purchased properties, the members of the board ALSO closed us down.  Our building had been there since the 20s, and had been a horse stable before that from before the civil war era. (There was still a basement where moonshine had been made during prohibition).  Since we rented the building, we got nothing in return and GM wouldn't allow us to rebuild in the city (even if they hadn't already been closing us down).  The city council didn't care and closed us down, and now complain there aren't enough tax dollars for the city.  It was a small town.  Every single board member was not re-elected this term.  Hehehe.  Sorry for the rant, I'm still legitimately bitter about the whole deal.  I still love old GM products though!

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
is 12E too early for one of the first 4P z28s . Jon mellow  or jerry would know  I'd be looking a little closer at the car

FinnRS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
Jerry's book tells me that the first 17 Z/28s were indeed built the last week of December 1966. Looks like the car came with a 4-speed from the factory as well..

What drivetrain does the car currently have? Does it have front disc brakes?