Author Topic: "837" Alternator  (Read 16278 times)

auggie302

• View Profile
"837" Alternator
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »
Hi,

Was wondering if I could get an opinion on this alternator listed on ebay?  Some of these ads make a lot of claims.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250769342016&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Thanks,
Auggie

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: "837" Alternator
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:54 AM »
I doubt it - but I'm no expert...

Check out the link below for a discussion about another 837 recently over on SYC site. They seem know, and comment readily about the style of the 7's used on that stamping being wrong - while this one you have posted appears to have one of the 7's the same style - but the second 7 stamped looks all together different again, at least to me...

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=442251#Post442251

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:23:28 AM »
Auggie,

Contact Jerry MacNeish to verify if his shop restored the unit.  Jerry should have records when it was restored and who the customer was.  Based on the pictures, it look good and complete with correct date coded diodes, fan and pulley. 

If it is legit, and you can get it for $1000 or less, that is a good deal for an 837.

Good luck with your project.

Dave

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
That alternator is real as rain, I have several on that date with the same anomalies.  Is anyone stating that it is not real.  If so they need to go back to alternator school.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
Oh,

Here's another........I have several on that date! 

I probably have more original stampings for components than anyone as I created a data base on parts many years ago from on-site inspections and parts that come to us for restoration.  Call or e-mail me for any questions.  If I didn't see these anomalies on this date, I would be concerned.

CRG has several master judges on the team here so please know that just about any technical questions can be answered here with confidence.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »
So Jerry what's your take on the link and discussion I posted previously here in this thread? I know you are apparently not welcome on the SYC site anymore but it won't stop you peeking in at it and commenting on a the very similar stamping that 'experts' there are saying was  an obvious fake...

If the comment about 'alternator school' was meant for me - I did qualify that I was not an expert and was only basing any comments I had on that SYC thread discussion and description of the stamping mentioned in the attached link...thanks

Randy

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:54:45 AM »
The auction in question is mine.  And I have received alot of questions and opinions through eBay from a lot of arm chair quarterbacks.  Saw this thread about it so thought I should comment.  I 100% bought this from Jerry M. in January '08, I went to his shop to take some pictures of my 302 he was redoing for me and he said he had a perfect alternator for my 06A car, since it was close to Xmas I said that if he could hold it I would take it and in January '08 the deal was done.  It has been in a warm dry place ever since.  Fast forward, my kid needs ortho work and the wife started eyeballing my NOS body panels and I bulked so we compromised and I opted to auction off my prized alternator.  I trust Jerry M's opinion on this and seeing that he has already commented I really don't have to say much, but I will add this, if someone who can testify in a court of law like Jerry has and say this is NOT real then maybe that opinion might hold some water, but I have not seen that opinion yet and I'm sure I won't.  With all do respect Randy, I went to the SYC site and the last post references my auction, the post was on the 6th and no one has commented saying that this is a restamp, and the descriptions posted prior, in my opinion only verify more this is the real thing.  The real problem for me is that once posted on eBay I have entered into a contract to sell this item, and wrong opinions could be killing my auction.  I started the auction low, I assumed that risk, I just want to make sure that this item gets the proper consideration that it IS what it is being advertised as, a REAL 837 alternator not a restamp.

Thanks,

Jerry K.
Taneytown, MD

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:52:30 AM »
I posted the photos to help prove that your alternator was real.......period.  It matches the two that I have posted on this site.  I don't see how there can be anymore discussion.  What else can I say?

Jerry

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:08:57 AM »
You should link this thread to your auction
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:46:29 AM »
Good move!

Jerry

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:46 AM »
 Jerry K.
 I appreciate the background on your alternator and the tale behind it all - and I hope it pays the bills - I know how expensive that type of stuff is from personal experience and family certainly always is more important than toys in my mind!
As for this thread and comments:  I have and had no real knowledge or opinion, nor do I even care if any of these alternators are restamped or not, as I was never a buyer - I just posted the link I did, in the hope that more and/or better information might be available to anyone looking to bid..
It appears as though that I inadvertently crapped in some Corn Flakes here by do so and passing along a link to that other site that is not a favorite of all who frequent CRG, and in doing so I have seemingly been chastised with the 'alternator school' remark as I took it..
That linked sYc site also has an 'aknowledged collection of experts' just as this one does, and all are entitled to share opinions in both, obviously.
I have been shocked at how posters over on the sYc site often get abused by some of those same experts, insiders, or regulars there if they did not 'march to the beat' or were not part of 'the regulars group' and for that very reason alone I always preferred and felt more comfortable here.
This has always been until now, a great place for me to post, question, or seek information for my own purposes and I've always been very grateful for the much of the assistance I've been given over the years.
Guess I can be accused of being more than a bit naive in my comfrort level here though, as I now plainly see there are many similarities in both sites in how easily a comment or an effort to assist here can backfire and/or bend fragile egos and ruffle feathers pretty quickly and easily - and no I'm not referring to you...
This has all certainly temperd my enthusiasm going forward... Again, Jerry K., I appreciate your response and info here - good luck with your listing.-

Randy

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »
Dutch, I suspect the alternator school comment was to the detractors on the other site.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »
Oh,

Here's another........I have several on that date! 

I probably have more original stampings for components than anyone as I created a data base on parts many years ago from on-site inspections and parts that come to us for restoration.  Call or e-mail me for any questions.  If I didn't see these anomalies on this date, I would be concerned.

CRG has several master judges on the team here so please know that just about any technical questions can be answered here with confidence.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

I'm one of the "Arm chair quarterbacks" and I still dont see these stamps as genuine. In this pic. It looks as if the 7's were stamped with different tools. And the depths are inconsistant. I'm not trying to start any trouble here. I trying to learn for I am in the market for Two 837's missing from my cars.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
L78Steve,

That is why I posted several photos of other originals owned by customers off their cars so all can see that there were anomalies with the tooling at different times of the year.  I posted these photos to help everyone on the forum........period.  The alternator on Ebay and two that I posted match...........period.  I have others on that date which are also identical.  How many should I post?  Many in the hobby think that the workers building these parts worked with fine white gloves and treated every part like their first born baby.  John Hinckley who is the biggest asset to our hobby has helped out here at CRG and other forums telling everyone just how it was back in the day.

With digital cameras coming into play in the 21st century, things have changed quite a bit.  I now have over 10,000 photos in my Camaro data base.  I use that data to help out here and do my on site certifications and reports.  Unfortunately due to the politics in the hobby, the Camaro hobby will never be a perfect world.  We just have to move forward and make the best decisions that we can based on the informantion that is given to us by experienced experts.  Jerry K's alternator is real, it's not a fake.  The other photos I posted prove that out.  If anyone of us had seen that "E" stamp date without others to compare it to, we'd say it was a definite restamp.  We now know differently.

Right now I'm searching out an original vintage 1958 Fender Stratocaster guitar.  It's one of the last things on my bucket list.  They are very expensive and unfortunately there is not nearly enough forums, or cordial experts out there to guide me in my search.  Geroge Gruhn @ Gruhn Guitars in Nashville is the leading authority in the world on guitars.  Try getting a hold of him to ask silly questions like I have.  We have it easy in the Camaro world.

If you find any alternators that match what you need Steve, send me a photo or post it here and I'll post photos of the date in question if it's in my data base. 

Jerry       

rszmjt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »
My own 06A Z28 original alternator is dated 9E23 as well and it does share ALL the same anomalies. My stamp looks like the 2 that Jerry has posted in this link. The 00 are faint as well as the 837 being heavy and the bottom half of the first 7 is faint.
What puzzles me about the ebay alt is the last 7 font, (in the 37A stamp) looks different to mine and the ones that Jerry Posted. The leg appears straight. I suppose that there was different characters used from time to time.
I personally think the ebay alternator is real.
 I have owned my Z28 since 1973, 42,000 mile Survivor and the alternator is with out a doubt 100% original, it still has the CZ ink stamp very faintly just behind the date stamp on the alternator back half.