Author Topic: Problem Adjusting Hood  (Read 10817 times)

IZRSSS

Problem Adjusting Hood
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »
Can anyone give me advise on how to level off the right corner of this hood? I have loosened & lowered the hinge on the pic as far as it allows and is still 3/8" high. The hood is a repop which I'm sure doesn't help. Any advise or tricks of the trade would be much appreciated.

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Problem Adjusting Hood
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:42:00 AM »
You have to alter the hinge geometry, not just lower it. Loosen the rear hinge to fender bolt and lift the front of the hood all the way, thus pivoting the hinge. Now tighten the bolt. You may have to loosen the front bolt ever so slightly depending on resistance. It can be done solo. This is a very common issue and misunderstood alignment procedure. And lube the hinges too.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:01:33 AM by Sauron327 »

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:48:55 AM »
Thank you Sauron...nice to know its a common occurrence and not something with the repop hood. I'll give it a go in the morning...looks like we have a game after all... :)

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Gained about an 1/8" of an inch. Thats about it... ???

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 03:14:16 PM »
Can only provide basic bodywork procedures. Job, part assessment and repair execution lies in the person performing the task and their knowledge of the field. Components and sheetmetal are also variables. Often one can pivot the hinges and the hood will go below the fender. If yours cannot, begin further analysis.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
Over in the "Body Shop" forum at Team Camaro (www.camaros.net), poster "MartinSR" has an excellent tutorial on hood-fitting, which explains the hinge geometry and the counter-intuitive process for establishing the height of the rear of the hood; it's well worth reading.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »
Could not locate, can someone give me the link to MartinSR's tutorial?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
Yes, he does provide a generous in depth explanation. It's actually quite simple, basically self explanatory once undertaken, and standard procedure in the business as is all basic panel alignment. I've been doing it for over 20 years. Here's his instruction: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=413681 If you are not used to doing these things solo, it may be easier to acquire assistance.

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 12:58:25 AM »
Would the cowl seal be causing part of he problem??
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:13:01 AM »
It could, but generally it affects the entire back. Take it off and max that puppy out, it should bury the hood lower than the fender. Job assessment as I stated. I know it sounds simple but it is only bodywork.

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:15 AM »
Would the cowl seal be causing part of he problem??

I've had body shops look at it  ???  my savvy car guys looked at it  ???... and I've tinkered with it for as long as I've owned it, and nothing ever worked...  jacmac...you nailed it!!!   Pulled out the seal and look at it now...very cool!

Now if I can just figure out what to do with the seal. Seems like a much easier task compared to what I was dealing with before.

Thanks jacmac!

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 01:38:29 AM »
Why is the cowl panel higher than the hood?

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 01:39:39 AM »
Marty, Do you have a GM hood? The hood could be bent? The picture shown looks as if the hood doesn't have the same curve as your cowl panel. It is lower towards the middle or looks that way??I've been messing with these cars for 36 years now and sometimes you need to bend/treak the aftermarket hoods in order to make them fit. I've seen plenty bodyman fail to make things fit before making it pretty.Hope you get it corrected. RSR

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »
You might try heating and pressing flat the seal. Put it back on, heat with either a super hot blow drier or something of that nature (make sure it isn't hot enough to damage paint and then close the hood and weight it in such a way to "crush" or flatten the seal. It may also be possible that the lip it attaches to on the cowl cover is tweaked up further than it should be.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »
He said it's a repop hood. I've had to massage more than one.

IZRSSS

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 01:56:27 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. Let me first enjoy seeing both rear corners sit flush for once in 5yrs.

I may try lowering the cowl, but that's about as far as I want to go with it right now. I think bending the hood is a great idea but I have visions of tearing up the paint in the process. The next order of business {when budget allows} is to purchase an original GM hood and get it done right. Once I have it in hand I will follow your suggestions here and not be afraid to hammer, pry, bend, etc.

If you know how to massage without tearing it up, please let me know.... maybe some rags between the cowl and the edge of the hood ???

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 03:48:07 AM »
You need to see them adjust the hoods in the plant today. A big rubber mallet used to both hit the hood and to close the hood on it. It's pretty dramatic, but works. And they know what they are doing.... :)
Kurt S
CRG

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 04:41:50 AM »
   A few years back I bought a GM cowl induction hood and I just couldn't get it mostly to fit the contour of the cowl panel especially on the driver's side, but also the surrounding metal at the front corners and front center peak.
   Finally I got frustrated enough with playing around with the latch, bumpers, and hinges, and placed it on my wood patio deck with towels under it in specific places as to not dent or crimp it and even more towels below and on top of the areas where I thought it need a little tweaking and went for it.
   After an afternoon of careful pushing and bumping (usually with the flats of my hands) it came out even, level, and now fits perfect...
   Just take your time and don't try to do too much all at once. Keep checking it as you go even if it means multiple installs back on the car - which is really the only true measure of success and progress - and especially again, keep it all well padded.

Randy

IZRSSS

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 11:28:17 AM »
Dutch...good sound advise.

Thanks

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »
Take a 1X4 block of wood about 3" long wrapped in a towel. Lay it between the low spot of the hood and the cowl panel. Gently close the hood forcing the low spot up. A little more pressure if it don't move the first time. Just don't get crazy with it and it will come up and not damage the paint.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
Dan,

This sounds good in theory but wouldn't I have to maintain downward pressure in the areas indicated by the red arrows? Otherwise wouldn't I throw these out of whack? I don't have much room for error at any one of these points...

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »
With the weight of the hood resting on the blocks push down on the corners. This will help raise the low spots. If you get it to move then you can readjust the hinge to get the overall fit.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »
Keep working at it Marty,I have an original hood on my car & now that the paint is done I need to tackle that problem next.I have an after market seal & I think that is my problem.I hope I have an easier time at it!!
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

IZRSSS

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »
Thanks Jack...I will eventually try the recommendations posted here but I don't want to risk damaging the hood in any way. I have a show coming up at the end of March and knowing me I'll S#$@% something up...

anything