Author Topic: 67 door hinge repair  (Read 3357 times)

1967RSxxx

• View Profile
67 door hinge repair
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
I need to change the detent rollers on both doors and the other bushings could stand to be changed to. Has anyone attempted to do this without pulling the doors maybe just using a jack to hold to the door in place and do them one by one? If so should I pull each hinge or can it be done while in place. I know removing it would probably be easier but I don't have much help. I found kits on Heartbeat and Classic Muscle what they sell has the detent roller pin being drilled and tapped is this the only one out there or is there any original style pins available. Or any other suggestions you experts would have for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kerry
Kerry

1967 RS

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: 67 door hinge repair
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
Years ago I tried a drill and tap type detent repair kit, thing snapped off after a short period.  But maybe they're making them better now?

If you decide to replace you can carefully do one at a time and leave the door in place plus be close to correct door alignment from the start.  For a rebuild I wouldn't leave the door dangling that long a period.  Which ever way you go, have a buddy help you, even if they can just balance the door.  The last thing you need is the door flapping around on one hinge as the jack or dolly slides away and your fingers get crushed.

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: 67 door hinge repair
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:18:46 PM »
NPD has the correct detent replacements, I'm sure others do as well. It's the whole detent, not the screw in replacement. Part# C-10464-53A. Just pull the door off, it's not hard and just requires patience. Done it countless times alone without damaging anything. If you don't have a floorjack pinchweld adaptor you can make one from a block of wood to accomodate the jack saddle and door hem. Self expanatory woodworking. With 2 people it's a cake walk. Here's a visual: http://www.chevypunch.com/issues/march2007.pdf