Author Topic: Dash Pad Restoration  (Read 17491 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
Dash Pad Restoration
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »
I need to restore or replace the dash pad on my 68 coupe.  Any recommendations on the best place to find a good quality replacement.  I have all the catalogs: Ricks, Classic, Year One, NPD, etc., etc. but not sure who has the best.  Or...should I send it to Just Dashes for a rebuild?   

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Dash Pad Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
Just Dashes. The repops are a POOR substitute.

Ed

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
Al Knoch. Recent improvements in procedures have produced the best quality so far. Except for not nailing the grain 100%, they don't appear entirely unacceptable.  Until this I would rather have an original with a small crack than any other bloated, poorly done pad. I had someone's  '68 here and the Just Dashes pad was very bad and easily spotted. If they have vastly improved their product in recent months it is news to me. Read here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190353

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:58:20 AM »
I just purchased one from Heartbeat City. They have two qualities, I purchased the more expensive one and I am happy with the fit,  color and texture. I can't comment as to whether or not it is the exact texture as the original.

Vic
Vic Brincat
1968 Camaro RS Convertible - 327

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:10:39 AM »
I just purchased one from Heartbeat City. They have two qualities, I purchased the more expensive one and I am happy with the fit,  color and texture. I can't comment as to whether or not it is the exact texture as the original.

Vic

Do you have any photos of this pad shot from multiple angles? I'd like to see if all the countours, flat areas and radii are as good or better than the Al Knoch pad.  

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:14 AM »
I actually installed it and removed it, because the car is at the paint shop.

So if you don't mind the pictures of the dash as a "stand-alone", yes, I can get some for you. I can probably get a close up of the texture, too.
If stand-alone is okay, I'lltake the pics tonight.

Vic
Vic Brincat

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »
Alone is fine and no rush at all. Is the pad's quality and accuracy equivelent to the Knoch pad in the above link?

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:21 AM »
Tried posting this several times and had issues with the pics..hope it doesn't end up posting duplicates...

I don't think I can make a fair comparison between my unit and the Knoch pad. I think you would have to have them side by side to really compare.
I am not sure if the pad that came with my car is even original. I can tell you that the replcament I purchased  is better quality than the one I pulled out. It fits better, is stronger and has clearer grain.

I have attched some pics. Please reveiew and judge for yourself. The funny color is just the reflection off teh blanket I used to protect the pad from the surface of my workbench.

Hope this helps!!

Vic
Vic Brincat

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »
Al Knoch. Recent improvements in procedures have produced the best quality so far. Except for not nailing the grain 100%, they don't appear entirely unacceptable.  Until this I would rather have an original with a small crack than any other bloated, poorly done pad. I had someone's  '68 here and the Just Dashes pad was very bad and easily spotted. If they have vastly improved their product in recent months it is news to me. Read here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190353
I agree on the Al Knoch dash pad as I purchased one and did a comparison. And great pricing as well! Elliot at Al Knoch is a key person to talk to as he's been involved with the camaro projects. Just dashes pads are too bloated and too expensive. They have some great products and services but not the dash pad IMHO.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »
It was mentioned earlier that that it was not know if it was the original was being replaced. Is there any way to tell a OEM, markings or anything?
Brad
RSSS

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »
bc69,

I still have the dash pad that came with the car when I purchased it. Looking at  it closer, I notice that there are small spots where the color has "chipped" off and the black under color is coming through. I have to assume that this was probably a black dash that was dyed or painted..and since my interioir is medium blue, I would say it is not the factory dash pad.

Vic
Vic Brincat

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »
And great pricing as well! Elliot at Al Knoch is a key person to talk to as he's been involved with the camaro projects.

Chick -

Any idea where Elliot might be located - or just where ever 1-800 number they show on their site takes me?
I have a friend who Winters in Fla and I thought he said Knoch had a shop somewhere not all that far from him where he ordered a lot of his '57 Vette interior stuff.
   Id like to talk to Elliot and see how best to get my old one recovered but the logistics of being so far away and not getting it damaged in such a long return shipping is daunting for me - maybe he can suggest some ideas and tell me more about the final product...

Thx - Randy

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
And great pricing as well! Elliot at Al Knoch is a key person to talk to as he's been involved with the camaro projects.

Chick -

Any idea where Elliot might be located - or just where ever 1-800 number they show on their site takes me?
I have a friend who Winters in Fla and I thought he said Knoch had a shop somewhere not all that far from him where he ordered a lot of his '57 Vette interior stuff.
   Id like to talk to Elliot and see how best to get my old one recovered but the logistics of being so far away and not getting it damaged in such a long return shipping is daunting for me - maybe he can suggest some ideas and tell me more about the final product...

Thx - Randy

I assumed Randy he is in TX but not sure. Email them at alknoch@flash.net and ask how best to get a hold of Elliott. Believe he is the owners son but he is who worked with me. I know the shipping thing concerns us but things more fragile and worth much more are shipped everyday so no worries. I also have one of their or possibly his business cards and will take a look. I'm lucky, they are at a lot of Carlisle events and easy to drop off and pick up at the next event.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »
Thanks...

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
The "Just Dash's" restored pads that we judged at the Camaro Nats were not very good at all.  The quality of the work was fine but the pad was now much larger like it was fed steroids.  The radius rounded ends and curves were very oversize and not even close to an original.  They are very expensive too. 

Just by looking at the pad in the car, you could see it was not right. 

I do think that some of the resto companies are doing their homework now and better repro pads are on the horizon.

Jerry