Author Topic: opinions---CE block or close original  (Read 14221 times)

shupee

• View Profile
opinions---CE block or close original
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »
  Thought I would ask what you guys would do. My 1968 Z28 popped the original engine when it was 6-7 months old. I know this since I talk to the original owner frequently and we've become buddies over the years. I know where the CE engine for my car is (a friend of his brother still has it), but he won't sell.
  I have the 477646 block discussed in another post which is approx. 2000 from my car.  A correct CE has surfaced on this forum. Should I buy the CE block and put all my 302 stuff in or run the MO shortblock I already have.  The car does exist that my MO is from but owner is not interested.
  opinions please  Thanks guys

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: opinions---CE block or close original
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
What's your primary goal with the car, especially since no one on either end seems interested in original?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
Since I am not up on the lingo, I will assume a CE block is a warranty replacement block for a 302. If you actually had the one that was installed under warranty and the warranty paperwork it would be about as close to numbers matching as possible. If its not the one installed and documented, a little lower on the scale but still better than a stick in the eye. If you haven't already, I would get the original owner to write as much of that kind of stuff down and have it noterized, not the best documentation but something. As far as the other numbered block, I would only use it if I couldn't afford the CE block since the car does still exist. If the guy that owns it has a change of heart, or sells it at a later date and then the new owner wets his pants to find out the original block still exist, you will have to disassemble your car to sell it too then. For the life of me I cant figure out why the owner of the other car wouldn't be interested.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
I think I would put his MO in your car. You know it is a real MO. A CE might have also been used in a non Z car.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »
Not clear cut.
But I think I'd rather run the real MO.....
Kurt S
CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »
The MO in your car is the best way to go.  The only way the CE blocks will benefit you is if you have the original dealer paperwork and invoice when it was installed.  From a judging standpoint, having an original factory stamped engine is the next best thing to having the original engine to the vehicle.  Should be dated correct for the car too.  If your car was built in April and you have a June MO engine, that's not good either, but the best way to go until you find an original that matches your car.  That is why it's always best to search out engines that are dated correct for your car.

Restoration blocks (blocks that are restamped to match the car) will net you more points at a show than a CE without dealer paperwork.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »
PUT THE CORRECTLY DATED MO IN IT KENNY!
Did you put a solid roller in it?
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
I personally like the CE option but I guess I'm in the minority.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

427-KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
Insert Quote
"I personally like the CE option but I guess I'm in the minority."

Couldnt agree more. Any car could have come w a proper warranty motor, but it never could have come with someone elses motor. Plus you can sell the MO for alot more and use the money for other parts on the car to improve it .

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
He will be in the CE for what he is in the MO the engine is no more valuable to Ken than to any other 68 Z owner other than owner of the car to which it belongs, and he has not expressed interest in the original block. So what if the car has it's brother's engine, the engine could have been in his car, had the order come in earlier/later, it was just dumb luck his was warrantied early, could have just as well been the NY car... If he had the paperwork and/or THE CE which was warranty replaced I would be of a different opinion.
James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:15:29 PM »
But at least with a MO motor you know it started life as a Z28 engine. You don't know that with a CE.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »
"Life is Now", so GO with the MO!    :)

Paul

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 04:09:47 PM »
T
Restoration blocks (blocks that are restamped to match the car) will net you more points at a show than a CE without dealer paperwork.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Wow!!  So you get bonus points for re-stamping a block.  Sounds like NCRS creeping in.  Recreating a car and getting praise for it.  Then it gets sold and muddied up and someone gets burned.  Don't like the idea that re-stamping gets you praise nor points.  I must be missing something here   ???
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 03:54:08 AM »
 I'm personally putting together a CE block for my 68 Z. For me the CE block was a lot less expensive then a MO block and looking for one that would fit time frame for the car is easier. The MO block has to be cast just prior to build date of the car (30 days or so) but the CE could be from any time frame after the car was built. Once all the correct 302 parts are in the CE it's going to run just like a MO block, so for me it made more since. Even with the MO block it is still not correct for the car.

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
We are going to put the date correct MO (which is with-in 2000 VIN's of Kenny's VIN) in his car and do some firewall/engine compartment detailing while it's out.
James