Author Topic: 1969 LM1 Camaro; Restore or Pro-Tour?  (Read 8700 times)

diverx151

• View Profile
1969 LM1 Camaro; Restore or Pro-Tour?
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:48:48 AM »
Greetings to all from a new member. I would like to ask for some help with my decision making concerning the following Camaro:

I own a pre-X code 1969 LM1 Camaro. The car is complete, but in rough shape. (Needs rear frame rails & quarter panels, along with some floor & trunk pan work.) This was a recent barn find from Indiana. (Car was parked since 1982 when it apparently went down for brakes.) The engine and trans still work great. The car is all original EXCEPT for the short block; it is a 1973 "CE" warranty replacement block. The original top-end from Tonowanda is still there (heads & intake), along with the factory A/C, PWR Drum brakes, dual fuel lines, 12 bolt non-posi rear, and 2spd Power Glide Trans.

I know that the LM1's were a low production number, and coupled with the factory A/C, "Power-Slide" trans. and power drums, it makes it more so.

This was a Norwood car built in Oct '68, Daytona Yellow, black vinyl top, and standard black interior. Other than the rusty 1982 Indiana tag from when she went in the barn, there is no "providence" for her. (No build sheet, protecto, or window decal.) All deciphering was from VIN and cowl tags, and lots of help from info on this site and the LM1 registry.

I am torn between wanting to restore her to her former glory (very intrigued by the LM1 factor, but obviously concerned about the CE Warranty short block), or get crazy & butcher her for a pro-tour/pro street driver. Any recommendations, opinions, or friendly advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 LM1 Camaro; Restore or Pro-Tour?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »
In my opinion LM1s are not worth the cash and effort it will take to fix this one. To the average guy SS and Z/28 means something; LM1 does not. And they aren't as rare as you think: 10,406 produced.

I bet you would get more enjoyment out of a PT build up. Broom the Powerglide; it was obsolete in '69.
Learning more and more about less and less...

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »
The CE block negates the "original" factor, The repairs will be extensive and costly, The market is correcting itself as far as an investment is concerned. If you were to sell it a some point in time  a quality pro street car will bring much more than money that a restored LM1 car.  I would go externally factory looking and internally pro-touring. Make what you want and have fun doing it!
  Victor
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:40:57 AM »
ANYTHING but pro-touring! Back half it and go pro-street, solves the frame rail issue and gives you the liberty of any power train and power adders you want. Just my opinion, but that would probably be easiest and most cost effective. I really like day 2 cars, so I might choose to go that way, in find that is what I did with my first one, although we didn't call it day 2 back then and that is how my son's will be built.

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
Pro Touring or Pro Street.. Can't stand either.

Build a nice car, but Factory Appearing. ..a Resto Mod if you will.

I am so over the bling, parts overkill and chopping up of these classic cars.

Want a beautiful looking, fast car?
Take a leaf. http://www.fastraces.org/
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »
I tend to think the resto-mod route is more flexible / less commited. With a little change in direction, it could be either pro-touring or more original.

I'd be interested in the #'s from it. Don't see many LM1's with a powerglide.

Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »
No big loss if you mod the car. The chassis is already toast and the cost to put it all back is not going to make sense money wise. Get the data for historical purposes and chop away. It will be more fun and maybe you will get more back if/when you sell. I saw a nice modded '69 on Mecum get bid up higher than what I was expecting yesterday. You don't get all the money out either way.

-Mark.

diverx151

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice and opinions. I have been mulling over much of the same thoughts since returning from Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale last week. I've attended the past two years, and also noted the drop in Camaro pricing. I thought the 69 Z28s were selling cheap due to the fact there were 20 or so of them up for auction, but even the COPOs and Pro-Tour versions all brought less than last year.

Thank you again for the advice. I am leaning towards Kurt's reccomendation of a "Resto-mod" for financial and driveability reasons.

Happy Roddin'!  -Tony

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
COPO clone!!
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 02:04:53 AM »
I don't think there are many cars that are selling for what they cost to restore these days.

Of course, I am partial to the LM1's :)

If you are in it for the money these days, then you will probably regret it in the long run.

If it's your dream car, then build it like what you always wanted. If it has to be sold later and you do well, then that's a plus. If not, then you can just keep it. :)

Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School

anything