Author Topic: FISHER BODY MEASUREMENT  (Read 10059 times)

Dave69rag

• View Profile
FISHER BODY MEASUREMENT
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:48:55 AM »
I am quite sure that this may have been asked before, however, I had no luck searching for definitive answer.  I am trying to find out the rear frame rail spacing on a first generation Camaro.  The measurement I need verification on is the "K" dimension shown in the Fisher Body manual.  This measurement is taken between the inboard edges of the rear frame rails at the centerline of the rear shackle bolt hole.  The Fisher Body manual is showing 42 7/8".  I have found some information that stated that the Fisher Body manual is incorrect and the actual measurement is 43 7/8.  My project car has a dented and rusted frame rail, so I could not accurately verify this measurement.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: FISHER BODY MEASUREMENT
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:50:42 AM »
Dave, there are quite a few guys doing complete body rebuilds - some with very long threads going describing them in great detail (along with exchanges of lots of measurements involving the framerails and wheel tubs etc) over on the Team Camaro site / forums / body shop - check it out...

http://www.camaros.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Randy

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:22 AM »
Dave,

K = 43 7/8" at this website...   http://1stgencamaro.net/frame.htm

Paul

Dave69rag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I still do not know what measurement is correct.  There has to be someone on this site that has some first hand knowledge of the correct measurement.  Hopefully they will read this post and let me know.

rodent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
Dave,

K = 43 7/8" at this website...   http://1stgencamaro.net/frame.htm

Paul

There are a few measurements on that website that are different to the Fisher body manual?

67 RS Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:24:03 AM »
Dave,
  If you are still concerned about this dimension, I will happily measure my 67 for you, as they are the original rails - advise please.

Dave69rag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
I would appreciate the measurement.

Thanks

67 RS Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:50:12 AM »
My 67 measures 43 and 15/16 wide, so I would assume the 43 and 7/8 would be a correct measurement. The measurement was taken inside the rails, just below centerline of the shackle bushing mount areas.

Dave69rag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »
67 RS Ragtop - thanks for taking the time to get the measurement for me.  Since I first posted the question, I have been able to take measurements from 2 cars.  Of course, each one was different.  If anyone has a free moment and could measure the frame rail spacing, it would be appreciated.  If I had a few more verified measurements, it would help.

Dave

CJP_69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
Dave,
For whatever it is worth, I took several measurements. The rear springs and tank are out of my 69 pace car. Measuring inboard edge to inboard edge, using a stanley fatmax tape measure with bushings and a bolt in place to get the centerline, I came up with 42 1/2". Went right to left, left to right, several times to eliminate any possible error on my part. I also did this on my 69 x22 coupe drag car, which still has factory rails, but has coil overs and a fuel cell in the trunk. I came up with 42 9/16". Both cars have the original rails. Hope this helps.

Chris
Chris

Dave69rag

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate it.

Dave

anything